Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Shotguns Should Not Have Damage Dropoff.

TheDandyLion

But shotguns won't dominate on all ranges because they still spread out a lot. That is what will balance those out.

If Hek is still accurate then so be it. It has 4 shots and had to be reloaded a lot. It was also the only shotgun to have a tight spray. This would only make Shotguns more viable later on.

Pistols does not fire a Rifle bullet. They don't use Rifle ammo but pistol ammo. Pistols in real life has a bigger drop rate for bullets due to the small amount of gunpowder that is used in them. But pistols are 100% effective on all ranges in Warframe.

I saui "rifled" not "rifle", gees, google the damn term.

Still beside the point:

DE wanted to make the shotguns less powerful. Voila, less powerful shotguns.

If you all want "more" powerful shotguns, stop dealing with semantics about what a damn shotgun is and produce actual numbers and situations that will keep a shotgun fairly balanced and usable in certain situations.

I find them fine as they are.

Edited by DSpite

Melee 2.0 is here...

No need to use ammo to shoot enemies at melee range...

No need to waste primary slot to shoot enemies only at melee range...

Dual Ichor wrecks any shotgun

(at least for now)

Except that melee range and shotgun range are completely different.

Edited by Flackenstien

I feels that a fix to shotgun is a must.

but removing fall-off damage means the problem will remains... that shotgun' damage is weak.

from what i see, let fall-off damage remains but in exchange for such nerd DE should buff shotgun base critical rate/damage which will overshadow the fall-off.

I saui "rifled" not "rifle", gees, google the damn term.

Still beside the point:

DE wanted to make the shotguns less powerful. Voila, less powerful shotguns.

If you all want "more" powerful shotguns, stop dealing with semantics about what a damn shotgun is and produce actual numbers and situations that will keep a shotgun fairly balanced and usable in certain situations.

I find them fine as they are.

It's easy to see how they will be balanced on range.

Less damage per pellet than a single bullet  = Bigger spread = Less shots hitting at range = BALANCED

Captain Obvious to the rescue!

I'm cool with dmg drop off, but it needs innate punch through up to the furthest range of the maximum dmg along with a slight increase of max dmg range.They all need a boost in status and an increase in crit rate based on the min to max range of dmg.

Max dmg should be no shorter than a rhino charge.

If the reload is still going to be long with many of the shotguns, I would like them to be loaded pellet by pellet and we can interrupt the reloading to fire shots (only for the small clip shotties like the strun and hek).

I have no problem with shotguns having fall off damage. They're CQB weapons, they do more damage the closer you get to an enemy.

That should be by virtue of more of the pellets striking the enemy, not that those pellets go from lethal projectile to cotton ball as they travel.

Falloff should be removed. Their damage should become substantially higher, but at the cost of higher spread.

As they are now, shotguns are rifles which fire 4 or 5 shots at once and have disappointing stats otherwise, to the point that using a shotgun other than Boar Prime (still rare) or Phage (yawn) is consciously limiting yourself for the sake of it.

Shotguns should have tremendous killing power at close range with judicious accuracy, and lose effect at range only by the spread. Think Gears of War.

They need this kind of beneficial treatment because even then they'll fail to compare to rifles and machine guns. Soma or Boltor Prime can just pour it on a crowd and kill 10, 20, 30 enemies before reloading. Even with Seeking Force, a shotgun can't do that. Getting more than one kill per shot with a shotgun is uncommon, and shotguns are also burdened by frequent and lengthy reloads, which imposes even more upon the player's accuracy. This extra effort should be well rewarded, but it just isn't with the current model.

I don't mind fall off being around, else I would be sniping stuffs to clear the path for me using Boar, which I accepted to be a weakness I must deal with if I want to use it.

the penalty could be reduced a little so that the damage stops falling when it reaches 25% or 33% of its normal damage.

I'm more annoyed that a rifle can nearly perform as well as a shotgun at point-blank though because it nearly has as much stat as a shotgun while also having more % on their mods with shotgun having advantages on certain mods like Hell's Chamber and Blaze.The only advantage I can really see atm is the status proc chance which allows me to reliably guarantee a panic fire or a corrosive armor reduction proc on every hit on the target I'm trying to kill.

