Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Is There So Much Oberon Hate?

(PSN)Joshuaalt

Hallowed Ground's tick frequency is not affected by stats. Meaning reduced duration makes it do less overall damage (Damage per tick is not affected by duration)

Renewal has inverse scaling, making it do the healing in larger ticks and less duration the more Power Duration you have (As such, negative power duration will make it last LONGER and as a result heal LESS damage per tick)

Ticks hit every half second, and this is not affected by any stat. Sadly.

Ah, I see, thanks for clearing that up.

The reason why we're saying he's bad is because he doesn't bring anything to the table other frames can't do better. There's really no reason to use him once you get other frames. In essence he's a direct upgrade to excalibur: ok at everything, but good at nothing

It's ok OP. Everyone hates because they don't know why he's good.

@vaugahn Of course he's not good at everything. He can't have healing skills like Trinity and he can't have Reckoning be like Rhino's Stomp. If he got those buffs, no one would use Rhino or Trinity (unless by personal preference). 

Point is, he's not bad, but he's not GREAT (he's good at everything, but not great) at everything. Rhino is useful for Rhino Stomp, and that's pretty much it (who uses Rhino Charge or Roar?). Trinity is for OMGGODMODEPRESS4, and that's it (who uses Well of Life and Energy Vampire?). 

Edited by ikillyou8196

The reason why we're saying he's bad is because he doesn't bring anything to the table other frames can't do better. There's really no reason to use him once you get other frames. In essence he's a direct upgrade to excalibur: ok at everything, but good at nothing

I think this is the essence of the problem.

You're looking at it backwards.

Oberon doesn't do anything other frames can't do better, but how many other frames can do all of them at once? He's really the only jack-of-all-trades frame we have at the moment. Area denial, capable of healing everyone on the team instead of just himself, decent offensive ultimate that generates health orbs and acts as crowd control against anything it doesn't kill (including the Grustrag Three, surprisingly, it'll knock them down as much as anything else and they're weak against radiation). His only major weaknesses are the relatively low strength of Hallowed Ground and his average stamina, which makes him slightly less effective at blocking for long periods.

Oberon doesn't do anything other frames can't do better, but how many other frames can do all of them at once? He's really the only jack-of-all-trades frame we have at the moment.

Rhino is also a jack-of-all-trades frame.

Mobility enhancer? Check, though outclassed by other more dedicated frames (Excalibro, Valkyr and Zephyr + copter can match or outperform)

Defence boost? Check, though outclassed by other more dedicated frames (Valkyr and Trinity - Who can also increase defence of the entire team)

Team damage boost? Check, though outclassed by other more dedicated frames (Banshee and to a point Saryn)

AoE damage? Check, though outclassed by other more dedicated frames (Saryn, Oberon, Frost, Nova, Ember, Ash etc)

AoE CC? Check, though outclassed by a dedicated frame and rivalled by more frames (Vauban - With Oberon, Excalibro and Loki rivalling him be it via spamability or effectiveness)

It's interesting how some jack-of-all-trades frames can be considered OP for being able to do so much (Rhino) while others are considered garbage tier by so many (Oberon, to an extent Excalibro) for the reasoning that they're beaten by other more specialized frames at each of the roles they can perform...

Oberon is good in the sense that he fills multiple roles at a time, allowing versatile coverage in a single frame. He can pick up the slack of the specialized frames AND assist them in their strengths. He's also thematically consistent - The Paladin frame, hybrid of healing and harming, he does that. He may not combine the healing of Trinity and the damage of Nova but he doesn't need to, because he brings BOTH of them to the team rather than one or the other.

to everyone, who doesn't understand why other players hate the all-rounder frames:

this is a game where 4 players are playing together! so if you say, that oberon is good, because only specialized frames are doing his job better, and "you just told 6 frames, ofc 6 frames are better at everything than my obby", imagine the following situaton:

you are in a lobby, preparing for a T4 mission. there is already a trinity, and a nova. at this point, picking oberon adds NOTHING to the team.

if you want more CC than the mprime slow, bringing a nyx with chaos or a blind excal, but no oberon/rhino

if it is defense, you should probably bring a frost/volt to shield the objective

or if it is a survival, bring a frame with invisibility / valkyr to activate the capsules, or bring nekros, so you have more support drops and loot

if it is an endless mission, you probably want to have a disarm loki

do you see now? yes, he might be good at solo-ing at doing everyone's job at the same time, and each frame is ok at mid levels. but you'd better not bring oberon in my team to a T4, because i'll activate the laser trap on you, and let you die there, because that frame is useless in that situation anyway (just joking, i'm not that evil at all)

I personally love Oberon. His Reckoning ability paired up with intensify and a enemy sense is extremely deadly and Renewal is a great way to heal yourself and teammates. I have only FORMAED 2 frames being my starter frame, Loki (added 2 tactical slots) and Oberon, because I wanted to add a Equilibrium to my main Oberon Build.

