Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Remove Post Counter And Reputation

Zareek

One solution would be to leave the upvote button in place but remove the count's visibility from anyone not at a moderator or above level. That way, you can still upvote revelant posts and the moderators and devs still can find the most revelant posts but checking their upvotes. It would also let people vote on what content they find revelant and not just vote on something that already has a lot of votes just because it has a lot of votes.

An interesting idea and definitely something to think on. I've always felt that the upvote system was more there for developers to quickly check on something if they are in a rush anyway.

(and that it is enough of a problem to apply a countermeasure)

In my opinion it got quite worse since that time, but there is also the fact that the people's attitude changed too (the internet...)

- the most important part. is it enough of a problem to butcher the forums for it? i vote nay.

- oh, it certainly has gotten worse then, but even before there was direct replies and le upvoting, people were acting the same, even though there was no 'incentive' to. 

so butchering the forums doesn't help the problem at all, only makes giving feedback more difficult.

One solution would be to leave the upvote button in place but remove the count's visibility from anyone not at a moderator or above level. That way, you can still upvote revelant posts and the moderators and devs still can find the most revelant posts but checking their upvotes. It would also let people vote on what content they find revelant and not just vote on something that already has a lot of votes just because it has a lot of votes.

If anything then, I'd say hide other users's post counts from threads and keep your own visible; if anyone really must be critical of someone's post count as a measure to gauge if another user's posts are valid, then they'd need to visit their profile... which in turn is quite petty if that's the only kind of reply you find worthwhile to answer with.

- completely hidden, idunno. i'd rather atleast have how many digits the upvotes are at publically shown. i'll read threads that have really good ideas sometimes, and i wonder what other people think of it, and it it's got a few hundred upvotes, i can safely assume that everyone approves of the post in general. so even if i don't know exactly how many, i could have an idea of the general approval of a post, i guess.

- i guess we could hide Post count from threads and leave it on profile, but i don't really see the difference, just an extra click. 

as mokkania pointed out, measures should only be taken after deciding the problem is worse than the negative impact the changes will have on the forums in terms of constructive feedback and accessibility.