Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

primetime112233

Dead Eye - Is It Useless?

Question

I primarily use the Lanka on Cerberus, Pluto these days to get practice leading my targets and farm T4 keys. I switch auras back and fourth to dead eye to try and see the damage difference but I can't tell what is going on. I seem to be just as effective without it, and that annoys me because every time I see it I want to equip it because it looks good, and after a while I switch back because it seems useless. Why does this mod suck so bad?

P.S.: I have looked through the forums and online before but I can't find a lead.

The general consensus is that this Aura is lacking in punch compared to its counterpart, Rifle Amp, which also works on Snipers. However, if you're not into trading, the only way to get Auras is Alerts which are random. This means it may be the only Aura some people have until they're able to get another, and the additional energy capacity is worthwhile if no other Auras are in your inventory.

OK now I know you are trying to justify a niche for this mod and put a positive spin on this. However it just does not work:

If you were into trading Mods then then are far more Rifle amps available than Dead eyes because it has been around a lot longer and people are more likely to have spares.

If you are not into trading then you basically just specified this MoD as a second rate aura that allows people to have an aura and get some capacity if they did not have an aura MoD. However if Dead eye did not exist then the aura MoD the player received from the alert would more likely be a different 5 rank aura even say... shotgun scavenger (generic aura mod off the top of my head).

Three rank mods are a complete over sight unless they really bring something valuable to compensate for the lack of energy capacity.

Maybe if this Aura was always obtainable or maybe if this aura mod was given to you at the start of the game it would have use. In its current form it is extremely extremely niche that a player would receive this aura MoD first and gain some benefit from using it. In fact it would be better if this aura was removed and then the player would get a superior aura MoD in the alert and that niche has been destroyed.

Maybe after update 14 has passed and the "plate has been cleared" we can get some time for a quick pass on a few mods (also see speed holster and warm coat). However with that new unannounced thing that needs to be finished for mid - August I think the plate will be getting a second helping really quickly after update 14 is shipped.

The general consensus is that this Aura is lacking in punch compared to its counterpart, Rifle Amp, which also works on Snipers. However, if you're not into trading, the only way to get Auras is Alerts which are random. This means it may be the only Aura some people have until they're able to get another, and the additional energy capacity is worthwhile if no other Auras are in your inventory.

But if we removed dead eye, and they had any other aura, they'd probably be better. IMO, buff it up past rifle amp, snipers are already hurting, they're worse than bows (damage wise), and are mostly ineffective for the gameplay (i.e. dealing with hordes of enemies)

Let me clarify that in no way is my above statement reflective of:

Happiness with this mod in its current state.

or

That it's staying 'as is' and is final.

I answered OP's question that at this present time lots of players agree this mod sucks compared to counterpart, but if its all you have as an Aura in your inventory the extra energy is worthwhile.

Older feedback/further reading on the topic:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/183560-dead-eye-aura-values-make-no-sense-and-research-proves-it/

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/183560-dead-eye-aura-values-make-no-sense-and-research-proves-it/?p=2139213

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/220306-why-would-i-ever-use-dead-eye/

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/220306-why-would-i-ever-use-dead-eye/?p=2553133

Relevant, especially the 'when' is uncertain part:

That is an awesome come back by Rebecca highlighting how it has been noted on multiple occasions and appropriate responses to the disparity in the power of this MoD have been noted. Definitely impressed with recall and organisation.

However it only highlights that this issue has been identified, acknowledged and passed on, yet no change has occurred. In-fact from Rebecca's first response to the issue (22 Feb 2014) to today (08 July 2014), 138 Days have passed; that is almost half a year.

Then again, I guess the problem has been the amount of effort consumed between Melee 2.0, Dark sectors, new ships and quest system (update 13+14). It has made last 6 months very heavy with big development projects. I would hope that once we have U14 in our hands there would be time for a check on things like this. However, then I remember the secret thing being developed for Mid-august unveiling that,on the devsteam, sounded like it was going to take a lot of work to make sure it was done in time. 

So probably looking for around September before we get a balance pass on these things done.

Let me clarify that in no way is my above statement reflective of:

Happiness with this mod in its current state.

or

That it's staying 'as is' and is final.

I answered OP's question that at this present time lots of players agree this mod sucks compared to counterpart, but if its all you have as an Aura in your inventory the extra energy is worthwhile.

Older feedback/further reading on the topic:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/183560-dead-eye-aura-values-make-no-sense-and-research-proves-it/
https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/183560-dead-eye-aura-values-make-no-sense-and-research-proves-it/?p=2139213

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/220306-why-would-i-ever-use-dead-eye/
https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/220306-why-would-i-ever-use-dead-eye/?p=2553133

Relevant, especially the 'when' is uncertain part:

The issues with Dead Eye's stats relative to Rifle Amp have been pointed out and don't seem to match up considering multi-weapon use. The only short term answer to 'why' is, given that it is Alert Only, would be if you don't yet have Rifle Amp and want higher Sniper Damage now (not a great answer but a possible one!).

The overall disparity has been logged when it was re-released and has potential to be reviewed, but an honest 'when' is uncertain at this time.

