Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Will Amd Users Ever Get To Use Physx?

aleco247

Hey...  business is business...  Proprietary/Intellectual property is really all any tech company has going for it.  I mean no one is going to spend years of research and develop time and money, then give it all away for free.  no?

that isn't 100%% true look at what Tesla just did with everything the R&D'd for those cars. All the computer and battery technology is free to everyone now. and they spent alot of money developing the software to make that S#&$ work.

You're talking about the PhysX APEX particle/turbulence effects. The core PhysX middleware package runs fine on everything (see Borderands 2 as an example). Specifically, the advanced effects (the stuff that most people call "PhysX") is a codebase that is written in CUDA. CUDA pre-dates OpenCL.

I wouldn't be surprised if nVidia compiles an OpenCL codebase for PhysX in the future as the tools mature. This may be what the PS4, XBox One versions are in reality. It's not necessarily as streamlined. I don't know the details of it.

One of the previous posters mentioned Borderlands 2 as well. In that game, you could enable all the pretty effects on the CPU if you wanted. And simple things like cloth blowing in the wind or water effects CRUSHED the framerate. I went from ~90fps on a Crossfire system down to ~30fps with "Medium settings" and then to ~14fps with "High Settings" from only the PhysX particle effects enabled. The amount of computations needed are huge and modern CPUs are just not specialized enough to handle it efficiently.

that isn't 100%% true look at what Tesla just did with everything the R&D'd for those cars. All the computer and battery technology is free to everyone now. and they spent alot of money developing the software to make that S#&$ work.

No. They just verbally said they wouldn't sue over patent infringement. They are trying to push the EV market to drive sales.

It's more of a PR stunt than anything else.

nVidia already has over 50% of the dedicated GPU market (see Steam's hardware survey) already. They don't need to jump start the market. Conversely, there is generally nothing preventing AMD from licensing CUDA and PhysX hardware acceleration. Obviously they don't want to be controlled by a competitor.

You're talking about the PhysX APEX particle/turbulence effects. The core PhysX middleware package runs fine on everything (see Borderands 2 as an example). Specifically, the advanced effects (the stuff that most people call "PhysX") is a codebase that is written in CUDA. CUDA pre-dates OpenCL.

I wouldn't be surprised if nVidia compiles an OpenCL codebase for PhysX in the future as the tools mature. This may be what the PS4, XBox One versions are in reality. It's not necessarily as streamlined. I don't know the details of it.

One of the previous posters mentioned Borderlands 2 as well. In that game, you could enable all the pretty effects on the CPU if you wanted. And simple things like cloth blowing in the wind or water effects CRUSHED the framerate. I went from ~90fps on a Crossfire system down to ~30fps with "Medium settings" and then to ~14fps with "High Settings" from only the PhysX particle effects enabled. The amount of computations needed are huge and modern CPUs are just not specialized enough to handle it efficiently.

I was thinking about opencl for particles.I doubt they would ever do that though.

AMD and Intel users can easily run Physx in games if the developers allow it. DE refuses to do so

Sigh ... this is false in the context of his question. Let's break it down.

Warframe already uses the CPU library for Physx on all systems for all physics in game.

What OP is referring to, and what many people think "physx" IS is the Apex Particle simulation, particularly the turbulence effects. Which is just one module of physx. This particular module is only written for CUDA, not CPU. Since AMD GPUs don't use the CUDA API, they can't run it. Since that module isn't written for for CPU, no one can just simply 'enable' it. It would require porting by Nvidia first. Which is an investment they obviously aren't willing to make.

Sigh, I really wish people would read up on what Physx is and isn't before they start making assumptions.

Well DE is absolutely into that shady business aswell then.

How is it shady? Shady implies that there's an aspect of their practices that we don't know about.

Them having a chokehold on their IP isn't shady, it's common business practice.

Edited by Corvid

How is it shady? Shady implies that there's an aspect of their practices that we don't know about.

Them having a chokehold on their IP isn't shady, it's common business practice.

I just highlighted the bullS#&$ of the guy I quoted.