Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Soo, Why Not Make Powers Moddable?

Psychotoxin

The concept is ok, but prehaps mods arent the way to go on this as you would need mods that are quite generic to all powers to actually make it worth while (much like we have now). 

Small tech trees (or mode settings) on the otherhand for this kind of thing can work better (than additional mods) as they be tailored to the individual power itself rather than the generic aspects trying to be shoehorned into powers that simply are nothing alike (eg Volt's Shock compared to Zeypher's Tail Wind).  Sure it means alot more work but it adds that bit more flexability to have different designs for the same frames.

Different powers for frames (be they generic to all frames, shared between select frames or unique to a single one) could also be of use to customise warframes that bit more as well.

Hopefully the Focus system will also add to this diversity between the different players using the same frame as well.

All in all though this is something I wouldnt expect to see for a while down the track until DE have hit the maximum number of warframes they want to add.

-snip-

Well i don`t mean them to be locked to a slot (eg. skill number 1). Zephyr`s Tail Wind is more of a utility (although it does damage), and Volt`s shock is more attack (although it stuns the opponent sometimes). From this we see these skills are in 2 different groups.

What i thought was that skills are grouped into: Utility; Attack; Support; Heal/Restore, Defense and CC. Each of these groups have 3-4 ability mods, that each offer something different.

I could list what skill i put where, but i`ll just give a small example:

Utility: Anything that helps move around easier, or gives situational benefts - Tail Wind; Rip Line; Mind control; Bounce etc.

Attack: Anything that does primarily damage - Slash Dash; Fireball; Shuriken, Vortex, etc.

Support: Anything that helps you kill stuff better - Roar; Warcry; M-Prime, etc.

Heal/Restore: Anything that heals/restores (d`uh) - Well of life, Energy Vamp, Renewal, etc.

Defense: Anything that takes damage for you - Snowglobe; Energy Shield; Absorb; Iron Skin, etc.

CC: Anything that makes the enemy less of a dodgy bastard - Chaos; Bastille; Tornado; Radial Blind, etc.

So the ability mods would be grouped by these categories, and respectively influence only the skills in the category.

You kill the boss, and you get the mod. Always. Every time.

I'm pretty neutral about everything in the first post, but there needs to be more of this, like a lot more of it.

Yea, bosses need to be hard as crap to beat, but they need to garauntee a good reward when you do finally win. That way a victory always feels like a victory, rather than the hollow, dissapointed completion that RNG gives to players.

Edited by (PS4)MoriartyHaaaiii

Powers are already moddable, except each mod affects all the power installed (if they are affected by a the mods effect at all)

What we need is more different mods, especially to boost fixed damage powers. 

And in-game information how powers work. You cant know w/o wiki if you need duration or power or range for some of the abilities.

Edited by Monolake

If warframe powers are mandatory and doesn't cost mod slot. Then giving each power to have 2  sub slot so our power mods only affect a specific power. Then you can mod a specific power while keeping other the same. Ex: Avalanche stretch + focus while Snow Globe stay the same, unless you put some other mod to Snow Globe.

One problem is you gonna have to add 8 more slots and probably have to cut the require mod slot of the existing mod.

Edited by Hueminator

Well i don`t mean them to be locked to a slot (eg. skill number 1). Zephyr`s Tail Wind is more of a utility (although it does damage), and Volt`s shock is more attack (although it stuns the opponent sometimes). From this we see these skills are in 2 different groups.

What i thought was that skills are grouped into: Utility; Attack; Support; Heal/Restore, Defense and CC. Each of these groups have 3-4 ability mods, that each offer something different.

I could list what skill i put where, but i`ll just give a small example:

Utility: Anything that helps move around easier, or gives situational benefts - Tail Wind; Rip Line; Mind control; Bounce etc.

Attack: Anything that does primarily damage - Slash Dash; Fireball; Shuriken, Vortex, etc.

Support: Anything that helps you kill stuff better - Roar; Warcry; M-Prime, etc.

Heal/Restore: Anything that heals/restores (d`uh) - Well of life, Energy Vamp, Renewal, etc.

Defense: Anything that takes damage for you - Snowglobe; Energy Shield; Absorb; Iron Skin, etc.

CC: Anything that makes the enemy less of a dodgy bastard - Chaos; Bastille; Tornado; Radial Blind, etc.

So the ability mods would be grouped by these categories, and respectively influence only the skills in the category.

I get what you mean but being generic to all frames/powers as opposed to the specific frame and power is more the factor.

For example Take Ash's shuriken, generic moding could mean more damage, maybe an elemental change, or some other aspect, because it has to work for other powers as well.

Alternativly if you work something specific for Shuriken, maybe you can add more shurikens for a wider arc, or reduce the shuriken's to only one with vastly more bleeding, or change it to not bleed but be an orbital attack around ash, where one shuriken goes closkwise and the other goes counter clockwise. or maybe change it to be one large shuriken that gets thrown forward and hits anything in it's path.  Most of these cant really appy to all attacking powers (like Fireball or Shock), but because it's tailored to Shuriken and the role it plays its vastly more Ash's style than say giving his shuriken some fire proc and potentially stepping on Embers toes or moving him closer to Ember's role as the fire and heat frame.

Edited by Loswaith

Thanks! :)

Only because you like a system that is the CORE of another game? So of course you will to be the one to balance this nightmare so that players won't start screaming about one frame being so much better then another, and other pointless discussions?

How about we don't turn Warframe into an overhead RPG game, that I would like to point out, is balanced around a totally different combat model, and also has a turn based function, is not multiplayer, and is not based on a micro-transaction system.

God only knows how long it took those guys to get a single weapon worked out to be usable, and DE would have to go back and rework every frame for thousands of mods combinations.

Are you kidding me?

I like the idea of distinguishing yourself from others through further effective customization

We already have too many tactics that are "one trick pony" because of the mobs being underpowered to deal with us, if you allow further min-maxing to take effect, we will simply murder them even faster.

I quite like this idea, it means you can sorta orient your abilities for fighting factions, though would we be allowed to combine these element procs, like to make magnetic and corrosive? Because that would make them much more useful.

Abilities that help fight a particular faction or mob only make sense when you are fighting mobs that are like the ones in Borderlands. A lot of them require focused fire for 4-5+ seconds, so shaving 1-2 seconds by using an optimal element or damage model makes sense.

In Warframe currently, anything under Level 50 will die instantly when exposed to a basic combination of 1 frame power and 1 gun in under 1 full second, like an MPrime or Roar or Sonar and any decent accurate weapon, so unless you make every mob a mini-mini-boss that actually needs tactics to kill, rather then a distraction that is killed along with 3 of his mates in a line with a single arrow, I fail to see why it was important that that arrow did Fire or Electricity.

If every shot NEEDED to have a decent chance to set mobs on fire, or stagger them, or confuse them etc etc, in order to buy precious seconds for your team to help kill them, it would make sense, but when sweeping a gun across a room kills everything in a line, the fact your magic gun causes a poison proc is incredibly pointless.