Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt Vs Ember!

hijinks_the_turtle

Question

Heya peeps!  I've been seeing lots of conflicting comments about both of these 'frames.  I want to like both of them, but soo many comments about them being OP or UP confused me.  Yes, I could get both.. But that's for a later time.  Which one is better to get first (in terms of usefulness overall, resources, and fun (<==== kinda subjective and opinion based, but whatevs))?  Still a nub totting around a Braton so I'd really like to seek you seasoned tennos for help.

21 answers to this question

Personally, I love my accelermber build with the Ignis, and haven't played Volt in quite some time. If you can get your hands on an ignis soonish, go with Ember. Otherwise, Volt is probably better.

Edited by Rakuall

I'd go with Volt. He has a number of uses where Ember is a purely damage based frame at the moment which doesn't exactly scale well. Volt on the other hand has a number of utility and support options, including creating cover, increasing effective range and crit chance, speed boosting, and mass stuns. 

Depends on your play style.  With Ember you kind of have to get up close and personal as compared to when playing with Volt so if you prefer to hang back get Volt if you prefer to get close and use melee/shotgun then get Ember.  Both are pretty fun and are good at low-medium level while Ember will start falling behind the higher level you go.

Volt, then you can use its shield to help level all short ranged weapons, as firing through the shield uncaps the range on weapons.  Very handy for Shotguns/clan tech weapons

Seriously?  That's crazy cool. o.O

Still need an answer for this! :O  Really curious about this one. xD

This makes me wonder... What happens when you use Volt's shield thingy with an Ignis?

Volt's skills aid in a supplemental role to both gunplay and melee combat.  Inherently Volt is one of the most fluid of frames as he can literally be played to match what your arsenal is at the given moment.

By comparison Ember is more the opposite, she's better when your core setup is focused around her specialty, which is setting things on fire.  Accelerant is the key component to Ember's longterm gameplay ability as it will both up your fire damage and briefly CC targets.

I've toyed with the Embolist while using Volt and it gained infinite range when shot through his shield, so I'd assume the same would hold true for the Ignis as it operates with the same mechanics as the Embolist.  Both being elemental gas throwers.

As for which to choose, go with what matches your style.  Ember is more direct as a caster, her powers are the focus of what you're doing to actively engate your foes.  Volt's powers are used to supplement what you're doing.  Personally I'm a huge fan of Volt since he can work well with every weapon in the game.

Volt in my opinion is the most versatile, diverse and well balanced frame in the game. He has damage, defense, CC and utility all without being under-powered or overpowered.  You can max the usefulness of 1 - 2 abilities while lowering another effectiveness which is effectively called balance while still letting you create something fitting to your play style.  You can also opt to create an all around good build that is still effective for most game types and levels of play.  His first skill, Shock, does okay damage at lower levels but is a great CC even at upper levels.  His second skill, Speed, is good for getting to downed allies or for some fast melee.  His third skill, Electric Shield, is a decent defensive wall that powers up electric weapons and makes many weapons hit-scan when fired through it. (Like Brakk for example).  His fourth skill, Overload, is great for destroying lower level enemies or Corpus.  Damage fall off makes it less useful in higher tier tower or endless missions though.  His first two skills are only a base 25 energy, 3rd being 50 energy and 4th being 100 energy so he is also a very energy efficient Warframe.  One of my favorite frames tho I admit I don't play him enough.  Today will be different.

Edited by Judge_Hellboy

Volt Master race!!!!

For sure Ember is cool hot, pretty fun to deal easialy with huge low armored crowd...

But as judge say jsut before me, Volt is one of the most versatile warframe, usefull in all case.

Wanna rush -> build for speed and made all your squad run faster than light (try maxxed blind rage + intensify for a +193% speed run/attack) just for the fun, in fact a rank 5-6 blind rage+max intensify is more efficient to manage your mana pool.

Wanna deal chained massive damage -> Overload is really powerful but don't forgot the shock how is for me one of the best primary skill, the chain aspect of lighting turn it on a aoe skill, with a maxxed blind rage you one shot everything <lvl25.

Shock is really usefull to stun all ennemeis front of you in order to finish them at melee, stay alive against high level ennemis. <3

Need to revive a mate under fire/cover a point/have a safe spot in middle of a room -> Electric shield!

