Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So, Would You Buy More From The Market If The Prices Were More Reasonable?

D3ST

I'm reminded of what happened after Arcane Helmets got taken off the market. Every helmet was offered for like 75 plat in the market prior to being taken off. When I went to the trade market for some helmets (after they were off the market I paid like 25 plat at most for each helmet all being told. I found it interesting that I was able to get almost all arcane helmets for like a couple hundred plat when in the market that would get me 2 helmets at most. I think the plat prices are fine. If you dig into the trade market you can get what you want for a bit cheaper.

At least PC players may occasionally get 75% off, which makes things in the market not that much at all. 

The only thing I but is cosmetics and slots anyhow. I would never buy weapons or warframes regardless of their price.

That 75% discount seems more and more like a myth though,

in my 18 months of playing WF,  never once have i even seen it in the rotations on the daily log-on rewards menu.

seen the 50% a couple of times, but never actually gotten it.

It would be a risk if they lowered the prices, because we can make platinum without paying. 

Their only way to keep people paying for platinums is to keep the prices high enough to prevent them from buying everything with free money.

You have a good point here.

but the option to trade Plat was just recently implemented in the game, the prices have been ludicris since day one of open beta..

so that cant really be the argument against lowering the prices.

Besides, the plat (even the plat gotten through trading) was at ONE point paid for with real mony, by the original buyer

(execpt if it were won on the live stream)

Personally, If the prices were lower, yes, I would spend more money or platinum to buy things from the market. Some should stay the same, but most should be lowered. Rare Resources (excluding Oxium) should be bought for the same amount for 10x more. Color Picker sets and Alternate Helmets should be 50 plat. And Warframe and Weapons should be lowered as well, but should scale to how much Mastery Rank needed and how far into the star chart you need to be to acquire that certain warframe/weapon (Miter and T. Gremlins).

If DE does decide to change it, I think they should return some of the plat they took from whoever bought it on the market.

Do you agree, or disagree, what do you think of what I said?

Edited by MyHappyFace

Someone did pay for that platinum, you realize.

People, please refrain from trying to argue platinum prices from the point of view of DE. We have not been given anything in regards to how platinum is used on the market. Conjecture on how platinum is spent in-game is pointless, if not actively harmful to the discussion.

The question is not "Can DE make money with cheaper prices?" But, "Do you, as a consumer feel the prices are fair?" And we can only argue that from the consumer's point of view.

Platinum is such a racket/scam right now. So many players with alt accounts abusing/exploiting events/alerts/mods. You can make infinite plat in this game without spending one red cent of real life money. How is DE benefiting from that?

I kind of wish the cosmetics would be cheaper at least the new ones in particular, I was looking at the Iliac set which looked interesting but it's a whopping 200 plat, then I looked at the syandana alone and it's 85 plat, that's 5 bucks without a discount. I liked it better when the syandanas were priced at 50P. I mean it actually just hit me how much the syandana alone costs when I ended up buying the Rubedo Yamako Syandana and the Phased Asa Syandana for under 50 cents on the Steam Market.

Another thing that came to mind was that the Asa Syandana was changed. When it first came out it had this really neat outline, which gave it form. Now though it seems to me that it was edited, lacking the outline it had when it first came out and it doesn't matter what color I choose now it's just this bland energy tail at the back of my head.

What?  Are you talking about trading Platinum with other players?  You know they had to buy that, right?

The problem is that now, when you want a syandana you can get the platinum for free, even if the first person who got this platinum did pay for that. 

The fact you can get it for free gives you a reason to not buy it, whereas a high price in the market somehow makes you buy to get it in an easier way. 

I'm pretty sure DE makes less money from platinum purchases since they enabled plat trading. 

Maybe they earn more because there are more players, and because of Prime Access. But if the playerbase didn't grow up and if they didn't bring Prime Access, they would earn far less than before. 

The problem is that now, when you want a syandana you can get the platinum for free, even if the first person who got this platinum did pay for that. 

The fact you can get it for free gives you a reason to not buy it, whereas a high price in the market somehow makes you buy to get it in an easier way. 

I'm pretty sure DE makes less money from platinum purchases since they enabled plat trading. 

Maybe they earn more because there are more players, and because of Prime Access. But if the playerbase didn't grow up and if they didn't bring Prime Access, they would earn far less than before. 

I think the more players justified the plat trading. They aren't quite losing money, others players are paying for other players' market purchases. In trading, I've 'earned' roughly 4k platinum, and spent around 3k of it. So, we can say that I have 'spent' $150 on the game, yet I still hadn't spent a dime. Trading provides an even larger incentive to buy large chunks of platinum to get the newest and shiniest toys out there.

Personally, If the prices were lower, yes, I would spend more money or platinum to buy things from the market. Some should stay the same, but most should be lowered. Rare Resources (excluding Oxium) should be bought for the same amount for 10x more. Color Picker sets and Alternate Helmets should be 50 plat. And Warframe and Weapons should be lowered as well, but should scale to how much Mastery Rank needed and how far into the star chart you need to be to acquire that certain warframe/weapon (Miter and T. Gremlins).

If DE does decide to change it, I think they should return some of the plat they took from whoever bought it on the market.

Do you agree, or disagree, what do you think of what I said?

I agree that would be nice, but never gonna happen.

