Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Anyone Else Not Hyped For Player Ships?

Drunken_Child

Posted Today, 04:31 AM

Aggh, on 07 Jul 2014 - 11:33 PM, said:

The creation of actual game play systems/mechanics are more integral to game building than a flashy UI.  I'd have though that would be fairly obvious to most people :|

Consider that this update will most likely take a full month longer than some of the most comprehensive and game changing updates that the game has had.  And most of that is because of the player ship.  Imagine all the extra playable content we could have if they instead spent that time on more quests, lore, the proxy war system and the focus system.

The novelty will wear off quickly once you run through all the content of the update.  I'd have preferred that we get more new gameplay content rather than a new flashy UI.

This.

^

DE is all about the new shiny   skins atm , sadly 

Let me see if I get this correctly.

Acording to your post, you think that a new and flashy UI, an interface that the only thing that does is to get you to certain menus such as buying/modifying/changing/etc you gear and weapons, see the "photos" you have made to the enemies (all this outside missions) or how you see how much health/energy/shield/ammo you have (that in missions) are more important than fixing bugs (such as the inability to shoot or fight at all when an Ash does Bladestorm, to say one example from the very long list), the balancing of weapons/frames, adding more and different types of enemies/game modes or the connectivity issues a lot of players are actually experiencing and that DOES make tons of new players, and also old ones, leave the game?

Please, tell me I have misunderstood. I need to hear (read) that to stop myself calling you names you would deserve otherwise.

Yes. You have misunderstood. Completely.

But it's good to see you'd be so ready to call a person names just because you disagree with them. That shows true sportsmanship, and always helps a good discussion along. Accepting opinions and giving your own instead of crushing them under your heel is boring!

Yes. You have misunderstood. Completely.

But it's good to see you'd be so ready to call a person names just because you disagree with them. That shows true sportsmanship, and always helps a good discussion along. Accepting opinions and giving your own instead of crushing them under your heel is boring!

Right because the opinion of an UI being more important than true game performance is absolutely based on the benefit of all players while the other way around is only a fistful of crap, right?

I'm sorry if I consider (not calling anything you right now, just numering what I would say) fools, brainless or morons people that think that way, but I like my juice to actually taste like the fruit I like, not only to look like it. It may be "cool" the new UI, but if the game doesn't perform as good as "it looks", then I don't think the new players will want to stay, despite you can have a Kubrow in your shiny ship.

Edited by Hawner

Right because the opinion of an UI being more important than true game performance is absolutely based on the benefit of all players while the other way around is only a fistful of crap, right?

Except, I didn't say this.

But whatever. You keep misunderstanding what I write, I'll leave you to it. Have fun! :)

Edited by AdunSaveMe

Let me see if I get this correctly.

Acording to your post, you think that a new and flashy UI, an interface that the only thing that does is to get you to certain menus such as buying/modifying/changing/etc you gear and weapons, see the "photos" you have made to the enemies (all this outside missions) or how you see how much health/energy/shield/ammo you have (that in missions) are more important than fixing bugs (such as the inability to shoot or fight at all when an Ash does Bladestorm, to say one example from the very long list), the balancing of weapons/frames, adding more and different types of enemies/game modes or the connectivity issues a lot of players are actually experiencing and that DOES make tons of new players, and also old ones, leave the game?

Please, tell me I have misunderstood. I need to hear (read) that to stop myself calling you names you would deserve otherwise.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot about how the RNG works here, but I don't think that is going to be improved any time soon.

No new player will have a chance to care about any of these things if they can't get into the game.

Sorry, I don't get your point. O.o

So, you're concerned about all of these problems that are prevalent in the game to you and most other veteran players, right?

Well, these new players won't see these problems until they get to your point in the game. But Warframe is notorious for having a particularly confusing new player experience.

Video for reference: 

Now, Warframe is a Free2Play game. F2P games thrive on new players that are more likely to spend money on the game early on, because they don't exactly know the game well enough to have patience with it yet.

Players without friends already in the game with them(sometimes even with friends) aren't likely to stay with it long enough to even see these problems you claim should have priority. This is all because the current new player experience is "Here's a gun. You can shoot it. Here's a sword. You can swing it. Good luck." Then the hapless n00b is dropped onto Mercury with no explanation of crafting, catalysts/reactors, forma, modding, or mastery rank, among other things that are in such a terrible state according to the more experienced players.

