Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt Questions

GreatBlueOwl

Question

Volt is going to be my second frame and since I like him, I want to use him for as long as possible.

So I have some questions regarding Volt that I can't find in the wiki.

- What aura mod works best for Volt if I want to use a duration build with Speed, Electric Shield and Overload?

- How reliable is Overload in higher levels? Should I only concentrate on Speed and Electric Shield?

- Is it necessary to use Natural Talent on Volt because of Overload?

12 answers to this question

- Is it necessary to use Natural Talent on Volt because of Overload?

I wouldn't bother with it.

The amount of time it takes to cast is small to begin with and if you want it because your worried about being a sitting duck just cast it during a propelled jump or while flying through the air.

- your best bet for this build would be energy siphon, to keep your energy pool up

- I wouldnt recommend using overload that often, since the cast time is about 1 second, and then added time for you to actually get out of the animation. Throughout casting the skill, you'll be an easy target to kill, and you would be dropped instantly at higher levels. Shock, speed and electric shield are your best bets for high level gameplay. Shock is, in my opinion, his best crowd control skill, since you can spam it, and it also does not interrupt you while you are reloading. So in other words you can be in the middle of reloading the soma and still be able to cast electric shock without interrupting the reload. Electric shield is a must and speed is pretty useful to get around pretty fast.

- I tried natural talent on him before, but it wasnt worth the mod slot because it really doesnt affect his other skills besides overload. So no I wont concentrate on using nat talent.

Personally as its a power hungry frame I go with energy siphon aura

Sheild/overload/run speed are all useful, Overload is particularly good for corpus.  As for at high levels, no idea I will leave that for others to say as mine never does anything beyond invasions. in level

Natural talent, not really as its near an instant cast skill, but you are vulnerable during it, so more shields/health helps for any shots incoming before the aoe stun takes effect.

I use Volt to level short ranged weapons and its shield increases any ranged weapons maximum range, so clan tech and shotguns

I use Volt a lot (an increasing amount, too), so I'll attempt to answer/help as best as I can.

1. Volt comes with a V polarity, so you can use Steel Charge for +18 mod slots, Rifle Amp for a damage boost (nice but not the greatest), or Energy Siphon (with or without a Forma). Siphon would be "better" for builds around his abilities, but I tend to just stick with Rifle Amp for that extra umph.

2. Overload is pretty darn nice against Infested and Corpus, especially in Derelict and Corpus Ship tilesets. Away from many electronic devices, it loses a large portion of its potential damage. Because of this, and since Electric damage isn't the greatest thing against armor, it might be worth it to focus more around Electric Shield and Speed (especially for Void or Grineer). However, Overload does have a decent stun, so it can be used to buy some time or clear our smaller enemies. Due to its nature of destroying the lights it uses, the damage is only reliably devastating in areas where you progress through a map (in other words, not Defense/Interception and arguably not Survival). The stun can always be nice, though.

3. Honestly, Natural Talent is not needed at all. It can be nice for Overload and for spamming Electric Shield, but it isn't necessary.

One quick note about Overload and Shock: they both have 100% Electric proc chance. As you may know, Electric procs deal an additional 50% damage as AoE damage around the target and stuns the target. This makes these two powers (especially Overload) absolutely killer against tight groups of enemies, such as Infested.

Volt with 4-5 forma, opinions only.

- I use a similar build but focus on Shock vice Overload. I personally find Energy Siphon the best, but have used Steel Charge as well with melee focus that worked as well. When in doubt, Energy Siphon never does ya wrong.

- I personally do not like Overload at all as I play my Volt for Utility > Power/DPS. With Shock, Speed, and Shield, you do not need to build any power in allowing for more focused builds (for me).

- With Overload, I would. My buddy (who also plays a lot of Volt and uses Overload), does not. But it is an ability he uses sparingly.  

This guy plays Volt the same way as I do (the first build), that what I was about to explain.

(btw if you don't know Calypso, take a look at his others videos, most of them are great)

Ye'up, almost the same as mine as well. I personally dont use stretch, but not because it isnt good or that it doesnt work. 

So something like this? I took out Stretch from the guy's build in the video since it wasn't really worth a slot.

I can switch between Shock and Overload whenever I want. Don't know what I should put in for the last slot so I just left in Maglev.

http://goo.gl/J4Zf83

EDIT: Also, would the Grakata be a good weapon for Volt if I used Electric Shield?

Edited by GreatBlueOwl

EDIT: Also, would the Grakata be a good weapon for Volt if I used Electric Shield?

No, the grakata is basically the poor/lazy guy's Soma.

The weapons that makes the most of electric shield are those with travel time and/or range limitation or damages falloff.

So the bests are synapse, amprex, brakk but Supra, Dera and others shotgun will be buffed :)

I just figured I'd post one of my builds, I can confirm that it works on high-level content. This volt focuses on melee (and is completely weighted towards its speed ability.) I typically use an orthos prime with shimmering equipped (not a channeling build, add fury and reach, and then max dmg and elementals.)

http://goo.gl/7JES3U

Edited by Snowman486