Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Infested Assassins: The Infested Predator And The Ancient Guardian

(PSN)Evilman520

Okay, so we have an assassin for the Orokin, The Grineer, the Corpus, and even the Corrupted. Now, it's time to make the Infested assassin -or assassins. Here's an idea set to challenge teamwork and cohesion.

The Infested Predator and Ancient Guardian

Lore: The Infested Hive Mind has been thrown off-balance. Your actions have disrupted the unity of the Infested. Now, they seek to assimilate you into their mind, to repair the damage you have caused. The Ancient Guardian, and its loyal Predator, are tracking you throughout the galaxy, to capture you and turn you to their cause. They are merciless –even to their brother Infested, and will stop at nothing to find you.

Description: The Infested Predator takes the form of a large Infested Charger with black armor plating to distinguish from others (slightly larger than normal Chargers, but smaller than Phorid). The top of the Predator is lined with a row of razor-sharp spines, which can be used for either melee attacks, or launched as a ranged attack. Additionally, attempting to jump over the Predator may cause damage to the player if their warframe comes into contact with any of these spikes, as well as a chance to proc a poison effect. The Predator’s main duty is to seek and destroy any enemy of its master, the Ancient Guardian

The Ancient Guardian takes on the form of a large white Infested Ancient, with rows of spikes lining its back and shoulders. Unlike a typical ancient, this one does not have a tentacle-like protrusion for right arm. Instead, the arm has hardened and evolved into a deadly scythe, which it uses to hack away any nearby threats. This ancient also has the ability to spit corrosive acid onto faraway enemies, giving it surprising ranged effectiveness. This particular ancient is much more powerful than the others, and possesses several abilities which radiate outwards from it. The first is a red aura, which will dispel any Warframe caught in its radius. The second is a blue aura, which will disrupt nearby Warframes and electronics, destroying lighting as well, to darken the room. The third, is a dark-green corrosive aura, which will do a moderate amount of corrosive damage with a 100% corrosive proc chance. Additionally, a tether will be seen between the Predator and the Guardian. As long as the Guardian remains alive, the Predator will receive major constant healing.

Prerequisites: The Predator and Guardian are a pair of highly-evolved infested, who have been charged with maintaining order within the Infested Hive Mind and locating suitable candidates to assimilate. If a player has disrupted the Hive Mind, by either destroying any of the Alpha Minds (Lephantis or Phorid) or by diminishing the Hive Mind’s strength too much (completing 5 or more Infested Outbreak missions) The Lotus will contact the player, warning them that the Infested are tracking them, and attempting to assimilate them into their collective mind.

The Predator and Guardian will only spawn on Dark Sector or Infested Outbreak missions. Upon arrival, the player’s screen will distort slightly and turn a yellowish-green. A loud audible cry will be heard throughout the map. The targeted player will also have a thick cloud of spores circling around them. Additionally, all nearby Infested will immediately stand down, and refrain from attacking, or retreat entirely. Their Alpha has arrived, and they would not dare take the prey of their alpha.

The target player will receive three taunting messages from the Guardian, informing them of their misdeeds and their need to replace that which they have destroyed. Finally, The Lotus will contact the player and inform them to run as quickly as possible, or risk being infected by the Predator and the Guardian.

Fight and Abilities: The Predator and Guardian are here for one purpose: to infect the target player. The Guardian will sic its faster and more agile pet Predator onto the targeted player. The group’s main priority should be to eliminate the Guardian as quickly as possible, while keeping the Predator away from its master. The Predator’s armor is invulnerable to damage, making the legs, back, and neck its only vital points. It is best to have the targeted player draw the predator away from its master, while the others focus on taking down the Guardian. Players should also take this time to eliminate any Infested in the area, as they will not remain idle throughout the entire fight.