It's either Boltor Prime that needs its damage nerf or Point-blank to go up to rank 10.

On a side note, is anyone ever finding that they are TOO close to hit with shotguns? This sounds dumb, but after spamming radial disarm and having everything run at me, I find that I need to run backwards to maintain a bit of distance or else my shots appear behind then and actually can't hit them. The way I see it, if I stuck my gun through their chest cavity, that is reason enough for them to be dead already. This could probably be fixed by adjusting hitboxes to start behind the weapons.

Seele, on 12 Jul 2014 - 1:04 PM, said:Seele, on 12 Jul 2014 - 1:04 PM, said:

That should be by virtue of more of the pellets striking the enemy, not that those pellets go from lethal projectile to cotton ball as they travel.

Falloff should be removed. Their damage should become substantially higher, but at the cost of higher spread.

As they are now, shotguns are rifles which fire 4 or 5 shots at once and have disappointing stats otherwise, to the point that using a shotgun other than Boar Prime (still rare) or Phage (yawn) is consciously limiting yourself for the sake of it.

Shotguns should have tremendous killing power at close range with judicious accuracy, and lose effect at range only by the spread. Think Gears of War.

They need this kind of beneficial treatment because even then they'll fail to compare to rifles and machine guns. Soma or Boltor Prime can just pour it on a crowd and kill 10, 20, 30 enemies before reloading. Even with Seeking Force, a shotgun can't do that. Getting more than one kill per shot with a shotgun is uncommon, and shotguns are also burdened by frequent and lengthy reloads, which imposes even more upon the player's accuracy. This extra effort should be well rewarded, but it just isn't with the current model.

Ya that's great an all, but like I said, falloff damage doesn't really bother me. I use a shred mod, so I'm making the most of each shot regardless, and staying close to enemies does wonders with a shred mod.

Edited by __Kanade__

On a side note, is anyone ever finding that they are TOO close to hit with shotguns? This sounds dumb, but after spamming radial disarm and having everything run at me, I find that I need to run backwards to maintain a bit of distance or else my shots appear behind then and actually can't hit them. The way I see it, if I stuck my gun through their chest cavity, that is reason enough for them to be dead already. This could probably be fixed by adjusting hitboxes to start behind the weapons.

ah there's that too, it might be related to the game being third person maybe, there are shotguns where the lenghth of the weapon do that, it's really bothersome actually.

Ya that's great an all, but like I said, falloff damage doesn't really bother me. I use a shred mod, so I'm making the most of each shot regardless, and staying close to enemies does wonders with a shred mod.

It isn't about if it bothers you or not. Shotguns being as they are doesn't bother the vast majority of the playerbase because they simply don't use them.

It's about balance.

Rifles are also afforded the punch-through mechanic, and with a nightmare mod as well at that, so they can add DPS simultaneously. A magazine of a Hek quite simply cannot do what a magazine of a Soma or Boltor Prime can do, nor can a single shot of a Hek do what a quarter of either rifle's magazine can. This is why shotguns aren't taken seriously.

This could probably be fixed by adjusting hitboxes to start behind the weapons.

That's exactly what Gears of War did, the bullets technically originated from the camera, not the weapon model. Eliminated the "too-close-to-shotgun-you" dilemma at the cost of some strange looking shooting-forward-and-killing-the-guy-behind-you scenarios.

Damage falloff was introduced to prevent sniping with shotguns.

Now that we have a grenade launcher, a pistol that shoots rockets, white goop launcher, tentacle rave gun and a rifle that shoots floating orbs of infestation, is there any reason not to have a sniper shotgun?

Besides, what's the point of tight spread if I can't make use of it?

• 4 months later...

Damage falloff was introduced to prevent sniping with shotguns.

Now that we have a grenade launcher, a pistol that shoots rockets, white goop launcher, tentacle rave gun and a rifle that shoots floating orbs of infestation, is there any reason not to have a sniper shotgun?

Besides, what's the point of tight spread if I can't make use of it?

and now with the Hek - having a  augment mod  it's time