The offensive aspect of the electric shield shouldn't be ignore, turning every continue weapon in massive destruction weapon without any range restriction, swing and clean a full room. \o/

Especially fun/powerful with the last released Amprex. <3

If he got less armor than before, a smart use of shock to stun ennemis can turn you in a half-god.

Speed can turn all heavy weapon in a fast light one.

Speed can turn every zorencopter weapon in a supersonic reactor.

Speed help the last rhino/frost to stay in group with the nova/ash/loki runnung in front.

Speed is life.

VPS9TpX.gif

Edited by ZeGreymane

Both?  Honestly though it's a tough call.  In terms of gameplay and utility, yes...Volt is better.  The buff given to electric shield has been a boon for his survivability and damage output.  Speed is...well awesome as always.  While his 1 and 4 are there but still don't scale all that well into endgame.

Ember's 1 and 4 scale worse than Volt's 1 and 4, but Ember's 1 has a quicker recast time and her 4 greatly benefits from duration mods.  Ember's 2 is borderline useless, requiring multiple casts to do any kind of respectable damage.  But Ember's 3, although not as amazing as it was before, is by far her best skill.

But that's their difference.  Would you rather post up behind Volt's shield or run'n'gun with Ember?

Edited by (PS4)Magician_NG

A versatile build how doesn't need any forma, just a lake of resistance, got to dodge, use shock to stun ennemis, shield to protect, a smart play and you can enjoy the shock/speed/shield spam.

I personnaly enjoy build without resistance, focusing on ability to survive with a smart use of skill (skills how got 2 more slot to be buff).

Range isn't the strenth of this build but only Overload will "suffer" of that little range.

The shock's chain-effect isn't affect by range.

http://warframe-builder.com/Warframes/Builder/Volt/t_30_13001120012_3-10-5-4-3-5-5-2-5-6-7-5-12-6-6-49-8-10-55-1-5-124-0-3-125-4-3-126-5-3-127-9-3_124-2-55-6-5-9-4-9-125-4-126-5-12-6-6-11-49-16-127-7-3-18_58/en/1-0-21

But to start and see how works volt, a simple polyvalent build works pretty well :

http://warframe-builder.com/Warframes/Builder/Volt/t_30_13001120012_1-3-10-3-10-5-4-2-5-5-7-5-6-6-5-13-1-3-15-8-3-124-0-3-125-4-3-126-5-3-127-9-3_124-2-13-7-4-9-1-14-125-4-126-5-6-6-5-9-15-9-127-7-3-18_58/en/1-0-21

Edited by ZeGreymane

if you have to choose, then Volt.

I have both of them, and i think that ember is also fun, but heat damage is not that great in the void, and all she can do is heat damage. but TONS of heat damage.

On the other side, volt's damaging abilities have 100% status chance, which means that they stun enemies, so still have place in high level play. Speed is handy, you can get everywhere fast, and coptering with a scoliac while speeded up is one of my favourite things in this game :-)

But the best thing about Volt is the electric shield. Got your shield down? Press 3, and you are basically invulnerable. On defense, you can put down 3-4 shields, and have a better snowglobe. and it also boosts crit damage and range. I like sniping with my phage, and crit based weapons gain a huge boost

Both?  Honestly though it's a tough call.  In terms of gameplay and utility, yes...Volt is better.  The buff given to electric shield has been a boon for his survivability and damage output.  Speed is...well awesome as always.  While his 1 and 4 are there but still don't scale all that well into endgame.

Ember's 1 and 4 scale worse than Volt's 1 and 4, but Ember's 1 has a quicker recast time and her 4 greatly benefits from duration mods.  Ember's 2 is borderline useless, requiring multiple casts to do any kind of respectable damage.  But Ember's 3, although not as amazing as it was before, is by far her best skill.

But that's their difference.  Would you rather post up behind Volt's shield or run'n'gun with Ember?

Yea, I'm more of a defensive/stealth kind of person.  That's probably why utility/defensive frames Volt and Vauban (<=== no idea if I can ever get that guy) look more appealing to me than offensive, though not Frost... he moves like a turtle and ice isn't my thing.  Though, throwing around fireballs and stuff really sounds fun (and I love fire!).

Thanks for the builds guys!  I'll be on the look out for dem mods!