The Predator will continuously stalk the targeted player, ignoring all others until it has successfully taken down its target. Along with swiping claw attacks for minor to moderate damage, the predator has other methods of which to counter more elusive prey. It can use its massive strength and weight to stomp hard on the ground, knocking nearby players to the ground. It can also launch the razor spines on its back, which act similarly to Psychic Bolts, used by Phorid and Nyx.

The Guardian will radiate one of its three auras every five seconds: Red, then Blue, then Green. Players are advised to time their attacks carefully, so as to not get caught within any of the three auras. Melee attackers are strongly cautioned as well, as the Guardian’s Corrosive aura and scythe arm can deal a massive amount of damage. Poor timing could lead to an early grave. The Guardian’s acid spit will deal a moderate, but survivable amount of damage.

Once the Guardian falls, the Predator will let out a large, enraged scream, stunning all players, regardless of range, and rallying the other Infested to its side. During this time, the Predator will attempt to leap to and pin its target to the ground, pummeling it for massive damage (around 1000-1200). If the player survives the assault, they will be freed and able to continue attacking, or retreat to gather their strength. Other players should use this time to either burn down nearby infested, or the Predator itself. The predator will continuously attack and attempt to leap back onto its prey to pummel it once again. At 50% health, the Predator will scream again, spawning another wave of infested. Continue assaulting the Predator’s vital points, while avoiding its leap attack, to take the beast down.

Victory and Defeat: If a player is unsuccessful, and is killed by either the Infested Predator or Ancient Guardian, they will be immediately ejected from the mission, and receive a message from The Lotus, informing them that they have been infected with the Technocyte Virus. This will reduce the Warframe’s health by 60% and armor by 30% until removed. The player will be given a craftable antivirus, which will require them to gather 2 sunlight dragonlilies, 2 moonlight dragonlilies, 2 sunlight jadeleafs, and 2 moonlight jadeleafs to cure themselves of the virus.

If players are successful in defeating the Predator and Guardian, they will drop an Orokin Cell, one piece of decorative spiked Infested Armor, and a chance to drop a blueprint, handle, or blade for the new Nemesis Scythe. (Predator will drop an armor piece, while the Guardian will drop the blueprints).

That's all for now. Please leave any questions or comments below. Thank you!

~Evilman520 and EvilWife720

Whilst I like the concept, there are a few immediately obvious issues.

Firstly, the Technocyte virus is functionally incurable and if we were infected, we'd be seeing much worse effects than a reduction in health. Secondly, please, not a disruptor aura on an assassin unit. They're bad enough on the occasional eximus, you don't NEED the ability to totally destroy an energy pool and shields when you're an unstoppable monstrosity who's immune to powers anyway. Thirdly, the other assassin units are all possible to solo if you know what you're doing. This concept for the Predator would be interesting on its own, but with a second unit supporting it and nigh-invulnerability from most angles, you'd really need someone else there to take it out since only Loki and Saryn can really force a target to aim somewhere other than at them to get a clean shot.

The point is to make something that isn't easy. Too many people before have complained about the game not being challenging enough. If you remember, Stalker was originally supposed to be an enemy that you would need a well-coordinated group to take down. The Assassins aren't meant to be easy in any way. As it says at the top, this one is meant to test teamwork and cohesion. You can't just lone-wolf everything, sometimes you really do need help.

As for the Disruption aura, it is just an idea. It is meant to be there, because the Guardian itself doesn't have much in the way of self-defense, other than a health pool, some ranged ability, and a dangerous melee weapon. It has to have something to help it stand a chance, otherwise it would be too easy. The radius wouldn't be something enormous, just enough to punish overconfident players if they let their guard down or time their attacks poorly.

The defeat conditions are simply another idea as well. The Technocyte Virus was created centuries ago by the Orokin. Time could have passed significanlty, where the virus could be stopped in its evolutionary process, before completely taking over the host. If dealt with quickly enough, it might be able to be removed from the host, in other words. Nevertheless, i understand what you are saying. Again, these are just ideas. If there is any way to improve them, I'm open to advice.