But the thing is, a new player has to want to play the game to see the flaws. Currently DE isn't making new players want to play. No new players=death of a free2play title. That's where this update comes in.

So, you're concerned about all of these problems that are prevalent in the game to you and most other veteran players, right?

Well, these new players won't see these problems until they get to your point in the game. But Warframe is notorious for having a particularly confusing new player experience.

Video for reference: 

Now, Warframe is a Free2Play game. F2P games thrive on new players that are more likely to spend money on the game early on, because they don't exactly know the game well enough to have patience with it yet.

Players without friends already in the game with them(sometimes even with friends) aren't likely to stay with it long enough to even see these problems you claim should have priority. This is all because the current new player experience is "Here's a gun. You can shoot it. Here's a sword. You can swing it. Good luck." Then the hapless n00b is dropped onto Mercury with no explanation of crafting, catalysts/reactors, forma, modding, or mastery rank, among other things that are in such a terrible state according to the more experienced players.

But the thing is, a new player has to want to play the game to see the flaws. Currently DE isn't making new players want to play. No new players=death of a free2play title. That's where this update comes in.

Ok, now I understand it and I would like to weight in.

A new UI/ship/whatever is not going to make the newbies stay. To make the game enjoyable will. Do not only give them a weapons and kick them into mercury, make it like an interactive guided tour where, similar to the tutorial, they will shoot enemies (This time they will be really fighting for they life) and complete the mission under the guidance of Lotus (This mark on the minimap is you, that is your objective, those are enemies... etc). That would be nice.

Then, a handful of weapons should be made accessible to them from the beginning, much like the first 3 frames are. For example: "Here you have a Shotgun, a Rifle and a Sniper. Choose which will be your first weapon". Sort of. That would make new players want to keep going a little further. They have not only chose their first frame but also their first weapon! They will want more!

The point of this is, a new look is not a reason that makes a player stay; a good gaming experience does. A UI can be as simple as 2 bars and a few numbers that say how much ammo you have and be as addictive as any other game.

DE SHOULD focus in the performance of the game AND in the gaming experience of the new players, as you perfectly have said. Not in a new UI.

Ok, now I understand it and I would like to weight in.

A new UI/ship/whatever is not going to make the newbies stay. To make the game enjoyable will. Do not only give them a weapons and kick them into mercury, make it like an interactive guided tour where, similar to the tutorial, they will shoot enemies (This time they will be really fighting for they life) and complete the mission under the guidance of Lotus (This mark on the minimap is you, that is your objective, those are enemies... etc). That would be nice.

Then, a handful of weapons should be made accessible to them from the beginning, much like the first 3 frames are. For example: "Here you have a Shotgun, a Rifle and a Sniper. Choose which will be your first weapon". Sort of. That would make new players want to keep going a little further. They have not only chose their first frame but also their first weapon! They will want more!

The point of this is, a new look is not a reason that makes a player stay; a good gaming experience does. A UI can be as simple as 2 bars and a few numbers that say how much ammo you have and be as addictive as any other game.

DE SHOULD focus in the performance of the game AND in the gaming experience of the new players, as you perfectly have said. Not in a new UI.

The UI is not only for new players you know.

For a long while DE and players alike have wanted a less confusing UI. This overhaul grounds the player and makes everything around them into physical, visual objects that make sense. They already mentioned that players who don't want to deal with that can access everything in a menu if they wish to do so.

You may only see it as bells and whistles, but really, what is NOT bells and whistles in a videogame? It places the player into the universe of Warframe by physically representing the mechanics. More immersion is always a good thing, and this is just what it provides.

I remember Steve mentioning in the last devstream that new players might also have more choice as to their starting weapons too.

The new player experience isn't meant to make new players stay. It is to make them WANT to stay. This is crucial, because you can have the most entertaining game made by mankind, but none of that amazing mid-end gameplay will matter because the common new player has a terrible time getting into the game.

The UI is not only for new players you know.

For a long while DE and players alike have wanted a less confusing UI. This overhaul grounds the player and makes everything around them into physical, visual objects that make sense. They already mentioned that players who don't want to deal with that can access everything in a menu if they wish to do so.

