Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

It's A Bird! It's A Plane! It's A....n Incredibly Slow Moving Object E.e

Deucalian

So here we go guys. What with a tankish support guy being suggested and my suggestion to turn his head into a rook battlement gone awry, I figured I'd do a chess-inspired tank guy. Why you ask? Because I CAN THAT'S WHY D;

So yeah. I'll also be using my craptastic template that needs to get a major overhaul as soon as I get better software to do it with (ala my home computer) just to show it off.

A few notes before we get started here:

• Rook is the name for the frame. All the abilities are named after chess terminology. Why? Cuz I'm fairly confident there's a connection between Rook and chess. Not 100% on that though.
  • A frame picture along with ability pictures will hopefully be coming soon. If not, then I'm more than willing to sub out and let one of my peons...I mean, fellow enthusiasts try their hand at it.
  • There'll be another list after the gigantic picture template thing that lists the exact details of skills and whatnot.
  • You should probably start scrolling down and actually read over stuff now. This is the end of the starter notes.

t5pywgz.png

Ability stuffs!!!

.:Absolute Pin:.

• So here's how this works.
  • Imagine Rhino Charge with double damage.
  • Now imagine that any enemy you run into is essentially a brick wall that stops the charge.
  • If there's nothing to stop you, then I'd imagine the range to be equivalent to 3/4 of the same rank of Rhino Charge.
  • Ranking should probably just be the standard "Damage+Range" stuff we're used to by now.
  • Absolute Pin is a chess term used to describe when you move a piece in such a way that the "pinned" piece cannot move as it would expose the King to check.

.:Castling:.

• This thing again? You bet.
  • It's essentially the rough equivalent to a Mag Pull that pulls the ally behind you.
  • Rook then gains a % of his shields recovered.
  • Ranking increases the % of shields recovered as well as the range of the pull.
  • Castling is a chess term used to describe when you move the King and Rook to better protect the King while also developing the Rook.

.:Fortress:.

• You should've gotten the gist of this by now, so let's get right into things.
  • Rook is rooted in place for the duration of this skill. Think of it like being hit by a Nauseous Crawler's....mouth stuff.
  • He takes -% damage while this ability is active. As much as I'd like to, I felt that giving him an essential clone of Iron Skin would get cried at as being OP.
  • The % damage he takes decreases as the ability ranks up (meaning he won't get hurt as much for those of you non-reading folks) and the duration increases (meaning it like...lasts longer).
  • Fortress is a chess term used when you're losing. It generally means "If I can get this guy here, then I can stop that guy from breaking through and hopefully draw out the game".

.:Lucena Position:.

• What this skill does is essentially mark an ally for Rook to assist. The targeting can work similar to say....Link, Well of Healing, stuffs like that.
  • When the selected target is damage, Rook rushes and barrels into the enemy that hit them (probably doing the "airtime stasis+ knockdown" thing. Maybe some damage).
  • Obviously there are restrictions against bosses and whatnot. Can't just have him rushing up to every boss and knocking them about. It'd probably do the same stagger effect that Grineer bosses generally take from certain skills/weapons, and probably nothing against Infested/Corpus bosses. Cuz they're jerks like that.
  • I really wanted to refrain from doing the "LOL KILL ERRYBODY" Ulti here, hence why I chose this. If someone suggests something better and can bring a chess theme to it, I'm more than happy to change it around.
  • Ranking would probably increase duration (stasis time), damage (from the charge part), and effective range (meaning that the target ally can get further away without the skill cancelling out).
  • Lucena Position is a position in chess where a player with a rook and an extra pawn can generally force the win.

So yeah. There's my guy and stuffs. All the information is there and whatnot. I kind of feel that I made him a bit UP simply because I was so worried that he'd be overpowered in the design concept of things e.e But yeah, changes can be made still and stuffs.

If anyone has any feedback/comments/criticisms/YOU SUCK DEUCs to throw around, this thread'll be here for that. If not, it'll probably sink into oblivion with the rest of the dead threads.

