The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Making Tanks Sturdier

FatRefrigerator

Watching the launch trailer made me think.

In the trailer, the Rhino is hit by some sort of kinetic or concussive attack from the boss and activates Iron Skin and does this cool slide instead of getting knocked back. Now in-game, when Iron Skin is active, nothing happens to Rhino's when hit by an attack that would typically knock you down. This is good because it gives Iron Skin a bit more usefulness other than the damage reduction. However, I think it would be cool if the Rhino had a passive knockdown resistance that, instead of just flopping to the ground when hit by a shield lancer, like most frames do, if it did the cool "one-hand-on-the-ground-slide-back-thing" like in the trailer. This resistance would always be active even when Iron Skin is off and would give the Rhino a slightly quicker recovery speed from knockdowns than other frames.

EDIT:

It seems we have 2 options here:

This first set of lists is one option...

Things that should make Rhino do the cool slide with a quicker recovery:
Shockwave Moa shockwaves
Jackal/Hyena shockwaves(This may be a bit OP, but I'll put it out there)
Shield Lancer's shield bash
The AoE ground slam that minibosses do(Grineer minigunners, bombardiers, etc.)
Melee attacks from ancients(The strong ones that sound like a shield hitting you)

Things that Rhino should be unaffected by (but still take damage):
Railgun Moa shots
Melee attacks from mooks (This includes Grineer Sawmen, Corpus Prod Crewmen, etc.)
Grinders
Grenade explosions(I'm not even sure if they stagger you at all...)
Exploding infected runners
Infected Chargers
The ranged stretchy arm attack from ancients

The gist of the list:
If it makes other frames flop to the ground, it should just make Rhinos do the slide.
If it staggers other frames, it should not affect the Rhinos.

This is the other option:

Have an armor value above a certain number (let's say 100) give you a percentage of a chance to resist being knocked down/staggered. Each armor point above 100 would give you a (let's say 0.5%) chance of resisting. When a knockdown is resisted, the frame will do the cool slide thing WHICH I REALLY HOPE THEY ADD BECAUSE ITS EXTREMELY COOL, I MEAN COME ON, WE CAN WALL RUN, WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO HAVE THIS TOO. When a stagger is resisted, nothing will happen to the frame.

This option seems to be held as better due to it giving all frames (except the super light frames) a chance at having knockdown resistance.

Edited by FatRefrigerator

so no tank perks?

dammit... I have a day and a half till my Rhino is built and you guys just told me he's no use >.>

well... damn... looking forward to some updates then :)

Keep this post at the top of the forum page and hope it gets "hot" status and the devs may very well add this in!

They should link knockdown/stuns to the Armour stat. That would make tanks more durable as well as make that stat a bit more useful.

Explain to me how this would work. I thought about it myself but couldn't think of a way to make it a consistent result. There are lots of factors to consider(Enemy level, how much armour does what, what happens when you actually get hit).

Explain to me how this would work. I thought about it myself but couldn't think of a way to make it a consistent result. There are lots of factors to consider(Enemy level, how much armour does what, what happens when you actually get hit).

Having low and potentialy low weight (lets put a number 10 here) would make it fly back instead of normal knockdown while when getting to higher armor ( lets say 60) knockdowns would barely push you back a few steps, going further (let it be 80) you would only get staggered by knockdown and 100 armor would give complete immunity to knockdowns.

Also dmg overrides like iron skin sets it on highest resistance

Edited by Davoodoo

Having low and potentialy low weight (lets put a number 10 here) would make it fly back instead of normal knockdown while when getting to higher armor ( lets say 60) knockdowns would barely push you back a few steps, going further (let it be 80) you would only get staggered by knockdown and 100 armor would give complete immunity to knockdowns.

Also dmg overrides like iron skin sets it on highest resistance

I would agree with this, but the problem is that you could then have an Ash or Excalibur that is resistant to knockdowns. That's not what I was going for in the least. I wanted to give tanks something to make them worth using. Making the armor stat more or less be an inertia modifier would further detract from the diminished value of tanks in this game.

What needs to be done is to give the tank warframes specifically a knockdown resistance passive, so that only they can resist them.

I dont really think that it should be applied to the frost as well, according to the wiki, the frost is a tiny bit faster than the xcal, while the rhino is 50% slower. make this what the 50% slower is good for, besides rhino is supposed to be the super tank, and frost is supposed to be tanky dps.

ooh yes

Although, my Frost is marginally faster than Excal, Volt and the like now, because of a 15% Rush :P

I dont really think that it should be applied to the frost as well, according to the wiki, the frost is a tiny bit faster than the xcal, while the rhino is 50% slower. make this what the 50% slower is good for, besides rhino is supposed to be the super tank, and frost is supposed to be tanky dps.

I only know about the Frost what I've been told so I'm gonna take your word for it that Frost is just a tanky DPS. I'll change the main post accordingly.

And about the armour stat, the only reason I am against knockdown resistance being contingent on armour value, is because then all frames can enjoy the resistance. The whole point of this post was to give the Rhino something to set it apart from the other frames.

There's also a disclaimer somewhere that the listed stats for base speed is rubbish. Either that, or it's interpreted wrongly. Frost is listed at 1.05 sprint speed, and Excal, Volt etc at 1.

Having personally played him, I can assure you that unmodded he is the same speed as Rhino.

Edited by CheeseHasLeafs