Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dead Eye - Is It Useless?

primetime112233

Question

I primarily use the Lanka on Cerberus, Pluto these days to get practice leading my targets and farm T4 keys. I switch auras back and fourth to dead eye to try and see the damage difference but I can't tell what is going on. I seem to be just as effective without it, and that annoys me because every time I see it I want to equip it because it looks good, and after a while I switch back because it seems useless. Why does this mod suck so bad?

P.S.: I have looked through the forums and online before but I can't find a lead.

Edited by primetime112233

The general consensus is that this Aura is lacking in punch compared to its counterpart, Rifle Amp, which also works on Snipers. However, if you're not into trading, the only way to get Auras is Alerts which are random. This means it may be the only Aura some people have until they're able to get another, and the additional energy capacity is worthwhile if no other Auras are in your inventory.

While I see the point about any Aura being better than none, why not just, you know, buff / fix it?

Would it take a minute or two to open the parameter file, change the figure to at least match Rifle Amp, then change Rifle Amp to not affect Snipers?

Then when Scott does get time to look at Snipers as a whole, he could think about balancing it, maybe making the Aura increase Sniper reload speed as well / instead.

While I see the point about any Aura being better than none, why not just, you know, buff / fix it?

Would it take a minute or two to open the parameter file, change the figure to at least match Rifle Amp, then change Rifle Amp to not affect Snipers?

Then when Scott does get time to look at Snipers as a whole, he could think about balancing it, maybe making the Aura increase Sniper reload speed as well / instead.

I don't understand why people demand this an that there is way more to it im sure they cant just fix something in a couple minutes it has to be tested and everything one wrong move could cause a game crash and not be playable at all ... my advice is quit complaining so much of course there are things I would like to see changed too but demanding like this will get you nowhere

On a side note I think you guys do a great job ive been a player since update 9 and so much has changed since then I'm more of an MMORPG guy but warframe has managed to keep my attention since I got a ps4 .... thanks again guys :)

my advice is quit complaining so much of course there are things I would like to see changed too but demanding like this will get you nowhere

This is a forum. Feedback, especially constructive feedback, is sought out.

@ d-iabLOFan

I don't demand anything, but if you have ever modded any game you will know that most weapons, armor, items, enemies all have their variables in a simple text file.

Tweaking these things is insanely quick, that is the very reason these things are defined in such a file.

Open DeadEye.cfg find the line that say DamageBoost, change the figure.

It really is that simple, and if you are changing 0.20 to 0.27 for the percentage damage increase, I doubt there will be exploding PS4s and PCs everywhere.

Edit: Also, we clearly have different definitions of complaining, I asked a question, you say "quit complaining so much".

Edited by Egg_Chen

@ d-iabLOFan

I don't demand anything, but if you have ever modded any game you will know that most weapons, armor, items, enemies all have their variables in a simple text file.

Tweaking these things is insanely quick, that is the very reason these things are defined in such a file.

It really is that simple, and if you are changing 0.20 to 0.27 for the percentage damage increase, I doubt there will be exploding PS4s and PCs everywhere.

Edit: Also, we clearly have different definitions of complaining, I asked a question, you say "quit complaining so much".

You've made valid points, ignore that guy. I've been wondering about steel charge myself, but that's for another topic.

The general consensus is that this Aura is lacking in punch compared to its counterpart, Rifle Amp, which also works on Snipers. However, if you're not into trading, the only way to get Auras is Alerts which are random. This means it may be the only Aura some people have until they're able to get another, and the additional energy capacity is worthwhile if no other Auras are in your inventory.

But if we removed dead eye, and they had any other aura, they'd probably be better. IMO, buff it up past rifle amp, snipers are already hurting, they're worse than bows (damage wise), and are mostly ineffective for the gameplay (i.e. dealing with hordes of enemies)

Dead Eye adds 20% damage, but that damage stacks additively with Serration and HCal

If you're using Serration, @+165%, you're doing 265% base damage, so adding 20% means you're doing 285% damage, which is an increase of only 7.5%

If you're using Serration and HCal, it's an increase of only 4.65%.

Edit: Rifle Amp isnt really any better, at +10.1% and +6.3%

Edited by Darzk

The Maxed stat damage benefits are higher for a Rifle Amp than for Dead Eye, and the amount of Mod Points you get off the aura are higher for Rifle Amp (+7 versus +5).

1. Am I missing some hidden bonus or is Rifle Amp clearly the superior Aura to use on sniper builds instead? 

2. What if Dead Eye were changed by DE to have increased zoom when aiming AND changed from a damage bonus to a Crit Multiplier bonus instead?

3. That should give both Auras separate roles while also synergizing teamplay, yes?

Edit: Numbered my questions for easier answering.

250px-LeDeadEye.png VERSUS  250px-RifleAmpAura.png

Edited by DietEbolaCola

@ d-iabLOFan

No argument (assuming YOUR assumptions are correct), just pointing out that on any given day, there are prolly a hundred different people on here saying 'Could you please ignore all the rest of these yahoo's demands for just a teeny-weeny minute and do this one little-bitty thing for ME that I don't think will take you very long at all?'  Plan accordingly.