Edited by Deucalian

*Points at the fact that it's got 3 stats that are 150*

I figured it'd balance things out. Again like I said, wasn't trying to make it too terribly OP. Plus now that passives are back we get Power on level-ups so he'd be able to use them after a bit. As I said in the end-post, I think I was so concerned about making sure that he wouldn't be considered OP that I ended up nerfing him e.e

Edited by Deucalian

i like the effort you put into this post! but it might be too similar to rhino.

also the armor might need to be higher, or the healths, shields, shield recharge needs to be increased...after all, you did say the Rook was the big daddy T compared to the rhino

the kill everybody ult may not be too bad of a thing...because many warframes already have an ult like that

Edited by greenmanatee

Well, it's gonna be hell to move that slow and have no energy while leveling up to actually unlock his skills.

- Both Frost and Rhino has 3 stats at 150 and 1 at 100

Edited by Bitfly

i like the effort you put into this post! but it might be too similar to rhino.

also the armor might need to be higher, or the healths, shields, shield recharge needs to be increased...after all, you did say the Rook was the big daddy T compared to the rhino

the kill everybody ult may not be too bad of a thing...because many warframes already have an ult like that

Tis one of the main reasons I did Fortress the way I did. I knew as soon as I gave a tank that had a range movement skill an invul skill as well, he'd get cried at as being a Rhino clone e.e Tried to shy away from it. To the health/shield/whatever bit, like I said I'm open to suggestions. Same for the ulti thing. It was just something I wanted to shy away from simply because literally every friggin frame has one of those ._.;

Well, it's gonna be hell to move that slow and have no energy while leveling up to actually unlock his skills

Meh, it's again one of those things where I tried to keep him as close to being balanced as possible and probably ended up nerfing him in the process. I'm open to suggestions and whatnot on things that could probably improve it, seeing as how I'm fairly certain that he'd be bottom tier atm on the power scale simply from how far away I was trying to stay away from OP e.e

EDIT: Added a bit more stuffs to it from where I was speed reading.

EDIT again! Haha!: Orly? I wasn't really basing off any stats I was looking at at the time ._.; But yeah, I'll look into it. If nothing else I'll drop in ~25 extra Power and throw some extra tankiness in there.

EDIT to that last edit: Ermm...I'm checking right now and not seeing the last 150 stat. Unless you're referring to their pretty decent shield regen? Both keep Shields and Armor at 150. Rest of it is 100s (with the exception of the 22.5 Shield Recharges and their sprint speeds).

Edited by Deucalian

You know, text-only suggestions happen to be quite a lot more readable.

Yes, but I'm all about making people do extra work.

how about a ranged only attack, say 50 meters, like cannon fire from a fortress? too OP maybe

Could turn Fortress into a semi absorb-ish thing where you do a straight line puncture shot with all the damage you've absorbed after? Turn it into the ulti.

Edit: Hrmm...guess I'll do the 25 power thing and throw in some extra tank? I'll leave all that up to you guys though, since I've already nerfed my poor guy to hell and back ._.;

Edited by Deucalian

Hrmm...guess I'll do the 25 power thing and throw in some extra tank? I'll leave all that up to you guys though, since I've already nerfed my poor guy to hell and back ._.;

Comparing his stats to how I think you want him to be like in a battle, I think you overdid the balance resulting in nerfing. His run speed seems to be a huge handicap, and calls for stats that would make up for it

Comparing his stats to how I think you want him to be like in a battle, I think you overdid the balance resulting in nerfing. His run speed seems to be a huge handicap, and calls for stats that would make up for it

I was going off remembering how slow Rhino was when I did that e.e Like I said, I was going from the furthest from OP as possible. I'll probably jump up either his speed so he's at least close to being on par with Rhino and add in like ~15 Health or something along with the 25 Power, or something along those lines. Dunno ._.

I was going off remembering how slow Rhino was when I did that e.e Like I said, I was going from the furthest from OP as possible. I'll probably jump up either his speed so he's at least close to being on par with Rhino and add in like ~15 Health or something along with the 25 Power, or something along those lines. Dunno ._.

I suggest upping either his Shield Recovery, Sprint Speed or Power to make him more durable

Since Rhino gets 150 with .5 Speed and Rook is at .25 atm, I'd need to do all stats at 150 to even that out ._. So yeah, definite rework is in order. I'll probably drop him just under Rhino's speed, up the shield recovery some, and drop him at ~75 power.

