Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Guide] Warframe On Mac With Boot Camp

DietEbolaCola

Question

This thread is about player's experiences setting up Boot Camp (and possibly other apps & programs) to run Warframe on their Mac. This thread is meant to be Mac analog to the Linux with Wine thread. 

I could not find such a Guide through forum search or Players Helping Players List last week, probably lost in the Archive threads if there ever was one, when Kickbot was talking about his positive experiences running Warframe on his Mac Book Pro.

My agenda is to have something to show my Machead friends and family how they can get in the game and partying it up with me, that, thus far obstinately refuse to run games that do not work natively in OSX.

Once we get beyond cursory and rudimentary information to something more concrete and practical through community I can then share it with them.

Boot Camp Resource Links (DX11 Dual Boot Gameplay)

Boot Camp Basics = Mac Basics: Using Windows on your Mac with Boot Camp

Win8 Installs = Boot Camp: Frequently asked questions about installing Windows 8

Win7 Installs = Boot Camp: Installing Windows 7 Frequently Asked Questions

Win8 & Win8.1 Installs = Boot Camp 5.1: Frequently asked questions about installing Windows 8

Win10 Installs = Boot Camp support for Win10 installation not available yet

Dual Booting = How To Guide

More Info = Various Support Articles & Discussions for Boot Camp

Parallel Mac OSX & Windows Installs // Possible Virtual Machine Installs (DX10 Gameplay)

This section is a work in progress but is something I am very interested in providing here, too.

There are also ways to use Boot Camp with other apps and programs so you can move in and out of Windows & OSX running in parallel kind of like tabbing in and out of programs in Windows, rather than having to boot up stuck in only one operation system. I would like to include such if some have gotten a stable Warframe install going that way.

From what I understand, there is often a slight to moderate performance hit, especially on certain Mac builds or what is used & configured for each install. I would still like to hear about them to get them included in this Guide. Please let me now.

Parallels = Parallels Desktop for Mac (with DX10 support)

Virtual Machine = VMware Fusion (with DX10 support)

Note: VMware Fusion 7 Pro version only supported up to DX9.0c. The current version, Fusion 8, supports DX10 in both its regular and Pro versions.

Warning

This Guide is for successful installs only in order to fill an informational void with user's successful (even partially successful) experiences and feedback regarding same.

Please do not derail this thread with hyperbolic opinions and comments. Those responses will be Reported for removal.

Edited by DietEbolaCola
  • Like 1

14 answers to this question

Or just use Vmware Fusion if you hate to dual boot . You can also create virtual machine out of your existing boot

Is that stable with Warframe?

Edit:

Added VMware Fusion link to OP.

It looks like Parallels Desktop may be a better option as it supports DX10.

VMware Professional only supports up to DX9.0c at this time.

Edited by DietEbolaCola

Is that stable with Warframe?

Edit:

Added VMware Fusion link to OP.

It looks like Parallels Desktop may be a better option as it supports DX10.

VMware Professional only supports up to DX9.0c at this time.

It looks like those 2 are the only options for swapping between Windows and OSX on the fly as far as I can tell.

The benefit of Boot Camp dual booting instead is being able to run DX11.

I am not apple fan, but let me ask if this virtual machines on your macs give respectable amount of FPS to play?

I would try standard method what Linux / Windows user follow:

http://www.notebookreview.com/howto/in-progress-how-to-dual-boot-from-a-mac-into-windows/

Don't know if you can try this on mac machine

Edited by EmbedFire

I am not apple fan, but let me ask if this virtual machines on your macs give respectable amount of FPS to play?

I would try standard method what Linux / Windows user follow:

http://www.notebookreview.com/howto/in-progress-how-to-dual-boot-from-a-mac-into-windows/

Don't know if you can try this on mac machine

That is pretty much falls in line with the other links in the OP but I'll add it because the more the merrier.

Macs are pretty much the industry standard across various creative industries (many of my friends are in the entertainment or music industry in some form or the other), so it's a matter of having OSX for work, having that Windows kernel available for DirectX gameplay on the same machine, and us being able to play together between clients / during breaks.

You're very welcome.

For some reason Mac users are stubborn about installing additional programs to play certain games despite having thousands of other utility apps to perform other tasks. I mostly made this after throwing my hands in the air at friends with Macs who refuse to try.

I am hoping it will get through to others willing to give Warframe a spin.

OP updated:

Added link to Win8 and Win8.1 support.

Placeholder for Win10 added for when that is supported by Boot Camp.

Dead link removed. 

Parallel OS and virtual machine versions still don't support DX11 yet (DX10 or DX9.0c only). DX11+ supported through dual boot only.

Edited by DietEbolaCola

Hello.

I have a MacBook Air 13'' Since 3 months and i install BootCamp to start to Play it, IT REALLY WORKS VERY NICE, But i loss a lot of space in my mac, i decided to try whit VMware, and Well, i download it whit Steam, and when i wanna play i enter, put my password and i get a ERROR.

I cant play it whit VMware, you know why? y really like this game haha

THANKS FOR THE POST :D

For VMware you'll probably have to download Warframe as a standalone from the Warframe site rather than trying to play it through steam.

You'll probably also lose a lot of framerates / performance running through VMware rather than through Boot Camp.

VMWare Fusion 8 now supports DX10 through Boot Camp. OP updated.

I was looking into seeing if the latest version of Boot Camp supports Win10 and DX12.

It looks like Boot Camp is ending support of Win7 in favor of Win10, which is also eligible for the free Microsoft upgrade from Win7+ to Win10, however, the Boot Camp version only supports Win10 64-bit.

Buzz around Boot Camp & Mac forums says the DX12 runtime install is currently buggy on the latest version of Boot Camp, but DX11 is still fully supported.

Edited by DietEbolaCola