Hm. I really really like this idea, but it's lacking in an original concept. To me, it sounds like a beefed up Phorid and Ancient, which they are. But enemy choice seems a little stale and bland as of yet. Instead of just recycling old enemies, why not think of newer ones?

I know I'm not the only one who feels like the power of the assassins was greatly overestimated. They were meant to be those "Aww crap..." kind of encounters, not a "Yay, more rare item farming" kind of enemies. They need to have a challenge to them, something that will truly test players, not just a glorified dps race with overpowered weapons. If there was no challenge, people would get bored more easily. That's why I tried to create something that could be a potential nightmare for some players, something that might actually prompt players to obey The Lotus' wish to abort mission and flee immediately (using the Infested units' pacified state to their advantage to escape).

Hm. I really really like this idea, but it's lacking in an original concept. To me, it sounds like a beefed up Phorid and Ancient, which they are. But enemy choice seems a little stale and bland as of yet. Instead of just recycling old enemies, why not think of newer ones?

You have a good point there. I didn't notice that until now.

We'll try to think of some kind of newer class of enemy to change them to. If you have any ideas as to how they can be changed or improved, I'm welcome to them.

I know I'm not the only one who feels like the power of the assassins was greatly overestimated. They were meant to be those "Aww crap..." kind of encounters, not a "Yay, more rare item farming" kind of enemies. They need to have a challenge to them, something that will truly test players, not just a glorified dps race with overpowered weapons. If there was no challenge, people would get bored more easily. That's why I tried to create something that could be a potential nightmare for some players, something that might actually prompt players to obey The Lotus' wish to abort mission and flee immediately (using the Infested units' pacified state to their advantage to escape).

I know exactly what you mean. Back when I was but a newbie, I encountered... El Stalker. The lights flickered, my heart raced, I was contacted by a mysterious and ominous figure in black... THEN HE ATTACKED. From that day on, I dreaded EVERY encounter with the stalker. What's that? Do I still fear him now? No! I destroy entire CITIES when I don't find him.

Anyways, the main problem is that these assassins are only really dangerous for newer, less experienced players. What we gotta do is make enemies that are not only challenging to newer players, but also for more powerful and experienced players.

You have a good point there. I didn't notice that until now.

We'll try to think of some kind of newer class of enemy to change them to. If you have any ideas as to how they can be changed or improved, I'm welcome to them.

I have made an earlier thread in relation to an infested 'assassin'. I have no idea where it's gotten to, but it's there. Somewhere.

Were open to the idea of changing the concept of the enemies, but not so much their symbiotic roles, where one protects the other as it goes out to destroy.

We need something challenging, it's not as fun knowing you can kill them without any help.

On a completely unrelated note, are you two married or something? Evilman... Evilwife... Idk, sorry if I'm crossing a line.

It's our hope that our ideas might somehow reach through to DE and at least give them an idea to go off of, to make the game more challenging for players, both new and veteran, as well as to make more content to give to players and some nice rewards for hard work.

If you can link your forum to here, we'll take a look at it and see if there's anything that can be connected. It's time we made a real nightmare kind of enemy for players, so that they can remember how it felt meeting an Assassin for the first time as a newbie.

And yes, we are married.

Eh... I would expect something more interesting to be chasing me down than a recolored Charger and Ancient. I could still picture the whole "the tall one and the short one" thing going except have their designs deviate further from the originals than just giving them spikes and one different limb.

I see where you're going with the bulletproof armor, but given how frantic most combat situations tend to be I think the weakpoints need to be a bit bigger. How's this: at first they start out combined as a single unit- what looks like some armored misshapen humanoid Infested with a hunched back and a scythe arm. In this state, the entity is completely bulletproof. Suddenly, the Guardian points his "good" arm at a Tenno and the body armor removes itself, jumps off, and pounces toward the Tenno, revealing itself to be the Predator as well as revealing its weak points: the Guardian's arms and back and the Predator's underbelly.

