Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Alert Afk Players

Zrazies

Actually, the game will still put you in a squad with someone who is on your ignore list. I ignored someone at one point and later in the day I was in a squad with them again. It just makes it so if they say something you cannot see it, as far as I can tell.

Also, on the flip side, I've been placed in many alerts when all the enemies have been killed or there are only one or two more that get killed before it even finishes loading on exterminate missions. Sort of lame to not get to do anything, and getting no reward and having the game eat up your ability to re-run the mission is lame too for something I have no control over. Sometimes though I get the reward because I can at least run to the extraction point, unless the game spawns me at the beginning or somewhere super far away.

Oh, and why is there even this forums section? The Twitter and RSS feeds are a much better and more complete method of getting alerts. There are even apps you can run that will notify you as soon as they come up. :P

You just gave me the idea. How about this, if you're not in extraction point by the timer of 1 minute count down, you don't get reward. That would "force" a afk player to not afk and make them run all way across the map only if they want a reard.

And yeah I have a app for warframe alert. And no I don't use twitter. I don't even like those twitter, Facebook and other whatever there is. I rather to social outside instead of sitting behind monitor and social though internet. But for video gaming to get reward and what not from them, I understand about that but I don't really follow them. That's just me.

You just gave me the idea. How about this, if you're not in extraction point by the timer of 1 minute count down, you don't get reward. That would "force" a afk player to not afk and make them run all way across the map only if they want a reard.

And yeah I have a app for warframe alert. And no I don't use twitter. I don't even like those twitter, Facebook and other whatever there is. I rather to social outside instead of sitting behind monitor and social though internet. But for video gaming to get reward and what not from them, I understand about that but I don't really follow them. That's just me.

I don't mind that, as long as the game actually spawns you nearby if it decides to dump us in at the last moment. (I'd prefer that the game doesn't matchmake with games that are almost complete as well.)

I just use the twitter alert page to get alerts as they come out. Nothing social on that page. It's just a list of alerts. https://twitter.com/WarframeAlerts

And what if you just cannot get there in time? Like two guys force extract the mission, but you are too far to get there (it can happen in Ceres survival) and you lose all rewards?

Part of the problem with name and shame is that we only get one side of the story and we can't do any kind of follow up to find out what happened. 

I find this VERY ironic, because if you don't show their name no one will ever be able to contact them. On the other hand, if you do "Name and shame" (shich they totally deserve) They will be able to give "their side of the story and you can do follow up to fin what happened."

I find this VERY ironic, because if you don't show their name no one will ever be able to contact them. On the other hand, if you do "Name and shame" (shich they totally deserve) They will be able to give "their side of the story and you can do follow up to fin what happened."

Would you contact them to get their side of the story?  Now you have people you don't know asking for information on a situation that they aren't involved in  and it then turns into a he/she said he/she said game that is pointless and drives away members.  Who wants to risk playing with a troll that will then cause a storm of PM's accusing you of being an AFK/Leech?

Besides, unless you're sitting in the room with the player, you don't know what's going on.  They might have some real world emergency going on.

Edited by Noamuth

My solution to AFK players:

>Be a Valkyr

>Pull AFK players into dangerous areas: In front of enemies, pit of fire, etc.

>Get popcorn

>Watch the fun

>????

>Profit.

that actually does nothing cause now theyre dead and afk and they can use the excuse they ran out of revives thats why they went afk

sometimes people have to use the bathroom, get the door, maybe they have kids, who knows/cares? Abort the mission or complete it and leave the lobby. How is this a big deal? When the enemies find them they die. How is this different than having a weak or voluntarily unhelpful player? Also wrong place to put this thread.  

i think there are better responses to this rather than dont name and shame.

to be honest....if they willingly and knowingly going afk...i think they should be named and shamed for the sheer fact that they are exploiting other players effort without prior notice....saying dont name and shame points the finger towards yourself either because you have clan mates that go afk or you yourself have gone afk several times and dont want to take the blame

i definitely agree with the OP because there are a ton of people that constantly afk on alerts or event missions

granted i can understand if they cannot keep up with the rest of the team in terms of damage, kills or speed....but dont just afk

the vote kick thing is a good idea but its been an idea that has been passed around for awhile.....so i highly doubt it will happen

kicking individuals after a timer for afk will not work either because they will just periodically move around to avoid the kick timer....they always find a way to exploit...

vote kicking is a better option but needs to be regulated properly

There are but there are other places where you can name and shame you know. This forum isn't one of them

Respect the owners wishes is all I can say. As much as I do it on Twitter and such this place ain't for it.