I understand this as voicing the philosophy that like almost all RPGs, there is worse gear and there is better gear; tiering, basically. So Dead Eye is like a level 3 Aura (out of 10) and Rifle Amp is like a level 5 Aura, so it is a direct upgrade. Also, I'm not saying that's what DE necessarily thinks as a development team, but just what Rebecca is saying here. Don't pile on to it as god's gospel ;P.

Obviously what most people in this thread feel is that they would rather Dead Eye and Rifle Amp to be the same level, so to speak, both being level 5 Auras. I think the opinion is that Auras shouldn't be traditionally tiered, as in most RPGs, but all equally-powerful (more or less) utility options.

So is it on the list to get buffed or are the guys leaving it as it is because it still works as a stepping stone aura?

So is it on the list to get buffed or are the guys leaving it as it is because it still works as a stepping stone aura?

I sure hope it is. The whole concept of a "stepping stone" aura is an awful one. If Dead Eye could be guaranteed to be obtained before Rifle Amp it might make sense, but that isn't the case. Because of the random nature of alerts, it's entirely possible to get Rifle Amp beforehand, in which case dead eye becomes decisively obsolete.

OK now I know you are trying to justify a niche for this mod and put a positive spin on this. However it just does not work:

If you were into trading Mods then then are far more Rifle amps available than Dead eyes because it has been around a lot longer and people are more likely to have spares.

If you are not into trading then you basically just specified this MoD as a second rate aura that allows people to have an aura and get some capacity if they did not have an aura MoD. However if Dead eye did not exist then the aura MoD the player received from the alert would more likely be a different 5 rank aura even say... shotgun scavenger (generic aura mod off the top of my head).

Three rank mods are a complete over sight unless they really bring something valuable to compensate for the lack of energy capacity.

Maybe if this Aura was always obtainable or maybe if this aura mod was given to you at the start of the game it would have use. In its current form it is extremely extremely niche that a player would receive this aura MoD first and gain some benefit from using it. In fact it would be better if this aura was removed and then the player would get a superior aura MoD in the alert and that niche has been destroyed.

Maybe after update 14 has passed and the "plate has been cleared" we can get some time for a quick pass on a few mods (also see speed holster and warm coat). However with that new unannounced thing that needs to be finished for mid - August I think the plate will be getting a second helping really quickly after update 14 is shipped.

Edited by MDRLOz

Let me clarify that in no way is my above statement reflective of:

Happiness with this mod in its current state.

or

That it's staying 'as is' and is final.

I answered OP's question that at this present time lots of players agree this mod sucks compared to counterpart, but if its all you have as an Aura in your inventory the extra energy is worthwhile.

Older feedback/further reading on the topic:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/183560-dead-eye-aura-values-make-no-sense-and-research-proves-it/
https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/183560-dead-eye-aura-values-make-no-sense-and-research-proves-it/?p=2139213

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/220306-why-would-i-ever-use-dead-eye/
https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/220306-why-would-i-ever-use-dead-eye/?p=2553133

Relevant, especially the 'when' is uncertain part:

The issues with Dead Eye's stats relative to Rifle Amp have been pointed out and don't seem to match up considering multi-weapon use. The only short term answer to 'why' is, given that it is Alert Only, would be if you don't yet have Rifle Amp and want higher Sniper Damage now (not a great answer but a possible one!).

The overall disparity has been logged when it was re-released and has potential to be reviewed, but an honest 'when' is uncertain at this time.

Rifle amp works on Snipers?!?!?!?

I thought the point of the release of Dead Eye was that this mod was now the only mod that could bump up sniper dmg.

I am ranking up the Lanka now and using it.... i guess im going to pop in rifle amp.

Rifle amp works on Snipers?!?!?!?

I thought the point of the release of Dead Eye was that this mod was now the only mod that could bump up sniper dmg.

I am ranking up the Lanka now and using it.... i guess im going to pop in rifle amp.

It works with bows too, strangely enough. Shotguns are pretty much the only thing it doesn't work with.

I agree that auras (especially damage buffs like Rifle Amp and Dead Eye) could use a little reviewing- most people seem to use Energy Siphon almost exclusively, except on high-end content, where something like Corrosive Projection becomes useful if the whole team's got it and are all stocked up on energy restore pads. Steel Charge is the only damage buff aura I see getting much use, and it's the one I personally use for my melee-based Excal and Ash.

Enemy Radar and Sprint Boost both have their own niches, though I almost never use them- you could make an argument for Loot Detector, but honestly I can't see using it when the Void is the only place with worthwhile drops (and even then, it's fairly easy to memorize where the loot boxes are in the Void).

I'm not sure if the other mods need looking at or if they should just stay as they are, but I wish there were more reasons to run some of the other aura mods. I see a lot about other kinds of mods that need balancing, but I haven't seen much on auras.

At any rate, yeah, aside from the reasons that Rebecca stated, there's no real reason to use Dead Eye over Rifle Amp- if you have both, then there isn't really any reason. Hopefully the Sniper balances will rework the mod to put it more in line with the other damage buffs.