I also understand the consequences for failure given what Zanucka and the Grustrag 3 do to you, but your particular suggestion wouldn't really work that well because A) if DarkSector is to be believed then Tenno are immune to Technocyte infestation and Warframes themselves may or may not be made of Technocytes, and B) the requirements for the antidotes are too rare and rather frustrating to obtain, if my experience with the Cicero Crisis is anything to go by. I could imagine some sort of external symbiote that affects the Warframe's behavior (like the Keepers in Bablyon 5) could be interesting as long as its effects weren't too crippling (occasional bouts of friendly fire, perhaps? You could even have an animation warning you it's about to happen so you can tell your buddies to run until you're better). As for the cure, I dunno. In hindsight an herbal cure for a nanite plague doesn't really make sense, but I'm sure you could craft something out of neurodes and mutagen masses that simulates the Guardian's control signals so you could tell it to let go?

Eh... I would expect something more interesting to be chasing me down than a recolored Charger and Ancient. I could still picture the whole "the tall one and the short one" thing going except have their designs deviate further from the originals than just giving them spikes and one different limb.

I see where you're going with the bulletproof armor, but given how frantic most combat situations tend to be I think the weakpoints need to be a bit bigger. How's this: at first they start out combined as a single unit- what looks like some armored misshapen humanoid Infested with a hunched back and a scythe arm. In this state, the entity is completely bulletproof. Suddenly, the Guardian points his "good" arm at a Tenno and the body armor removes itself, jumps off, and pounces toward the Tenno, revealing itself to be the Predator as well as revealing its weak points: the Guardian's arms and back and the Predator's underbelly.

I also understand the consequences for failure given what Zanucka and the Grustrag 3 do to you, but your particular suggestion wouldn't really work that well because A) if DarkSector is to be believed then Tenno are immune to Technocyte infestation and Warframes themselves may or may not be made of Technocytes, and B) the requirements for the antidotes are too rare and rather frustrating to obtain, if my experience with the Cicero Crisis is anything to go by. I could imagine some sort of external symbiote that affects the Warframe's behavior (like the Keepers in Bablyon 5) could be interesting as long as its effects weren't too crippling (occasional bouts of friendly fire, perhaps? You could even have an animation warning you it's about to happen so you can tell your buddies to run until you're better). As for the cure, I dunno. In hindsight an herbal cure for a nanite plague doesn't really make sense, but I'm sure you could craft something out of neurodes and mutagen masses that simulates the Guardian's control signals so you could tell it to let go?

I see what you're saying. The idea was a little rough at first, which is why we were open to suggestions for new enemy concept. The combination idea would be a new twist. Could also make so that, if the two were placed too close to each other, they would recombine for a short period of time, making them invulnerable again until they split apart. In that state, they would only be able to use their melee and ranged attacks, not their respective auras, screams, and knockdowns. This would emphasize the need to have cooperative teamwork, so that the targeted Tenno would know not to bring the Predator back towards the Guardian.

As far as the defeat is concerned, there is a lot to have to consider as far as making a truly damaging defeat. It shouldn't just be a blow to the pride, it should be something that will drive you to not want it to happen ever again. The lore is the trickiest part. I had to look back into my old Dark Sector knowledge again to remember that what you said is, in fact, true. Your idea regarding making it a bit more of a mental instability debuff would be great. I especially like the friendly fire idea, as it would caution other players to keep a close eye on you, and would add a little bit to the reality of not always knowing who to trust around you. Maybe, for the animation, have your warframe stop in place, and begin clutching its head for a few seconds while a cloud of telltale spores surrounds you, to indicate clearly to other players that you are about to turn. Also, once the tenno has turned, allied Tenno may also be able to down their partner, weakening them enough so that the parasite will retreat into the subconscious again, a self-preservation act to prevent itself from dying with the Tenno. This would cause the bout of insanity to cease, and allies could then revive their partner without concern... for the moment.

