Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can We Move Away From Usual Stances

noveltyhero

With the upcoming changes to sniper weapons, that could be a good place to start animation wise. Giving something like the Lanka a real look of significant weight and force when wielded across the level, as well as when it is fired or reloaded.

With the upcoming changes to sniper weapons, that could be a good place to start animation wise. Giving something like the Lanka a real look of significant weight and force when wielded across the level, as well as when it is fired or reloaded.

Maybe increased visual kick back when fired :D

We need:

1: Weapon stances, not just melee and not just posture but for how you hold the weapon and maybe that effecting the stats accordingly.(Example: Holding it one way will make you slower=more damage or something like that)

2: Gear effecting gravity/slowing effects so that a rhino with a ogris can't charge across battlefields like a feather light rocket. 

Edited by Zarbain

hip mount...

shoulder mount...

southpaw...

between the legs...

I asked about left-handed on a devstream one time and they specifically said no, unfortunately. I'm a leftie (and left-eye dominant too), so I hate seeing every single weapon and Tenno using right, but I understand the reasoning. If they made any warframes left handed, I assume they would need to re-animate every single weapon, firing sequence, etc. I would so pay for this option, though.

With that aside, I completely agree that we need varied stances. I know they're war machines, but it would feel so much more real if you were holding a wind-up weapon like the gorgon and supra at your hip, or things like the Boar and Sobek. I also can't think of a reason you would need to eye-level aim the Ignis either, lol.

It's something I would love to see and expect they may implement, in time, though I know the animators are always working hard on critical animations at the moment.

I asked about left-handed on a devstream one time and they specifically said no, unfortunately. I'm a leftie (and left-eye dominant too), so I hate seeing every single weapon and Tenno using right, but I understand the reasoning. If they made any warframes left handed, I assume they would need to re-animate every single weapon, firing sequence, etc. I would so pay for this option, though.

With that aside, I completely agree that we need varied stances. I know they're war machines, but it would feel so much more real if you were holding a wind-up weapon like the gorgon and supra at your hip, or things like the Boar and Sobek. I also can't think of a reason you would need to eye-level aim the Ignis either, lol.

It's something I would love to see and expect they may implement, in time, though I know the animators are always working hard on critical animations at the moment.

God I feel your pain, although I am fully dominant on my right side I had to play CS 1.6 with left handed settings...painful stuff >,>

They must create an option to mirror the game image. Some videodrivers give you an ability to invert the image.

They must create an option to mirror the game image. Some videodrivers give you an ability to invert the image.

Ah, I honestly know nothing about animation process or creation. I just assume not many games offer hand switching because it requires a load of extra work. What I do know, though, is it would actually help with gameplay. if you had 2 tenno using right and 2 using left, you all wouldn't run down the same side of a corridor or all move around the same corner of a container just to get the best view from the shoulder-cam. I know you can swap shoulder view, but it just changed the view, not the shot trajectory. You'll just fire into a wall instead of firing around it.

Ah, I honestly know nothing about animation process or creation. I just assume not many games offer hand switching because it requires a load of extra work. What I do know, though, is it would actually help with gameplay. if you had 2 tenno using right and 2 using left, you all wouldn't run down the same side of a corridor or all move around the same corner of a container just to get the best view from the shoulder-cam. I know you can swap shoulder view, but it just changed the view, not the shot trajectory. You'll just fire into a wall instead of firing around it.

You can swap views, on PC it is H by default. However your character does not swap weapons so I guess that's where it gets slightly more difficult. The only thing that needs to be added for them to switch weapons is a simple new animation  where the socket of weapon being attached moves along with the skeleton of the frame.

The games that have this (FPS) have it because these changes occur only on your screen so the server's processing is not affected, on the exterior your character holds weapon the same way but in your view the rig is modified. They can add this in Warframe easily just as long as it is not hogging any host's processing, it is already bad enough

The weight of the weapons should also be noticeable. Let's say you are carrying a big @$$ rocketlauncher or chaingun, then you shoudl obviously run slower and you shouldn't be able to make any kind of stunts anymore. 

This is per weapon specific only, I am focusing on visual stances here. I agree however and we should get some mini guns that are super heavy and slow you down unless sheathed (it is still a ninja game after all). It would be nice to have that kind of balance on some weapons though, so other parts do not need to be affected as the fact that it immobilizes you is a big threat to many frames.

+1

Guns for which the default animations look strange:

Gorgon (left-hand isn't far enough forward, looks unbalanced)

Mutalist Quanta (all that spinning would be hard to control)

Boar/Prime (wrist)

Acrid (too long)

Angstrum (also too long)

Marelok (weird to do the spin animation while aiming; when aiming, cocking should be like the Grinlock's animation set)

Stug (again, too long)

Brakk/Seer/Ballistica/Detron/Spectra/Kraken/Cestra/Bronco (There's nothing really wrong with the way these guns are held, but they are all very forward heavy and it would be nice to see them handled differently [especially with Loki; Stug + Noble])

Bows (some Frames hold bows really weird, depending on noble/agile stance)

It's not a lot. Most of the other weapons were designed around not having to screw with hand placement too much, so that even the Ogris looks fine most of the time.

It would be a lot of work, though, They'd have to create new animations for each weapon (that needs it), for each stance, for each Warframe. Or they could not, It's hard to look noble/agile, while hefting a gun on your shoulder. These guns could have a stance which overrides the Warframe stance. Price of power?

Edited by Go4tfi5h

+1

-snip-

It would be a lot of work, though, They'd have to create new animations for each weapon (that needs it), for each stance, for each Warframe. Or they could not, It's hard to look noble/agile, while hefting a gun on your shoulder. These guns could have a stance which overrides the Warframe stance. Price of power?

Erm no I don't think they would. All that needs to be added is a new animation for the skeleton as all frames share the same skeleton when it comes to animation, hence why the custom idle animations are available for all of them.

All that needs to happen is some new sockets and animations and they are done, what would differ is weapon design but not in a bad way necessarily because with this new way they can be far more creative and not be limited in size or shape as much.