Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Enemy Codex Completions Should Net You Mastery

--Q--JoeTheBanshee

Right now we have 149 enemies available to scan within the codex. That's quite a lot of scans assuming that enemies need between 5-30 scans each. For new players it is a useful tool to see strengths, weaknesses, rewards, and information. For most veteran players it holds little use beyond rewards.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to find a common reward for taking the time to expand and complete your codex...

That is where Mastery comes in. Given the 149 enemies, I think 250-500 mastery per completion is a small enough reward to not hurt the 'Mastery Economy' but is large enough to be a fair and useful reward for all players.

149 * 250 = 37250 Mastery

149 * 300 = 44700 Mastery

149 * 400 = 59600 Mastery

149 * 500 = 74500 Mastery

This, if implemented, will also increase the usefulness of Helios.

So let's hear it, good idea or bad? Does it need tweaking or is it fine the way it is? Be respectful and remain on topic!

THREAD MOVED HERE and contains new suggestions and information!

Edited by -CM-JoeTheBanshee

Yes and No...

Yes:

It makes perfect sense.

No:

I have never seen a Scaverger Osprey Eximus, along with half a dozen others. If I haven't seen one in 900hours, then I am never going to scan 20.

I once saw a Shock Crawler Eximus. It died before I could pull out my scanner.

Yes and No...

Yes:

It makes perfect sense.

No:

I have never seen a Scaverger Osprey Eximus, along with half a dozen others. If I haven't seen one in 900 hours, then I am never going to scan 20. 

I once saw a Shock Crawler Eximus. It died before I could pull out my scanner.

You're definitely right about some of the Eximus versions of enemies being incredibly rare.

Edited by -CM-JoeTheBanshee

Care to elaborate? What about it is a turn off for you? 

Sure.

I find the scanning process with the codex scanner tedious, and equipping a sentinel to do it for me wouldn't warrant 74500 Mastery. I couldn't think of a single reason to give a big mastery boost for scanning. Besides, the codex entries we unlock with scanning is the reward for scanning.

(not looking to argue, just stating my opinion.)

Sure.

I find the scanning process with the codex scanner tedious, and equipping a sentinel to do it for me wouldn't warrant 74500 Mastery. I couldn't think of a single reason to give a big mastery boost for scanning. Besides, the codex entries we unlock with scanning is the reward for scanning.

(not looking to argue, just stating my opinion.)

That's a very valid point. What do you think, besides mastery, would be incentive enough to complete your Codex?

I fail to see why just because some people don't like scanning that this is a bad idea. Don't like scanning? Don't scan.

It's not like having higher mastery will make them stronger or anything at all, all "against" points right now seem rather silly (unless I misread something)

I fail to see why just because some people don't like scanning that this is a bad idea. Don't like scanning? Don't scan.

It's not like having higher mastery will make them stronger or anything at all, all "against" points right now seem rather silly (unless I misread something)

This is also true.

I agree. Scanning can be tedious but a common reward like Mastery would definitely be incentive enough for many players.

I personally despise this idea, but I'm biased since I hate scanning entirely.  However I do have a reasoning to offset the irrational hate filled side;

The Codex isn't a progress tool, it's an information gathering tool.  Your suggestion would transform it into a progression tool rather, so yeah.  The Codex is there for people who want to know more about stuff and junk, nothing more nothing less.

I personally despise this idea, but I'm biased since I hate scanning entirely.  However I do have a reasoning to offset the irrational hate filled side;

The Codex isn't a progress tool, it's an information gathering tool.  Your suggestion would transform it into a progression tool rather, so yeah.  The Codex is there for people who want to know more about stuff and junk, nothing more nothing less.

Is there anything you would change about the current Codex system that would make it more enjoyable or useful?

Is there anything you would change about the current Codex system that would make it more enjoyable or useful?

That's an interesting prospect.  The particular reason I hate it is due to how effectively jarring it is to actually/actively utilize during gameplay.  My gameplay style tends to be one of constant motion/activity, so having to suffer through the slow swap animation after messing with the gear selection wheel (I could hotkey scanners, but there are far more useful things to hotkey).

