Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Smoothness At 60Fps

Decebalvs

Hi

Did anyone noticed that 60fps doesn't really feel like 60?

Is it because of not "sufficient" post-processing or why?

BF3/4, Crysis 2/3 and other games feel smoother at less fps.

No offense to the dev team, just throwing this out in case i'm doing something wrong or..i don't know..

Edited by Decebalvs

60FPS feels just like any other 60FPS game to me.

Perhaps it's something wrong on your end, where the framerate keeps jittering between 60FPS and something in the hundreds (causing the screen to magically become laggy-looking for no discernible reason)? That happened to me with several maps in Portal 2 last night; putting an FPS cap on the program fixed the issue.

Or maybe it's just an in-game effect whose "framerate" is capped at a very low number? For example, the textures for flames (burning tiles, burning enemies, melee weapon effects, etc) are incredibly choppy, and no amount of tweaking the game's settings is going to fix that.

60FPS feels just like any other 60FPS game to me.

Perhaps it's something wrong on your end, where the framerate keeps jittering between 60FPS and something in the hundreds (causing the screen to magically become laggy-looking for no discernible reason)? That happened to me with several maps in Portal 2 last night; putting an FPS cap on the program fixed the issue.

Or maybe it's just an in-game effect whose "framerate" is capped at a very low number? For example, the textures for flames (burning tiles, burning enemies, melee weapon effects, etc) are incredibly choppy, and no amount of tweaking the game's settings is going to fix that.

i have vsync on and it stays at 59.94 all times, it drops about 10fps for no reason from time to time, for 1-2 seconds but overall stays solid 95% of the times.

btw, even when i turn vsync off, goes to 100+ and still the same "feeling"...

Edited by Decebalvs

MY two cents,

I cap the game at 30 fps cuz my processor likes to overheat.  Massive input lag >.> at that setting. Removing cap while keeping the pre-rendered frames at 1 it's smooth as butter. Perhaps one day I can experience full 60 fps all the time lol

• 2 weeks later...

I have Vsync off and always do and I believe I get over 100+ FPS and see no problems and no OS's don't limit FPS at all and never have.

I'm on a 26" HDTV btw hooked up via HDMI.

Edited by ShaunV1

So many people come here and completely miss the point of the thread.

I too have noticed since the update that at 60fps there is 'stuttering'. The actual fps doesn't change, but it looks/feels stutttery. No idea why. Pre-update there were no fps problems.

Hi

Did anyone noticed that 60fps doesn't really feel like 60?

Is it because of not "sufficient" post-processing or why?

BF3/4, Crysis 2/3 and other games feel smoother at less fps.

No offense to the dev team, just throwing this out in case i'm doing something wrong or..i don't know..

Warframe has some sort of mouse acceleration. If you move your mouse, the cursor will accelerate to whatever speed rather than immediately follow your input. Other games will reduce this, but it impacts performance.

If you want to remove this, go into your drivers and force an FPS ABOVE 60. I have mine set to 73.

Many games have mouse acceleration. Most FPS's wont (BF and Crysis as you say). Fallout 3 has *imo* some of the most offensive mouse acceleration in gaming. the screen will trail about half a second behind your input regardless of your frame-rate.

As i say, setting an FPS limit above your displays refresh should get rid of the input lag (it's a pseudo workaround until DE implement their own slider)

The game starts feeling smooth to me after 100fps, around 120 fps is great and I'm only on a 60Hz screen. I did have issues on this PC where Windows 8 limits me to 59.94Hz and Windows 7 at 60Hz.

It's not windows that forces the limit, your monitor will tell windows what it's refresh is, and windows will display that.

Frame rates higher than your monitors refresh will be lost as the thing can't physically display any more images to the screen in that time frame.

What you're noticing is merely placebo. unless you have a 120hz monitor, you're actually playing at 60fps.

ie, whatever frame the GPU renders when the screen calls for a new image every 16.6ms(assuming 60fps) is the frame that will be displayed. Any frame before, or after that wont go anywhere until the monitor accepts a new image in another 16.6ms.

I too have noticed since the update that at 60fps there is 'stuttering'. The actual fps doesn't change, but it looks/feels stutttery. No idea why. Pre-update there were no fps problems.

Framerates may be fine, however, the code is probably unoptimized, so frame-time is probably suffering.

You could say, that while you still have 60fps (16,6ms render time) there are frames within that period that have not taken 16.6ms to render, and instead took 30ms (for example)...that's not quite accurate, but hey, it's the best i got :)

Uhh, this thread started before U14, so the 'smoothness' described in this thread is not the stuttering problem (which is truly happened) from the U14. The OP only felt that WF's 60 FPS isn't exactly like a 60 FPS game would do, the FPS drop is another problem altogether.