I'll wait til I get some extra Ability input til I go through the process of finalizing the edit. Too lazy to continuously edit stuffs e.e

Edited by Deucalian

Reading the skills properly, I can see you have 1 tiny issues with Castling. As you mentioned, enemies from behind will be able to fire at the ally meant to be protected. I can also imagine it being a grief skill if people can't move out for the duration. My suggestion is that instead of blocking fire with his body (or something like this), pulling an ally would apply a small bubble much like Frost's Snow Globe skill. A small bubble that will block bullets, while also allowing the ally to move outside this field.

Reading the skills properly, I can see you have 1 tiny issues with Castling. As you mentioned, enemies from behind will be able to fire at the ally meant to be protected. I can also imagine it being a grief skill if people can't move out for the duration. My suggestion is that instead of blocking fire with his body (or something like this), pulling an ally would apply a small bubble much like Frost's Snow Globe skill. A small bubble that will block bullets, while also allowing the ally to move outside this field.

Yeah. I've been talking in-game about it a bit. Do like a small barrier if you will around the target? I'd need to find a way to do a theme with it ._.;

Yeah. I've been talking in-game about it a bit. Do like a small barrier if you will around the target? I'd need to find a way to do a theme with it ._.;

You suggesting something like this?

Pull the ally, the ally gets a barrier that block incoming damage, and the barrier will stick on him for x amount of time?

You suggesting something like this?

Pull the ally, the ally gets a barrier that block incoming damage, and the barrier will stick on him for x amount of time?

Possibly. I'd have to figure out how to make a theme of it though. Since Castling works by physically moving the protected unit and blocking with the Rook, that's why I'd had it like that. Doing a barrier...hmm....

Possibly. I'd have to figure out how to make a theme of it though. Since Castling works by physically moving the protected unit and blocking with the Rook, that's why I'd had it like that. Doing a barrier...hmm....

Yea it should definitely fit the theme, and a barrier probably wouldn't.. Which brings me back to a small bubble-kinda thing :p but still not quite fitting idk. Unless you wanna redo the theme in some way. Else you could make it simpler. Say, pull the target behind you while restoring some of your own shield (this would potentially save an ally, restoring some shield for yourself allowing you to withstand more damage. It's a cheap energy skill so this should be alright, and it fits the theme)

Edited by Bitfly

Yea it should definitely fit the theme, and a barrier probably wouldn't.. Which brings me back to a small bubble-kinda thing :p but still not quite fitting idk. Unless you wanna redo the theme in some way

I maybe...change Fortress into an Absorb-esque skill, and use Castling to do the pull and a % damage decrease in a radius around him? I'd have to raise the costs on them both probably (60 and probably 45-50ish, respectively) but it should be doable.

EDIT: That's actually a much better idea than what I was going to do, and a lot less work :D

The stats, as I've got them now, are: 150, 75, 175, 150, 20.00, .45. I'm still trying to keep him in the roll of the tank, and (I believe) that .45 is currently the slowest available Frame (Rhino with Thrak helmet).

Edited by Deucalian

Switched over to your suggestion. I'm also going to mock up some skill icons just because..I'm bored here at work. Since I'm at work, they'll be extremely low quality probably. Like..google-esque chess pieced quality ._.

Adding in an incredibly rough sketch. I'm at work, and my drawing skills suck...so here's this e.e

Click this cuz I don't want to post the ugliness here D;

So yeah. I tried to keep an organic feel to it as well as showing off steel....just lost the design completely after I left the hips though (worked from the ground up). If anyone is willing to do a rework of it, I'll love you forever. If not, I'll con persuade somebody to give Rook a much better avatar than....well, than what I did ._.

I'd like to see castling have a shield effect, as mentioned before, but only for the ally as the rook is effectively sacrificing himself.

I also feel to become the tank frame, fortress should draw aggro, so have the frame let out a roar or something, drawing all nearby enemy fire to himself whilst bracing for impact?

Otherwise i like the idea of the frame.

I've actually left the design up to another player who believes that they can make a better working version of Rook, so I'll have to wait until their idea is presented before I can really continue editing and whatnot. I'll take the advice into consideration however.

Also I've been told of the "He needs a pure aggro skill to set him apart from the rest of the 'tanks' " and I'm working on a way of balancing it out. The current plan is to take Fortress and use it, but I'm struggling with working on the range to keep things balanced. I started with thinking 20 meters at base would be a good start, but then I worried that used in the wrong circumstance it'd just wind up going through walls and whatnot and attracting every mook and their grandmother e.e