Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Amprex Or Boltor Prime?

Yazeth

Question

I'm trying to decide which weapon I should focus on whenever I'm doing long Void missions. Boltor Prime has range, but has less dps compared to Amprex when it chains to other enemies. Which weapon is more viable when doing T4S for 40+ min?

14 answers to this question

i'm not sure about dps on either weapon but i can safely say that the amprex is awesome and does not need fire rate, amusingly enough. it does, however, need ammo mutation to make it less painful to use long term. i use viral shock as elements for it.

Boltor Prime is better, in my opinion, because it is a more flexible response. Amprex is only good when theres multiple weak enemies close together (though its excellent at that). Boltor is better in every other situation in terms of damage per second, ammo efficiency, and range. The amprex can work too, but I've found the boltor to be better for late survivals. 

here's my amprex build http://warframe-builder.com/Primary_Weapons/Builder/Amprex/t_30_20002200_128-7-3-131-3-5-132-4-5-137-0-8-140-1-5-153-2-3-156-6-3-159-5-5_137-6-140-9-153-9-131-9-132-8-159-5-156-7-128-7/en/2-0-47/ (edit2: STUPIDURLSHORTENER) i intend to drop the cold damage mod for the future cold+status event mod, so it only really needs 3 forma, (you can also just tradeoff a rank of it to get the maxed serration in there). viral because hey, half hp and 62%ish status chance with multishot AND only two elements  shock for more area damage and crowd control. :D if you put fire rate into this gun it just devours ammo a lot faster than is practically sustainable.

Edited by Retrikaethan

There's certainly room for debate, but I would say for a 40min+ t4s, Boltor prime every time (and I made a rhyme :)    With a shred on your boltor prime it'll chew through crowds, it may even be better at it than an amprex (also, it'll shoot through cover.) Also, it may depend which frame you bring, and your build for that frame (some frames tend to keep a distance from enemies and cast on t4sur, like Nyx, Mag, or Nova.) For something like that, range seems essential. However, if you're using a radial-disarm loki, maybe not so much. I'd still say boltor prime though, especially for dealing with heavy gunners.

My boltor prime build:

http://warframe-builder.com/Primary_Weapons/Builder/Boltor_prime/t_30_33242232_131-3-5-132-7-5-133-0-5-134-5-5-137-2-10-141-1-5-149-6-5-150-4-10_133-6-141-6-137-7-131-5-150-8-134-6-149-11-132-8/en/2-0-44/11451/0

You don't even need shred; ragdoll damage will do the exact same thing.

Thats true for low leveled enemies, but it has to kill an enemy to ragdoll it. 40+ min on a t4 survival and ragdoll becomes pretty useless, but punch through still stands up (also it shoots through cover, a nice bonus.) Also, it increases fire rate considerably.

edit: also, I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure bullets still do more damage than the flying dead bodies. I'm not sure how the dmg works, but the bodies definitely have no multishot, which punch through does (as all the bullets go through 1 enemy and into the next.) It'd also surprise me if they used elemental dmg.

Edited by Snowman486

Thanks for the quick replies. It looks like the Boltor Prime wins for the majority, so I;ll put my time into that weapon. Might go back to the Amprex later on, though.

the problem is that the amprex is a status weapon, boltor prime seems to win single target but you also gotta consider that the amprex can also hit up to 3 total targets so if you're shooting groups, the amprex wins out a bit more, especially for applying status chance.

Thats true for low leveled enemies, but it has to kill an enemy to ragdoll it. 40+ min on a t4 survival and ragdoll becomes pretty useless, but punch through still stands up (also it shoots through cover, a nice bonus.) Also, it increases fire rate considerably.

True. Just depends on the build. I run shred on one of my builds, but on my main one I switched it out for an extra elemental. Either way it's more than enough to kill the crap out of everything.

If you want a weapon that can proc like no one's business, look no further than the Amprex. If you're looking for straight-up damage, run the Boltor Prime. They're two of my favorite weapons, but each has their own place. It really depends on the weapon loadout you've got; for example, if I'm running a DPS-based Secondary, then I might run Amprex over Boltor Prime, while I would bring the Boltor Prime when I've got a proc-based Secondary, ie: Tysis.

They are both phenomenal weapons and red crits have only made the Amprex all the better, but the Boltor Prime is better for general use.