Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Would It Be A Good Idea If Some Simple Skills Cost Stamina Instead Of Energy?

yles9056

Would it be a good idea if some simple skills cost stamina instead of energy?

By "simple skills" I mean:

-skills without CC

-skills with  very little utility

-skills mainly used to travel

-some frequently used skills(but not that powerful)

-underwhelming skills

Take Ash's skills for example:

-Shuriken: Damage only. No CC and utility.

-Teleport: Can be used to travel. It allows you to execute enemy, but only one enemy each time and finisher attack is slow.

If two of Ash's skills cost stamina instead of energy, Ash players wouldn't have to worry that much about energy so they can have more build options.

Another thing is that, many players don't want waste their energy on certain skills. By changing the cost to stamina, it would hopefully make these skills more viable because stamina regenerate pretty fast.(And probably make stamina mods more viable as well.)

The purpose of the changing is meant to:

-Encourage more players to use these skills.

-Reduce the limitation in using these skills to have more fun.

-Make warframe less rely on energy.

Here's the list simple skills(It's just my idea, feel free to discuss)   :

Ash: Shuriken, Teleport

Banshee: Sonar

Ember: Either Accelerant or Fire Blast

Excalibur: Slash Dash, Super Jump

Frost: Freeze

Loki: Switch Teleport

Mag: Bullet Attractor

Nekros: Soul Punch

Nova: Null Star

Nyx: Psychic Bolts

Oberon: Smite, Hallowed Ground and probably Renewal

Rhino: Rhino Charge, Roar

Saryn: Contagion and probably Venom.

Trinity: Well Of Life

Valkyr: Rip Line

Zephyr: Tail Wind and probably Dive Bomb.

(Edited: Sorry guys, I didn't mean these skills are bad. Just want to encourage more players to use these skills or reduce the limitation in using these skills.)

Edited by yles9056

The reasons a lot of lower cost skills aren't being used, is NOT because of the resource cost to use them, but due to mod capacity/space to equip them. I think the way to entice players to use these skills more, is to make them more interesting. I know recently they discussed adding utility of some kind to every skill that doesn't currently utility associated with it. That is a step in the right direction. I think juggling energy is far more interesting than "just wait a few seconds for my infinite resource to regen". Using skills should be a decision that compliments weapon play, not just spammed. We have enough spamming as it is, and that is WITH them costing energy. I'd rather not have my sprint and melee efficiency negatively impacted because I wanted to use one of my "basic" powers".

With the current state of mods, energy pools are already quite hefty on most frames, and energy costs are barely an issue with the efficiency mods we have available to us. Very rarely on any frame, do I find myself energy starved. Disruptors are the only thing that ever prevents me from using skills as it is. I do however, as a heavy melee player, find myself bottoming out on stamina constantly. I don't want to have to stand there doing nothing for a few moments after some combos, just so I can cast my first ability. I don't want casting an ability to prevent me from blocking.

TL;DR: Address mod capacity/space and the desirability to equip these abilities. Resource consumption isn't what keeps people from using them.

You think Excalibur's Slash Dash is underused? I don't think, granted I'm always solo, but I think Slash Dash is used mightily and it should cost energy. With Nekros, I use Soul Punch all the time, I don't think it's underused, same goes to Nova's Null Star, Nyx's Psychic Bolts, Oberon's Smite, Trinity's Well of Life, Valkyr's Ripline, and Zephyr's Tailwind and Dive Bomb.

Ash's Shuriken power isn't as bad as this thread seems to think. If you mod Ash for huge power strength and efficiency, then Shuriken can deal amazing amounts of damage in short amounts of time, not to mention it procs bleed further adding to the damage.

I just did a little number crunching, and with a halfway maxed Blind Rage and a maxed Intensify, Shuriken does a total of 3329.25 damage per projectile. This includes the bleed proc. That ain't bad at all.

Edited by Reefermun

You think Excalibur's Slash Dash is underused? I don't think, granted I'm always solo, but I think Slash Dash is used mightily and it should cost energy. With Nekros, I use Soul Punch all the time, I don't think it's underused, same goes to Nova's Null Star, Nyx's Psychic Bolts, Oberon's Smite, Trinity's Well of Life, Valkyr's Ripline, and Zephyr's Tailwind and Dive Bomb.

I respect your opinion.

Here are the reasons why I chose these skills.

-Slash Dash & Null Star:

They are great skills in mid-level. However, they start to lose effectiveness as the level goes higher due to lacking any CC or other effect.

-Soul Punch & Smite:

I use them quite often, too. But I seldom see players using them. So I figured that they probably need something to be more "appealing".

-Psychic Bolts:

I don't like Psychic Bolts to be honest. For me, the cost is high, damage is low, no special effect and the bolts hit obstacles easily.

-Well of Life & Dive Bomb:

Similar reason to Soul Punch & Smite except I don't use them.

-Ripline & Tailwind:

I didn't mean they are underused or useless. I just think it would be fun if you can cast them with less limitation(energy).

Ash's Shuriken power isn't as bad as this thread seems to think. If you mod Ash for huge power strength and efficiency, then Shuriken can deal amazing amounts of damage in short amounts of time, not to mention it procs bleed further adding to the damage.

I just did a little number crunching, and with a halfway maxed Blind Rage and a maxed Intensify, Shuriken does a total of 3329.25 damage per projectile. This includes the bleed proc. That ain't bad at all.

its bad when you compare it to your other options: weapons and bladestorm, your weapons deal more damage in less time and damage/energy is just crap compared to bladestorm.

I totally agree.

Changing the cost does not solve the problem entirely. It is meant to encourage players to use those skills.

I guess the point I was making, was that for me, it would do the opposite. It'd discourage me further from using certain skills, simply because it would slow me down to heavily in melee. As it stands energy is a non-issue for the bulk of players, having it consume stamina means less sprinting, and less combos, which would slow the game down.

I guess overall, that just doesn't hold any appeal for me, and it fails to address the reasons players aren't equipping some of these abilities to begin with.

I guess the point I was making, was that for me, it would do the opposite. It'd discourage me further from using certain skills, simply because it would slow me down to heavily in melee. As it stands energy is a non-issue for the bulk of players, having it consume stamina means less sprinting, and less combos, which would slow the game down.

I guess overall, that just doesn't hold any appeal for me, and it fails to address the reasons players aren't equipping some of these abilities to begin with.

I think I get your point. I guess my idea was not that perfect. Any way, thanks for the reply.

I think I get your point. I guess my idea was not that perfect. Any way, thanks for the reply.

Most ideas aren't. Doesn't mean it wasn't worth discussing. Anyone looking for ways to encourage use some of the less used abilities, is ok in my book. 

I see a major flaw in this change and that is power efficiency no longer matters for these abilities. People will slap on Blind Rage to spam these abilities for damage. Probably doesn't really change anything for end-game but will make the easy levels even easier.