Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Could Someone Enlighten Me On Non Aoe Melees?

Jeffrywinkles

Question

so right from what i can tell and all the lurking ive done on melee topics, AOE melee's with Charge dmg+Charge speed+Armor pen is kind of the "meta" of melee right now

and as far as i can tell every heavy weapon has a huge charge dmg with exceptions such as Dual heat/Dual zoren

so my question is why even run with anything other than the heavy and dual weapons? weapons such as ,skana/plasma sword/jaw sword/etc/etc.

from the wiki, most single target melee weapons have about 100-150 base charge dmg with a 1.0 charge speed, nearly every heavy weapon has 200 charge dmg and a 2.0 charge speed, so fully modded up heavy weapons will always out dps the single target ones in theory.

now please keep on topic and try not needlessly flame me if i happen to have the wrong info, im just wanting to understand the in's and out's of the game.

7 answers to this question

People do not use the single target melee weapons because they are pretty underwhelming, especially the ones like jaw sword/plasma sword that drop as BP's from the ? Alerts. Really under powered which sucks cause some of the skins look really cool.

I personally feel that all the melee weapons should be able to at least hit the guy next to the one you're attacking if you're real close, especially the Cronus, but thats just me.

That being said, they (meaning single hitters like the skana/Cronus) exist as cheaper alternatives and work just fine on the lower levels.

Edited by Vo1tair3

Furax user here. They're my favorite because they're fun to use. They aren't always useful or super amazing, but they ARE always fun.

FALCON PUNCH! Hahah I completly forgot about those xD Like you said not always useful, but lots of fun :)

Something of note: the 1.0 chargespeed on the wiki simply refers to the ratio of charge speed to default for that weapon, not even the class. Its basically a filler stat that doesnt mean anything at all atm. For example DHS shows a charge speed of 1 but is actually about 1.5-2x longer to charge than other longswords.

Heavy weapons dont allow you to move while swinging, meaning no dodging, no avoiding aoes, and slower movement through a level imo.

DHS does subpar 'regular' damage, and the charge is pretty long and can be interrupted by melee attacks.

I personally cant stand using heavy weapons (I would use them on a tanky char tho), so I use:

Fang for Grineer

Dual Zoren for Infested

DHS for ranged builds and bosses.

Whatever was already equipped for Corpus.

Fang is single target, but ignores armor reductions so it's incredibly useful against the heavily armored Grineer. Zoren gains bonusus against infested (or at least no reductions), hits multiple enemies, and the regular swings arent interrupted by attacks. I never use the charge attack with these two weapons (sometimes Zoren will be charged against Ancients but becuse I dont mod for it its pretty lackluster, prefer to use akbolto for them).

DHS is a little rediculous atm. The only disadvantage is the slow charge speed, somewhere around a full second even with +charge speed mods. Still faster than the 2h weapons, and you can charge the weapon while running towards an enemy. Basically walk through everything, and can hit 3 enemies at once. You can also run in and out of melee range on mobs without much risk of being hit.

With 150% charge damage the base charge damage is 375, and that ignores armor. With all the +element mods, you're looking at 112.5 elec, 225 cold, 337.5 fire, 337.5 ap damage in one charge attack, almost 1400 pre-reduction damage. In reality, I'm seeing something like 1k damage per hit, and 2 shotting elite units (ancients, gunners) in the 40s.

Standing still and charge-attacking a boss I'm fairly sure the 2h weapons will do more dps. But I can solo certain melee bosses without getting hit, by running in circles around them while charging.

Furax user here. They're my favorite because they're fun to use. They aren't always useful or super amazing, but they ARE always fun.

yeah there is no doubt that each melee weapon has their own fun factor(gram with fury is perhaps my favorite thing to do while running infected missions, smash smash smash) but the Min-Max Gamer inside of me just dies a little at how inefficient most of the melee weapons are

Something of note: the 1.0 chargespeed on the wiki simply refers to the ratio of charge speed to default for that weapon, not even the class. Its basically a filler stat that doesnt mean anything at all atm. For example DHS shows a charge speed of 1 but is actually about 1.5-2x longer to charge than other longswords.

has DE commented on how vague their stats are in the game? like will we ever get a proper ingame way of knowing what does what? like for instanced how fang does increased dmg to grineer and decreased dmg to infected and how stun/crit mods do not affect it, its a bit ridiculous that basic things like this have to be dug up.

Edited by Jeffrywinkles

Inefficient? They're all free (no cost to use), which is textbook efficiency. Do you mean ineffective? Great for groups (i.e Infested) imo 'cause I hate wasting so many points on piercing mods and dead bodies blocking my shots makes ranged attacks vs. groups innefficient. (See whut I did there? :P)

Edited by Darzk