Overall, i think the idea of the assassin latching a parasite onto your warframe, which occasionally takes over your mind and turns you against your friends, is a clever thing. I was thinking the same thing about the mutagen masses and neurodes as well, but nothing really made sense to me until you said they could be used to mimic the Guardian's Alpha Male brainwaves, to essentially trick the parasite into letting go.

I'm glad you brought up such interesting ideas. It especially helps to add to the feeling of anxiety that would be nice to feel once in a while. You may stand there wondering if someone is marked, if the assassin will show up, or even if someone in your group is already "infected" The Tenno all trust each other, loyal to the end; but what happens when someone who might be an ally, might suddenly start to change? The Infested are always just simple cannon fodder, with nothing really frightening or concerning about them. It's high time that they had something which could truly worry players, or at least make them feel the need to warn their friends that they have been attacked and that they may not be completely trustworthy.

Maybe, for the designs and concept, they could start off as suggested: a combined, hulking misshapen mass. Individually, though, The predator might be some kind of armored quadruped or maybe something like a giant crab or mantis-like monster, with the original figure's "chest plate" as a damage-reducing shell (Weapons with punch-through ability or mods would not be able to breach the hardened areas). Two scythe-like claws and three pairs of hooked legs, which are hidden beneath the chest plate, extend out when the Predator pulls away from the Guardian. The Predator would rear up onto four of its eight legs and chase its target like this, giving the player kiting the Predator a chance to be able to slow its forward movement by shooting it. Also, hitting the Predator with enough force (Impact-heavy weapons such as the Magistar and Jat Kittag, explosives, or enough bullets) my daze it for a few seconds, enabling players to achieve critical hits while shooting its underbelly. Due to its many hooked legs, acrobatic feats, such as running up walls, and even onto the ceiling (if possible) make it difficult to outmaneuver.

(This idea would do away with the Predator's original concept of being large and heavy, with powerful attacks, to being more of a fast, agile, nimble creature with quicker, cutting and piercing attacks. It would still be able to jump and latch onto a player, knocking them to the ground to perhaps strangle them or carve at them with their claws for a moderate amount of damage. This would also fit well with the "Big Brother, Little Brother" symbiotic relationship between the two)

As for the Guardian, it would retain most of the appearance of the original Infested creature, but once the Predator has removed itself from its partner, the underlying tissue and organs would be exposed, including part of the Guardian's spinal cord (a small, but extremely vulnerable spot for critical hits). The figure itself would have to be slightly larger than an ancient eximus (to help with scaling the Predator, as well as to show its dominance as an Alpha). Strikes from its scythe arm are very slow (such as Kril's hammer swings), but do a large amount of damage, as well as knock the player back a considerable distance (outside of the range of the Guardian's auras, to prevent knockdown traps).

As far as behavior goes, while fighting during the first phase, the Guardian and Predator will indiscriminately swipe any nearby infested aside, a testament to their brutal dominance, as well as to abide by the air of neutrality that all assassin bosses have (Grineer will attack the Grustrag, Corpus will attack Harvester, etc.)

Now this is starting to sound a bit more interesting. And I do like the idea of how the Predator moves- brings a bit of originality to the pool of Infested designs.

As for the Parasite infection, I could imagine there might be a cosmetic indicator of infection with a small lump of Infested tissue on the back of the Warframe's neck; prominent enough to see if you knew what to look for but subtle enough that at first glance it would just look like a regular part of the Warframe. As you mentioned, it would probably have a short "keel over while clutching head" animation once it activates, with the parasite (assuming we are making it visible) growing tendrils and spreading further down the Tenno's spine and arms as it activates. It would then proceed to serve up lead milkshakes to anything not Infested in the area, especially Tenno (since the Grustrag 3's restraining bolt only reduces damage to Grineer I was thinking this might have a similar caveat). Killing the Tenno would definitely end the effect early, but I was thinking it might end on its own after a while both so Solo players aren't completely hosed when they have an episode and because I could imagine some players would rather just bolt when their friend's zombie cancer metastasizes so he can direct his Infested wrath at nearby enemies instead of them. 