So what is it about Oberon that drives you to not like the frame?

ppl dont like Oberon because he doesnt satisfy any instant gratifcation fetishes; he doesnt mesh well with all of the impatient hyperactive players that we have running around today. Those of us with patience however like Oberon just fine.

if you are a rusher you wont like Oberon. If you despise rushers then you will enjoy Oberon just fine. And last but certainly not least... Oberon doesnt "help" the MANY players that run around with only a Redirection mod equipped for protection. He is a force multiplier for those of us who tank their frames properly, not for the 1 modders.

you are in a lobby, preparing for a T4 mission. there is already a trinity, and a nova. at this point, picking oberon adds NOTHING to the team.

By your logic, so does even specialized frames like another Nova and Trinity, Ember, Volt, Hydroid, Mag, Saryn, Zephyr etc.

Oberon might not heal as well as Trinity - But he can help assist her. Especially if said Trinity on your team isn't using minimum duration Blessing so there's significant time between full heals.

He might not damage as well as Nova but he helps her, he weakens targets with his #4 when they're not getting one shot by the detonations, he can trigger multiple detonations even when enemies aren't clumped up together. She effectively increases his damage output by 100% making him more likely to spawn health orbs with his #4.

Not to mention the CC he provides in the meantime - CC that makes Trinities life easier by stopping targets from attacking a low health person long enough for her to react and use Blessing (What with how quickly Reckoning lifts things, it's very useful as an "Oh Shi-" button)

The same CC allows Nova to get into position for optimal Molecular Primes and also buys her time while the bubble extends to maximum range (If timed right, it can buy time and then slam everything into the ground once it hits max range, thus instantly detonating it)

That is unless you only want specialized people in your teams... That means:

Trinity (For the healing), Nova (For the damage), Vauban (For the control), Loki (For the disarm, allowing more effective control - Also more easily obtained perma-invis)

Everything other than that specific setup, is gimping themselves because each one of those frames is the most effective at what they do.

I really don't think anybody hates Oberon, they just neglect him because everything he tries to do another frame can do better. He servers as a middle-ground, really. He is part damage, part healing, master of neither. . . Problem is that his damaging skills are really so redundant there's no point using them besides reckoning, and his heal is too slow to actually heal someone who really needs it. 

He's a cool frame though, nothing really wrong with him besides what other people have already mentioned.

You can perform just as well as other frames if your gunplay is up to scratch, perhaps even better. 

Vauban and Rhino have better CC

Rhino does NOT have better CC than Excalibur... Just sayin'. 

Edited by TwiceDead

Loki is trash?

Excalibur mediocre?

lol nothing you both say is credible now (directed at first 2 posts)

It is a universal rule in this game if you don't know how to use a frame/weapon correctly, it is automatically trash.

Rhino does NOT have better CC than Excalibur... Just sayin'. 

The fact is most so called "late game" Rhino build which revolves plugging their pooper with Iron Skin, contributes NOTHING to the tile set (ability-wise) other than for the single purpose of keeping themselves from dying. There is a reason why at later stages of Survivals they drop like flies and became a huge dead weight since now they can't keep the Iron Skin up and it gets taken out in 2 shots, compounded with the blind rage build where energy became and issue so you can forget about using the Stomp at all.

Edited by (PS4)RocketPunch1221

To start on a personal note;  The reason I in particular don't like Oberon is because he's an inflexible frame.  His skills do not actively synergize with one another, nor do they synergize efficiently with gunplay or melee.  I wouldn't call him trash however, but his kit doesn't really promote an interesting gameplay style.  Same reason I don't enjoy playing Rhino or Ash as well.

Anyways as a general rule of thumb which is how anything in particular garners community hate;  Oberon falls into the "jack of all trades" suit as well as falling into the "no CC" suit.  He's a very straightforward frame, however unlike the other fairly straightforward frames (Rhino, Ash, Excalibur) he doesn't shine in any particular area.  If you want to play Oberon well you have literally one specific style you need to roll with and pretty much no other option on the matter.

On the whole, despite what it may seem, most players do not enjoy "jack of all trades" unless they lean on the tanky side of that niche.  The only reason I still have Oberon is because I never get rid of anything, and I still hope that maybe someday his kit won't be so mind numbingly droll and lacking in diversity and synergy.

The fact is most so called "late game" Rhino build which revolves plugging their pooper with Iron Skin, contributes NOTHING to the tile set (ability-wise) other than for the single purpose of keeping themselves from dying. There is a reason why at later stages of Survivals they drop like flies and became a huge dead weight since now they can't keep the Iron Skin up and it gets taken out in 2 shots, compounded with the blind rage build where energy became and issue so you can forget about using the Stomp at all.

Well... Okay? 

I admit I am a little confused here, why are you telling me this?