Basically scanning as it is does not, in any way, flow with the combat aspect of gameplay.  To effectively scan things you've got to stop combat entirely for a few moments and hope that nobody blows the target you need to scan into giblets.  That, or just go full stealth mode from the beginning which is at least now viable.

I'm not really sure how that could be changed without somehow just duct taping a scanner to the side of one of my weapons and using it as a poor Tenno's scope or something obscure like that.  Even then it would still slow down the gameplay noticeably.

A hot key for the scanner. That would help so much. I hate going through my inventory. 

To make it funner, I think it would be nice if you can press a button and then it'll show the enemie's weaknesses on your screen while in play.

That's an interesting prospect.  The particular reason I hate it is due to how effectively jarring it is to actually/actively utilize during gameplay.  My gameplay style tends to be one of constant motion/activity, so having to suffer through the slow swap animation after messing with the gear selection wheel (I could hotkey scanners, but there are far more useful things to hotkey).

Basically scanning as it is does not, in any way, flow with the combat aspect of gameplay.  To effectively scan things you've got to stop combat entirely for a few moments and hope that nobody blows the target you need to scan into giblets.  That, or just go full stealth mode from the beginning which is at least now viable.

I'm not really sure how that could be changed without somehow just duct taping a scanner to the side of one of my weapons and using it as a poor Tenno's scope or something obscure like that.  Even then it would still slow down the gameplay noticeably.

What if scanning was done when you killed an enemy with a certain weapon? What if the scanner itself was a weapon? In the game 3D Dot Game Heroes, to add monsters into the bestiary you had to kill them with the Bestiary (which was a large book). It was a comical way of doing it, but it felt more fun and challenging instead of tedious, especially if you wanted bosses added to it.

It's an interesting proposal to make the codex some obscure sword or gun that upon killing you received the information for that enemy. What do you think?

A hot key for the scanner. That would help so much. I hate going through my inventory. 

To make it funner, I think it would be nice if you can press a button and then it'll show the enemie's weaknesses on your screen while in play.

It is definitely tedious in its current state. A hotkey would help, but the scan time is quite annoying in the heat of battle, especially when you're trying to get drones.

How about we suggest this to make scanning a bit more tolerable: 

We change the Codex scanner to an expensive, permanent gear. The enemy Codex scan numbers will stay the same (or altered to balance this change). All you need to do is scan the enemy first, then the numbers will be filled by killing the same enemy (excluding the scanned one). 

E.g.: I spot a Toxic Ancient. I take out my new Codex scanner, and scan it once. Once this enemy is in my Codex page, every time I kill the Ancient, I will increase the scan number by one, until it is full (where it will show me everything about the enemy). 

If you check control customisation, it is possible to bind hotkeys for the inventory slots, and I have the scanner set to one for exactly this reason.

Just a thought, but why not have some codex entries award blueprints for appropriate weapons? Machetes from scorpions, Gorgons from gunners etc... At least from the current shop pool/vault.

How about we suggest this to make scanning a bit more tolerable: 

We change the Codex scanner to an expensive, permanent gear. The enemy Codex scan numbers will stay the same (or altered to balance this change). All you need to do is scan the enemy first, then the numbers will be filled by killing the same enemy (excluding the scanned one). 

E.g.: I spot a Toxic Ancient. I take out my new Codex scanner, and scan it once. Once this enemy is in my Codex page, every time I kill the Ancient, I will increase the scan number by one, until it is full (where it will show me everything about the enemy). 

That's a VERY good idea. Would definitely help!

Have any cool ideas to make the process more dynamic and interesting?

I haven't really thought about it, but whatever systems or process put into place must be intuitive. Taking out a camera and engaging in a 2 sec scan in a team trying to kill monsters asap, in a game about killing monsters asap is highly disruptive to the flow and not fun.

Of course one could organise a special group to travel the starmaps and take pictures of monsters, but it's way too niche of a gaming style which will hamper the mastery progress of anyone who came into this game for pakour space ninjas, and feel forced to play safari cam hunter to gain access to focus systems or etc

Edited by s3raphim99