Thanks everyone for all of the information. I feel that my knowledge base for this game has been permanently expanded. I will use rifle amp for now until something else comes up later on. :  )

my advice is quit complaining so much of course there are things I would like to see changed too but demanding like this will get you nowhere

This is a forum. Feedback, especially constructive feedback, is sought out.

Rifle amp works on Snipers?!?!?!?

I thought the point of the release of Dead Eye was that this mod was now the only mod that could bump up sniper dmg.

I am ranking up the Lanka now and using it.... i guess im going to pop in rifle amp.

Dead Eye adds 20% damage, but that damage stacks additively with Serration and HCal

If you're using Serration, @+165%, you're doing 265% base damage, so adding 20% means you're doing 285% damage, which is an increase of only 7.5%

If you're using Serration and HCal, it's an increase of only 4.65%.

Edit: Rifle Amp isnt really any better, at +10.1% and +6.3%

@ d-iabLOFan

I don't demand anything, but if you have ever modded any game you will know that most weapons, armor, items, enemies all have their variables in a simple text file.

Tweaking these things is insanely quick, that is the very reason these things are defined in such a file.

Open DeadEye.cfg find the line that say DamageBoost, change the figure.

It really is that simple, and if you are changing 0.20 to 0.27 for the percentage damage increase, I doubt there will be exploding PS4s and PCs everywhere.

Edit: Also, we clearly have different definitions of complaining, I asked a question, you say "quit complaining so much".

I understand this as voicing the philosophy that like almost all RPGs, there is worse gear and there is better gear; tiering, basically. So Dead Eye is like a level 3 Aura (out of 10) and Rifle Amp is like a level 5 Aura, so it is a direct upgrade. Also, I'm not saying that's what DE necessarily thinks as a development team, but just what Rebecca is saying here. Don't pile on to it as god's gospel ;P.

Obviously what most people in this thread feel is that they would rather Dead Eye and Rifle Amp to be the same level, so to speak, both being level 5 Auras. I think the opinion is that Auras shouldn't be traditionally tiered, as in most RPGs, but all equally-powerful (more or less) utility options.

you'll need good eyes to see that rifle amp gives a bigger boost than dead eye and works on sniper too

So is it on the list to get buffed or are the guys leaving it as it is because it still works as a stepping stone aura?

-snip-

To be fair, Dead Eye was already balanced once back when it was first transmuted and released by mistake, so I think it was always sort of a band-aid fix for the mod itself. I'm hoping that they've held off on balancing the mod until Sniper Rifles are reworked, so that they can get a better idea of what damage buff it should get. It's not exactly a pressing issue at the moment because few players actively use Sniper Rifles, something that will hopefully change with the rework.

The Maxed stat damage benefits are higher for a Rifle Amp than for Dead Eye, and the amount of Mod Points you get off the aura are higher for Rifle Amp (+7 versus +5).

1. Am I missing some hidden bonus or is Rifle Amp clearly the superior Aura to use on sniper builds instead? 

2. What if Dead Eye were changed by DE to have increased zoom when aiming AND changed from a damage bonus to a Crit Multiplier bonus instead?

3. That should give both Auras separate roles while also synergizing teamplay, yes?

Edit: Numbered my questions for easier answering.

250px-LeDeadEye.png VERSUS  250px-RifleAmpAura.png

Personally i'd give Dead Eye a marginally better better bonus than Rifle Amp and have it cause a quick stagger/recoil effect on hits to npc's, it needs more than just dmg bonus differences to rifle amp and snipers need something extra to challenge bows.

2. What if Dead Eye were changed by DE to have increased zoom when aiming

Gods no!  :O 

High zoom is a pain in the butt and gets in the way roughly eleven thousand times more often than it's actually needed to hit a target.

@ d-iabLOFan

I don't demand anything, but if you have ever modded any game you will know that most weapons, armor, items, enemies all have their variables in a simple text file.

Tweaking these things is insanely quick, that is the very reason these things are defined in such a file.

It really is that simple, and if you are changing 0.20 to 0.27 for the percentage damage increase, I doubt there will be exploding PS4s and PCs everywhere.

Edit: Also, we clearly have different definitions of complaining, I asked a question, you say "quit complaining so much".

You've made valid points, ignore that guy. I've been wondering about steel charge myself, but that's for another topic.

@ d-iabLOFan

No argument (assuming YOUR assumptions are correct), just pointing out that on any given day, there are prolly a hundred different people on here saying 'Could you please ignore all the rest of these yahoo's demands for just a teeny-weeny minute and do this one little-bitty thing for ME that I don't think will take you very long at all?'  Plan accordingly.

"Dead Eye" aura is about as useful as the "Cheese Sandwich" aura, both are completely useless but at least provide free mod points.

So is it on the list to get buffed or are the guys leaving it as it is because it still works as a stepping stone aura?

I sure hope it is. The whole concept of a "stepping stone" aura is an awful one. If Dead Eye could be guaranteed to be obtained before Rifle Amp it might make sense, but that isn't the case. Because of the random nature of alerts, it's entirely possible to get Rifle Amp beforehand, in which case dead eye becomes decisively obsolete.