The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Punch Through Mods

kakii

Question

16 answers to this question

There usefull if you have the space and polarities to fit them, as bieng able to rip through multiple targets and cover is a good feature, and while that sounds niche, its usefull as you can hide away behind a wall and still be able to hit a target, or place a decoy/molt and shoot through it like a lesser version of volts shield. A problem is that opertunities where there usefull seem to dwindle when you actually equip them, so if you like the idea of bieng able to fight without risk or annilating hordes quicker, it might be usefull.

No rifle should be without punch-through IMO. Shred eliminates all excuses IMO. Large variety of applicable situations, from doors to shield lancers to hallways to enemies using partial cover and so on.

Shotguns are a little more iffy because of falloff and wider cone of fire. You need rifle-like situations that you're comfortable getting really close to. For much of the early and mid game this is a no brainier if you have a shotgun with a ton of capacity and you're over killing everything then by all means throw it on there, but late game when you can actually die and you want all the damage you can get it becomes tricky choice IMO. Case by case basis.

Pistols I think I'd usually say no. On the forums people put one weapon at a time under the microscope and I love punch-through so you may find people saying to use the pistol punch-through mod, but really you should think of your guns as a set that works together. The rifle should be the one with punch through IMO. Shred just makes it ideal.

Edited by VKhaun

no they are mostly useless i mean why punch through them when you can do so much dmg with a boltor that the enemies go flying when you shoot them. unless you have a extra mod slot

Edited by rechot

no they are mostly useless i mean why punch through them when you can do so much dmg with a boltor that the enemies go flying when you shoot them. unless you have a extra mod slot

More damage is effectively better DPS-wise, but for most content that's not crazy high-level stuff, punch-through has more utility than simply more dakka.

Also, punch-through is much more effective in crowds and in dealing with enemies like Shield Lancers, something that single-target DPS can't really account for. Shred is awesome because it gives the weapon utility in punch-through, and an extra DPS-boost with the firing rate (without making the gun gobble up ammo too quickly).

I never use them, it's super nice to have punch through but they are just too expensive(Metal auger drains as much as split chamber? naah skip). The only time I'd say it'll be nice is when you have a weapon you want to increase the fire rate, you can go with shred which have firerate and punch through, I bet it shreds everything.

Is there any specific weapon/build that has punch through as a mandatory/very nice to have?

Assault rifles. More versaitle weapons find themselves with the most opportunities to exploit it. Especially those with medium accuracy like Karak with Heavy Caliber.

Sniper rifles, if they can spare the damage. Enemies are uncannily accurate at times, but they tend to be the most still when behind cover and not firing, making for the easiest shots at the lowest risk. Generally not needed, but on nightmare missions with no shields or very high damage enemies, this can be a game changer.

Any time you fight the infested you either want punch-through or a projectile weapon (boltor / paris etc.) because the dead bodies will animate for a bit and block all your shots, making you waste ammo that could be hitting the next target back. Punch-through will let you shoot through them. Projectiles will throw the body out of the way.

Endless missions vs Grineer are a good time for punch-through. When shield lancers are few and independent it's not a big deal to give them haircut shots, but when there's fifty Grineer filling a hallway with smoke and fire all over the place you do not have time to single out shield lancers or work around them. You want to fill that hallway with lots and lots of bullets and dead people, so punch-through is both useful for multi-target and for going through their shields.

Is there any specific weapon/build that has punch through as a mandatory/very nice to have?

Paris Prime has an innate punch through when you fully charge it.  Usually I prefer Fast Hands over Shred since I can't fit both on without sacrificing the damage/100+% crit rating.