The only solution I can offer is report him for it. Maybe they can do something about it, but I don't know.

sometimes people have to use the bathroom, get the door, maybe they have kids, who knows/cares? Abort the mission or complete it and leave the lobby. How is this a big deal? When the enemies find them they die. How is this different than having a weak or voluntarily unhelpful player? Also wrong place to put this thread.  

Indeed. I do tell people I've gotta go pee; but there are situations such as spilling drink on keyboard or about to puke. Then I can't write the message telling you I've had to go afk.

Be aware people may have legitimate reasons for doing it. I've had to apologies to a group telling them I had to go brb because I started feeling sick. Can't help it ya' know. S#&$ happens.

Edited by Sutherland

If I had to AFK for a significant amount of time (which I wouldn't I would instead opt to leave the game) I would have absolutely no ill will if I was kicked because regardless of my reasons I feel that my squad has the right to pass judgement on me and if I'm not putting any effort in then I shouldn't receive the reward.

Most of the replies in this thread don't really deal with the problem at hand - AFK players. A lot of replies focus on personal views on the topic, and that's understandable, since it's a pretty hard thing to judge others' intentions to come to an objective solution, and hence, we attempt to reach a community consensus on what we should do. There's nothing wrong with developing etiquette, it's just that the problem I'm seeing here is that there's no way to tell whether AFK players are justified in leaving the computer for a while or not, and this leads to a roadblock in passing any sort of judgement on individuals. Implementing any sort of formalised system to combat the problem would - I imagine - heavily rely on player decisions on a case-by-case basis, and that's not always going to be the wisest course of action given the fact that there are always going to be people at either end of the spectrum in terms of integrity and tolerance.

So even when it's clear that the AFK player is just being a prick, having a system to deal with this which is reliant on player intervention is a system which has the potential to do more harm than good in some instances. To have three other players vote for a kick would be the best option of the sort that I can see, and it's been suggested above, yes, but even then, such a system would come with its own set of faults. (What if two or more players are AFK? What's to stop people from voting to kick someone out based on the fact that they simply don't like their style of play or some other trivial criteria like that?)

Having a system implemented to deal with this which is automated is probably even more prone to misuse and exploitation of loopholes. For example, AFK timers are easily countered by macroing or simply moving around once every 5 or so minutes, or however long it takes, and I'd imagine many other proposed automated systems with a lack of informed decision-making capabilities that only players/observers can provide would suffer from the same types of problems. The suggestion that rewards should be scaled by mission statistics is definitely one of the more promising ones IMO, but there are still a few inherent flaws to work out, mentioned above by the example of players who like to rush extermination or capture missions, or support classes such as Nyx who'll probably be invaluable in defense missions, but would - probably - deal nowhere near as much damage if they're not equipped with a Penta. The closest example I can think of to an afk-counter is the 5-wave reward screen on defense missions - peroidically checking player attention - but even then, it's not a perfect system, with its own set of problems.

So personal views on what people should/should do aside, I feel that this problem merits more thought than has been given, but I can't see a holistic solution being implemented any time soon. The problem stems from the fact that communication isn't an easy thing to practice in online gaming, and that's not something I can see with a quick fix. Until someone smarter than me comes up with a solution, I would simply encourage everyone to act mature in situations where an AFK player needs to be dealt with, and continue the mission where possible without passing judgement before they can explain their actions.