If prices on things were cheaper, I wouldn't be spending any more money on it than I already have. To me, it's less about "OMG outrageous prices!" and more a case of "how much would I be willing to spend on this game" - which I understand isn't the main way people look at it. I started off with just the two frame slots, and played for a good 3 or 4 months (iirc) without spending any money. I came back around update 9 or 10, sank more hours into it, and then looked at my overall investment. 

Since tieing it to steam, I've amassed over 550 hours of time spent playing. That tells me that I have at least around double that total, meaning I've gotten a good 1000 hours of playtime out of this game so far (and haven't stopped playing yet, although I enjoy taking breaks when the grind gets monotonous) - considering the average $60 game nets me somewhere between 10-40 hours of game time, I figured that spending (prime access) dollars on this game was just a drop in the proverbial pond oh how much this game's value actually was to me, all the while preventing me from having to experience that grind that causes one to get burnt out so fast for something I knew I was going to want.

So no, lower prices wouldn't make me spend any more money to play. Would I be more tempted? Not really, I might feel like I'm getting a better deal when I did buy things, but the fact remains that personally it provides no more drive for me to spend money - but I'm not much of an impulse spender either.

I might buy stuff, just to have it on release day, if I thought more of it was priced reasonably. As it is I just buy cosmetics, slots, and the occasional potato if I want one and don't have any blueprints available, with one exception, sentinels. I think the sentinels make quite a bit of sense to buy, because they come with a reactor and a catalyst, so the package cost is about the same as building one, rushing it, and then adding the potatoes separately, but that's just my opinion.

Sometimes, I Warframe after spending a night off out drinking, and then I'll waste plat on rushing things, or buying potatoes/forma just because I don't want to wait on them to build, but that's my own stupid fault. It usually seems like a good idea at the time...

We would have to discuss which items we are talking about here. Warframes and Weapons? I guess they will never be any less expensive other than on rare Darvo-occassions.

But if we are talking resources... They shouldn't cost any Platinum at all. Who's going to buy that even if it only costs 1P? It's like "do one mission and you get it for free!".

So the only prices that are not reasonable are the friggin resources. They make no sense at all. I'd like to see some internal statistics if there are a bunch of people actually buying that stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if the only people buying them are the new guys not knowing that the Platinum is actually important for Slots etc. and that they can get the resources in much larger quantities for free.

My thought is that the resources should be available for credits in low quantites, so if you bought your daily Orokin Cell with 10.000 Credits or something then you can't get another one within 24 hours or something. Forget about that stupid Plat. It's not worth it.

i think buying resources is similar to rushing a build in the foundry. i never did that, and never will. rushing a forma for 10p, when you can buy one for 20, lol. but i see that some people are impatient, and are willing to pay for instant access to some resources.

why is anyone buying frames anyway? because they are too lazy/don't have time to unlock/farm that boss. same applies for resources.

to the OP:

even if the prices are much lower, i'd only may buy potatoes (and slots ofc), because they are the only things that are limited to alerts - can't do anything to get more. earning stuff is a good thing about this game, and i won't spoil that.

why is anyone buying frames anyway? because they are too lazy/don't have time to unlock/farm that boss. same applies for resources.

I almost bought Hydroid for plat... But that was because most of the nodes on Ceres were controlled by Corpus, and on the ones that weren't, the Prosecutors weren't spawning properly... But other than a situation like that, I can't see why one would rather buy a frame with plat than just farm the pieces and build it for free.

>your faces when the prices will most likely go up one day instead of lower

My face will be no different than it is now, as I don't buy anything but slots from the market anyway, and those are pretty cheap in comparison to everything else.

Also, congratulations on another useless post!

Yes. I would have bought much more. However that time has passed now and I have already worked to the point where i have/could easily acquire everything without spending anything. Now it's just more slots and cosmetics. 

I would consider buying prime access too if... 

- Most of the price wasn't jacked up with stuff i don't need (90 day boosters, more plat than I'd ever use) 

- The developers didn't do S#&$ty practices like purposly make one or two parts of the prime frame incredibly rare in order to piss off farmers. 

- The game had more care put towards its balance/gameplay

- I was older and richer. 

- Most of the price wasn't jacked up with stuff i don't need (90 day boosters, more plat than I'd ever use) 

- The developers didn't do S#&$ty practices like purposly make one or two parts of the prime frame incredibly rare in order to &!$$ off farmers. 

- The game had more care put towards its balance/gameplay

- I was older and richer. 

The plat you buy alone is a lot less than if you had purchased it from the normal market.

I'd like it if some of the cosmetics were less expensive. 75p for a color palette, when I just want one or two colors from it is not a purchase I make. Maybe I would find a use for the others, but it's still a hard pill to swallow. I've got more platinum than I'm ever going to reasonably spend, and I still hesitate because I can't justify a godzilla scarf and flappy armor being worth the equivalent of 22 catalysts. I'm just too frugal to even waste plat I traded for like this.

I'm comfortable with the price for reactors and catalysts, as getting 20p is not very difficult and they are all but certain to be on 24h alerts every couple weeks in addition to their normal chance of alert or invasion rewards. Buying them is not strictly required.

I don't approve of people buying their way through the game. I think it should be a last resort. I never do it, I think people buy their way out of the game entirely and then complain about not having anything to do. The price on guns and frames should be adjusted toward rarity and value (the skana is too expensive for what it is), but I don't think they should be generally lowered.