You may only see it as bells and whistles, but really, what is NOT bells and whistles in a videogame? It places the player into the universe of Warframe by physically representing the mechanics. More immersion is always a good thing, and this is just what it provides.

I now it's not only for new players, but as you started using them as a reason I continued using them too.

I am a veteran player, and I consider a new UI, one with "more things", useless. The one we have right now is perfect. I don't need to be physicaly in a ship with an holographic stellar map in front of me, I already feel like I am in the Stellar Map. I AM part of it, just sitting in there, looking at the galaxy like a Guardian Angel. Geekyness apart, It's like I am in one of the holographic rooms from Star Trek!

I want go to Mercury, I click on it; I want to go to Mars, I click on it; I want to go to Saturn, I click on it... What is confusing about it? O.o

The menus are in the upper part, not interfering at all in the background visual but still noticeable, the alerts at the left, the chat in the lower-left corner... everything is positioned to let yourself immerse in your role as a Tenno: to protect the Galaxy. You are not looking at some hologram, you are looking down at it like a god! It is simple, easy and freaking awesome! What more do you want?

I remember Steve mentioning in the last devstream that new players might also have more choice as to their starting weapons too.

Glad to know that. It's a very good news for new players.

The new player experience isn't meant to make new players stay. It is to make them WANT to stay. This is crucial, because you can have the most entertaining game made by mankind, but none of that amazing mid-end gameplay will matter because the common new player has a terrible time getting into the game.

Wait, wait, wait! What did you just said? "The new player experience isn't meant to make new players stay. It is to make them WANT to stay."? What the hell is that supposed to mean? Both are the same! If they stay in the game, no matter the reasons, is because THEY WANT! Does DE force players to stay in front of their screens with duck-tape or something?

And I just said 2 or 3 things, I don't remember, that would help new players to want to stay in the game. And those were only a handful of the many things DE could do... if they weren't busy making a new UI.

Also, this is something that just crossed my mind: maybe the new players will not get to where the "problems" are until later in the game. But there are already some problems in the early game. With help, they can get Ash, with the bugs he has; they can get Trinity, with the problems she comes with; they can get Nova... well, let's not speak of her; they will need materials to make new weapons, and those materials are not easy to come by in the early game (Ergo, they will stick with the MK1 for quite some time unless they are helped by veterans... And even then it doesn't have to be easy either)...

In the end, the "Oh my gosh, what an incredible UI this game has, I can have a dog-thing, a hologram of the solar system and so much more!" will get old quick and they will leave because the only joy the game offers them is that, a "nice" UI.

Again, not worth it.

I'd probably agree. Who cares about immersion in a farming casual shooter? It's not some tactical, atmospheric or historical game. You go, you shoot stuff, you pick loot, you enjoy the pixels. From the livesteam preview of ships, I hope there WILL be an option to keep the current UI, be able to navigate everything at the press of a button. What I do not want - is to have to run there and back every time, like in SWTOR. It's the effing stupidest idea. Zone in and out, go from room to room just to do routine stuff. I already hate to go to dojo just to pick blueprint from console, which could really be extractable from menu. If I'd have to select missions or visit inventory or mail or foundry by going around the ship - might as well call it. Farming game takes time away from farming = counterproductive.

Edited by Wrathinside

With hype or without hype it's a good thing.

It integrates the player in the universe , even if won't be anything to fancy at the start it will create that feeling , and the U14 it's all about fitting the players and mostly the new players in the universe they play by opening the path to a new warframe game that will give you more sense and purpose.

I think a lot of players will be glad of U14 for it's the first step in making the player feel part of the environment by opening the door to quests , lore and integration , things a lot of people wanted to see.

I don't expect it to be to spread from the start as i seen some players saying changing the ui and adding a ship won't change much , but it's the first step in the right direction and i'm pretty sure the new player experience it's the main goal of it that will have a greater impact for them than for the old players , but will open the game in a new direction we all wanted.

Edited by RavensNight

I am curious about the ship but only if the kubrow is optional. Alternatively it is acceptable if the kubrow is on the ship but somehow I can kil it.

You cannot kill it, but you can release it into the wild, if that's what you want.It won't be on the player ship once you release it.