I understand if it come to this but I'm talking about a player join in for alert then didn't even move at all. Standing right at same spot when a player first join. I meant that. So come on. Obliviously this player is just afk for free rewards and doesn't even want work for it even if it only takes few minutes to earn the reward. It's not like you're going in void mission which takes more than just a few minutes to complete alert reward but of course unless it's defend mission which takes 10 waves but still no excuse to stay on same spot when a player first join and still at same spawn spot for waves after waves. Then you goes why that player doesn't even move at all?

Most of the replies in this thread don't really deal with the problem at hand - AFK players. A lot of replies focus on personal views on the topic, and that's understandable, since it's a pretty hard thing to judge others' intentions to come to an objective solution, and hence, we attempt to reach a community consensus on what we should do. There's nothing wrong with developing etiquette, it's just that the problem I'm seeing here is that there's no way to tell whether AFK players are justified in leaving the computer for a while or not, and this leads to a roadblock in passing any sort of judgement on individuals. Implementing any sort of formalised system to combat the problem would - I imagine - heavily rely on player decisions on a case-by-case basis, and that's not always going to be the wisest course of action given the fact that there are always going to be people at either end of the spectrum in terms of integrity and tolerance.

So even when it's clear that the AFK player is just being a prick, having a system to deal with this which is reliant on player intervention is a system which has the potential to do more harm than good in some instances. To have three other players vote for a kick would be the best option of the sort that I can see, and it's been suggested above, yes, but even then, such a system would come with its own set of faults. (What if two or more players are AFK? What's to stop people from voting to kick someone out based on the fact that they simply don't like their style of play or some other trivial criteria like that?)

Having a system implemented to deal with this which is automated is probably even more prone to misuse and exploitation of loopholes. For example, AFK timers are easily countered by macroing or simply moving around once every 5 or so minutes, or however long it takes, and I'd imagine many other proposed automated systems with a lack of informed decision-making capabilities that only players/observers can provide would suffer from the same types of problems. The suggestion that rewards should be scaled by mission statistics is definitely one of the more promising ones IMO, but there are still a few inherent flaws to work out, mentioned above by the example of players who like to rush extermination or capture missions, or support classes such as Nyx who'll probably be invaluable in defense missions, but would - probably - deal nowhere near as much damage if they're not equipped with a Penta. The closest example I can think of to an afk-counter is the 5-wave reward screen on defense missions - peroidically checking player attention - but even then, it's not a perfect system, with its own set of problems.

So personal views on what people should/should do aside, I feel that this problem merits more thought than has been given, but I can't see a holistic solution being implemented any time soon. The problem stems from the fact that communication isn't an easy thing to practice in online gaming, and that's not something I can see with a quick fix. Until someone smarter than me comes up with a solution, I would simply encourage everyone to act mature in situations where an AFK player needs to be dealt with, and continue the mission where possible without passing judgement before they can explain their actions.

Yes. I know there's many flaws in this that players will figure out how to beat it and still earn rewards without doing any work. I know it's not something that it will be solved that quick. Who knows maybe DE are still figuring it out or not. I don't know. But it's something that needs to be done. It's getting ridiculous right now since when a players get boring with game especially lot of farming for resources and they thought well alert is easy way to earn it so I'm going to afk anyway. It's like well if you're getting bored with the game then why play if you're tired of farming too much? We all do tired of farming. No one want to. Me myself if I get burn out from farming then I wouldn't be playing the game.

Voting kick would work but you're right about what if it's 3 players that are AFKing, that would lead to one player to abort the mission otherwise it's no point to continue the mission when extraction point would require more than 2 players to set timer to exit. I had seen 2 players AFKing in defend mission then I decided to abort the mission then go join other group.

Edited by Zrazies

^ Because Valkyr is fun.

Main note:

This section is to notify players of ongoing alerts and not to ask for one OR report alert mission behavior.

inb4 lock.

Keep in mind, I know I post ccouple of post separately instead of adding couple of quote in same post. I'm using smartphone and I couldn't do that. Anyway, I tried to that thread. I didn't come here in this website everyday and post the comments in the threads. So I wasn't sure where I'm suppose to post the thread about you know alert afk players issues. If it being moved to there then that's okay unless if I'm able to it then tell me how. If not then I'm not sure where.

