Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Melee 2.5] The Return Of Charge Attacks - Special Abilities For Melee Weapons ! - Edited With Dual Swords Ability

DeadScream

HI TENNO !_______________________________________ (TL ; DR at the end)

Let's talk about an improvement to the current melee system, including weapon abilities

This system wouldn't be linked to melee stances but only to the grip style : heavy, single, dual, katana, fists, etc. 

This means that you can use these abilities without using any stance mod.

How to use the special ability : 

The special attack is a charge attack that you can perform by holding the melee button when channeling and blocking at the same time

The button can be held until the stamina runs out (quite different from the old charge attacks). 

The ability is unleashed when the melee button is released.

Stamina/Energy consumption : 

As long as you hold the melee button, you lose 10 stamina/sec. 

When releasing the attack, you lose the normal stamina value of the weapon, + 5 energy (depending on channeling efficiency mods) only if an enemy is touched. 

/!\ if not enough stamina, the charge attack will consume 20 energy (affected by channeling efficiency) when unleashed. If not enough energy, the attack is cancelled, resulting in a "burnout"* 

Damage boost : 

For every charge second, 10% is added to the damage boost multiplier (see in detailed abilities for further explanation) on the weapon's ability when it will be unleashed. 

The damage boost multiplier is connected to the channeling damage.

(ex : axe's special ability deals 400% of channeling damage, 410% if charged 1sec, 420% if charged 2 sec, etc)

*burnout : when you have not enough stamina and not enough energy, the warframe will collapse, using its weapon to stand up. You have a 1.0 sec delay after the collapsing to execute the channel-melee-channel combo (works even with the toggle on channeling, it's just a key combo you have to perform). 

If you succeed, you will unleash an energy wave on a 15m radius (affected by power range and melee range mods), knocking back any enemy in range and refilling 100% of your stamina and 20% of your energy. 

DETAILED SPECIAL ABILITIES FOR DIFFERENT WEAPON GRIPS (wip)

Dual Swords Grip : "Harrasser" : Fast multi-hit combo on a normal melee range. The caster swings both swords while turning on himself. Potentially hits 10 times on a 3 sec duration with base 110% damage boost. The caster can move during the animation and damage is dealt by each blade, meaning a single target can be "harrassed" in order to give it 20 hits in 3 sec with enough skill. 

Forced impact status on every hit

25% bleed chance. 

Can move during the ability, with full sprint speed. 

Duration : 3 sec.
Range : Normal weapon's range

base Damage boost : 110%

Heavy Grip : "Crush Down" (Axes, heavy swords) - A powerful up-down attack, instantly knocking-down the targets in a 7m radius around the point of impact. Only the direct hit deals full damage, but it deals 200% of the channeling damage and this damage is affected by the charge duration. 

Forced bleed and Blast proc on direct hit.
Forced blast proc in 7m radius, 50% of direct-hit damage. 

Damage boost multiplier : 200%

Reaper Grip : "Grim Circle" - A multi-hit attack on an extended range, stunning and forcing bleed procs on targets it strikes. The Tenno swings his reaper 5 times in a vertical circle in a 1.5 sec duration. Covers 4m in front of the player and 3m behind him, and he can turn himself during the attack in order to hit more targets. Each hit deals 110% of the channeling damage and this multiplier is affected by charge duration.  

Forced bleed proc on every hit, but requires direct contact with the enemy. Can apply multiple slash procs to a single target. 

Damage boost multiplier : 110%

Area of effect : 7m line on the right side of the caster. 

Katana Grip : "Tempest" - A bloody multi-hit dance, similar to a modified slide attack but with more BADASS. 

Travels a 10m distance (trajectory can be modified by aiming) in one sec and coming back to the starting point in a second attack. Hits all enemies on the trajectory with 130% of channeling damage and forced bleed and stun. 

Forced bleed and stun on every enemy on the trajectory. Applies 2 slash and impact procs to every target. (one per "slide")

Damage boost multiplier : 130%

Area of effect : 10m distance in front of the caster, 2m radius around the caster.

-wip-

Of course everything is open to discussion, so feel free to talk !

TL ; DR : Hold melee button when channeling and blocking to prepare a special attack. This charge consumes stamina over time and the special attack consumes stamina and energy. More charge = More damage.
No need for melee stance. 

Special attacks depend on the weapon grip (heavy, dagger, dual, etc).

Edited by DeadScream

agreed!

btw i didn't read anything, i just saw the topic name, that's alot of stuff to read

Lol, I guess you're right, I should make a TL; DR ^^ 

I'd prefer if you read the whole post, my ideas may not please you that much

made more sense when swinging heavy weaponry, with 2.0 it feels like 2handed weapons are made of foam.

Agreed. Still waiting for the heavy upgrade, I'm eager to use my Gram with more efficiency :< 

-Updated the main post with a TL; DR at the bottom

the new system (2.0™)+ special charge moove= Full win

No wonder why i play mostly with glaive and kestrel

You bring an important point : I need to find something cool for these two weapons without using the same key combination, so that we can keep the throwing which is a great game feature. 

I don't see why Stances can't have charge attacks as part of their movesets...

Ask devs lol 

I suggest this system as a seperate part from melee stances so that it can be used on any weapon whether we have the stance or not.

i kinda liked charge attacks because i used to always use charge attacks before they were replaced with channeling attacks

well i was thinking for the return in Warframe you can do charge attacks and only do channeling attacks when you equip your melee

Edited by Hunter126

I don't see why Stances can't have charge attacks as part of their movesets...

It's mostly due to needing hold-button as a combo input. Adding charges back in as they where would take away 1/5th of the possible inputs.

Hold, delay, forward, back and block, that's it. I think having the old charges could be an advantage for not equipping a stance though.

I like OP's concept in theory but it would conflict with a lot of existing combos due to the above.

It's mostly due to needing hold-button as a combo input. Adding charges back in as they where would take away 1/5th of the possible inputs.

Hold, delay, forward, back and block, that's it. I think having the old charges could be an advantage for not equipping a stance though.

I like OP's concept in theory but it would conflict with a lot of existing combos due to the above.

Yeah, what about "block+channel+hold melee" to activate the charge attack ? 

Ability concept for dual swords : 

"Harrasser" : Fast multi-hit combo on a normal melee range. The caster swings both swords while turning on himself. Potentially hits 10 times on a 3 sec duration with base 110% damage boost. The caster can move during the animation and damage is dealt by each blade, meaning a single target can be "harrassed" in order to give it 20 hits in 3 sec with enough skill. 

Forced impact status on every hit

25% bleed chance. 

Can move during the ability, with full sprint speed. 

Duration : 3 sec.
Range : Normal weapon's range

base Damage boost : 110%