...unless perhaps the effect only triggers during Infested missions?

Now this is starting to sound a bit more interesting. And I do like the idea of how the Predator moves- brings a bit of originality to the pool of Infested designs.

As for the Parasite infection, I could imagine there might be a cosmetic indicator of infection with a small lump of Infested tissue on the back of the Warframe's neck; prominent enough to see if you knew what to look for but subtle enough that at first glance it would just look like a regular part of the Warframe. As you mentioned, it would probably have a short "keel over while clutching head" animation once it activates, with the parasite (assuming we are making it visible) growing tendrils and spreading further down the Tenno's spine and arms as it activates. It would then proceed to serve up lead milkshakes to anything not Infested in the area, especially Tenno (since the Grustrag 3's restraining bolt only reduces damage to Grineer I was thinking this might have a similar caveat). Killing the Tenno would definitely end the effect early, but I was thinking it might end on its own after a while both so Solo players aren't completely hosed when they have an episode and because I could imagine some players would rather just bolt when their friend's zombie cancer metastasizes so he can direct his Infested wrath at nearby enemies instead of them. 

...unless perhaps the effect only triggers during Infested missions?

The effect would trigger during any kind of mission, solo, or otherwise, and regardless of enemy faction you are facing. The Infested do not care and are not choosy, all they know is that they want you to become one of them. They will try and try again. Yes, eventually, the Tenno would personally regain control of itself and overpower the parasite, with or without additional intervention. It's basically just a short bout of insanity, where the Tenno would attack anything not part of the infested Hive Mind (Perhaps other nearby infected Tenno would be unharmed as well?)

Also, EvilWife is currently working on a couple of sketches for rough concept art for the Guardian and Predator. We will post them on an updated forum as soon as we can, to give other players an idea of what the pair should look like, as well as make ready for any additional advice and assistance. It's our hope that, as a community, we all might be able to help create something that we can come to know, love, and also hate when we start to see the encounter signs.

No more ancients. They should rename the current ancients.

Then maybe just call them Predator and Guardian? Everything is still a working progress, including the name. The Guardian is no longer an ancient at all, new concept art is making it into something more along its own lines (Bipedal with scant traces of its former human self, but it has now evolved into nothing more than a giant brutish hulking mass)

Still, I want to be able to capture their individual roles within their names, as most infested do (Chargers run relentlessly after you, Leapers jump at you, Crawlers.... well.... crawl) So maybe just Guardian would do, since its primary role is to defend the Predator and issue orders to it. Again, still open to creative suggestions.

As you mentioned, it would probably have a short "keel over while clutching head" animation once it activates, with the parasite (assuming we are making it visible) growing tendrils and spreading further down the Tenno's spine and arms as it activates. It would then proceed to serve up lead milkshakes to anything not Infested in the area, especially Tenno (since the Grustrag 3's restraining bolt only reduces damage to Grineer I was thinking this might have a similar caveat).

We were thinking that, to give players a chance to warn their partners about an imminent "episode" there would be a couple of initial stages, kind of like when the Assassins themselves show up. First, The Tenno would stop in place and begin to wobble from side to side and shake their head, as if they were feeling dizzy. Lotus would contact the player and perhaps say something like "Tenno, stand down, I'm picking up erratic readings from your Warframe." Then, a few moments later, the Tenno would stop again and clutch their head between both hands. Lotus would contact you again, informing you to leave the battlefield immediately and seek medical attention. The parasite on the back of the neck would begin to grow in size, also growing small, root-like branches down the back, shoulders, and arms. Finally, the Tenno would fall to its knees, holding its head again, before forcefully pushing itself back to its feet and unleashing its onslaught of insanity on anything that isn't Infested.