Indeed. I do tell people I've gotta go pee; but there are situations such as spilling drink on keyboard or about to puke. Then I can't write the message telling you I've had to go afk.

Be aware people may have legitimate reasons for doing it. I've had to apologies to a group telling them I had to go brb because I started feeling sick. Can't help it ya' know. S#&$ happens.

we are saying the same thing. I agree with you.

But it's something that needs to be done.

I'm not saying nothing should be done, I'm just pointing out that the suggestions so far have potential, but all are nowhere near complete enough to be implemented as they are. Until then, I'm just going to simply go through the mission and abandon teamwork with the AFK players if they don't leave a reason for doing so. There's no call to pass judgement on them if we don't know their side of the story. Your speculation about other peoples' intentions without knowing why they're AFK-ing at an alert (They were waiting for a squad and didn't check back in time? They lagged out from high P2P latency and couldn't move in the mission? There are legitimate reasons for AFK behaviour through no fault of their own) illustrates perfectly the ambiguity of the problem, and the need for case-by-case reviews, which cannot be done perfectly through what I've seen in this thread.

For lack of a better option (and I'm not saying the previous suggestions are subpar in any way), a very rough idea I would suggest would be to have a combined timer-vote system, where players can vote on whether or not to kick AFK players after a certain amount of time has elapsed without action - this way, it accounts for the number of players who are AFK, and whether the rest of the players are okay with that or not, without having the problem of 2-3 people AFKing and stuffing up the voting process. Of course, macroing would be the most obvious way out, but I guess my suggestion closes two loopholes instead of just the one with either relying completely on an automated system, or relying completely on player consensus. I don't believe my suggestion would be implemented as is either, though it probably does warrant consideration if that's what you were looking for in my first post in this thread.

I'm still hoping for a way to add players to a personal blacklist that prevents you from joining games with them in it or them from joining games with you in it. 

But honestly, if I'm hosting an infested defense mission as a vauban and a hydroid or zephyr joins who is intent on spamming tenticleswarm/tornadoes or being a stupid puddle underneath my vortex every chance they get, I will go stand up in a tree/lightpost and go watch a video/browse on my laptop until they usually leave at the 5 wave mark.  Doesn't always work as some hydroid puddle players glitch enemies underneath the ground where they can fall out of the map sometimes glitching the mission permanently or until host migration :/

Hate hydroids and zephyrs on Sechura.

Edited by KnotOfMetal

I think auto-kick for a afk player is bad, since sometimes when i run sechura with my clan mates they ask me to hold a bit while they go do something(like taking care of their children, doing laundry or grabbing some food), but when it's a lazybum stranger i usually throw sh!t tons of vauban's bounce on then and watch then die.

So yeah a kick vote would be nice...

Edited by dehzittow

There are multiple ways to bypass most of these systems.

1) If player stays in spawn, auto kick -> AFK player moves to safe area outside of spawn

2) If player doesn't move after certain time, auto kick -> AFK player in a windowed session holds down "w" while watching YouTube.

3) If player receives no stats, no reward -> The stats are buggy as hell and don't work right now.

4) If player doesn't make it to extract, no reward -> Brings up the rushing issue. Note that you can be "AFK" by just rushing to spawn and camping there while the rest of the team does the work.

5) Other player kickvote -> Abused in every game I've every played with it in (Left 4 Dead, etc.).

You need to prevent ever getting hooked up with a bad player ruining your game experience.

This is why you need more of a reputation system like League of Legends, DOTA2, and other "rage inducing MOBAs". At the end of the match, everyone who was on the server at the same time as you gets to vote good/bad/neutral. After you get so many, you get placed into matches with people around the same reputation as you. You make this a 30-90 day rotating queue so you allow bad players to get back into the good squads.

Note that even this system can be abused if you are in a team with friends. There's always someone who just wants to watch the world burn and downvote everyone. But these are few and far between and if the tolerances are balanced enough, then it should work out.

My personal solution right now is that if I see an AFK player, I just leave the game and hit up another squad.

Edited by PlebbyMilliner