Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Secondaries 2.0 - Quick Shot And Stance Integration

Perral

I thought of this idea when I was attempting to fight infested using just melee, just after the release of the mutalist ospreys. Their quick nature made it impossible to bring down with my sword, and my primary was a bow, meaning that for a simple kill, I had to swap out of melee to primary, then to secondary, which takes a while.

Then I thought: other than this, there are very few situations where secondaries are very useful, the others being:

1) You're knocked down.

2) You've run out of ammo on your primary magazine and have no time to reload, or out of ammo entirely and there's none around.

3) Your secondary is much more practical for the situation (such as using the Angstrum for large groups).

This left very little practical opportunities that would make you want to use a secondary over a primary, making them rather difficult to level up.

So, these are my two ideas:

Quick Shots

Using a new keybind (I know we're getting a bit low on buttons, but still), with any weapon other than a secondary out, you pull out your secondary with one hand, and take a shot at where-ever you're pointing. This is useful when using melee, as you don't have to go through the process of swapping out to your other weapon and then swapping back, which is rather arduous.

This is not meant to entirely replace the equipping of a secondary, and would have the following downsides:

1) There would be a slight delay after pressing the button for the animation to play, then firing the shot. (Note: If you keep firing the weapon, it won't be put back until you stop.)

2) There is a slight accuracy loss due to the fast motion of the Tenno's hands and the fact that they won't look where they're shooting, but not so much that you won't hit anything at long range, so the weapon can still retain its function.

3) All weapons are reduced to a semi-auto fire mode. This means that the very fast firing weapons would suffer drastically from this. Burst fire is retained.

4) Secondaries will suffer from a slight base fire rate decrease when using quick shot, about 15% for single weapons, and 57.5% for dual weapons (which includes weapons such as the Kunai), due to only using one of the two weapons. However, as all weapons would be in a semi-auto state, this would also make keeping an optimal fire rate more bearable.

5) Charge mechanics are ignored.

6) Despite having both weapons out, you cannot use the weapon actually equipped until the secondary is put back.

7) You cannot reload without swapping to the weapon.

8) No zoom.

These downsides may seem like quite a lot, but in practice, these would actually not have much effect on their capabilities, apart from on dual-wield weapons, which would essentially become a single counterpart when using quick shot.

A few mod ideas I had to go along with this are along these lines:

Focused Mind: -10% to -60% from quick shot accuracy penalty.

Dexterous: -10% to -50% from quick shot fire rate penalty.

Reflex Shot: -10% to -40% from quick shot accuracy penalty, +10% to +40% to quick shot delay. Makes quick shots more accurate, but take a longer time to perform.

Panic Shot: +10% to +40% to quick shot accuracy penalty, -10% to -40% from quick shot delay. Opposite of reflex shot.

Reckless Perception: -20% to -60% from fire rate penalty, +30% to +90% to accuracy penalty. Faster quick shot fire rate with reduced accuracy.

(Note: All penalty reductions from the mods cap at 100%, and therefore cannot exceed using the pistol when it is drawn.)

Stance Integration

Having stances and combos for pistols would be extremely difficult to perform, as you'd have to simultaneously press the key combo as well as aim your weapons at a fast pace. While this would be able to pay off for the more skilled players, those with slower reflexes would find them almost useless. Also, weapons with special functions like the Angstrum and Castanas would perform strangely.

However, if the existing stances for melee weapons were to include new combos with pistols integrated, then it would be much easier, as well as open interesting options in close quarters.

Due to the difference in fire rates of pistols, I suggest using the number of shots that can be used in a certain time frame rather than a specific number of shots.

As an example, let's say this is in Iron Phoenix:

1) First two attacks as normal.

2) Hold melee. Deals the stab from "Wings and Beak", then stabs sword into the ground, dealing relevant slam effect, and performs a somersault forward.

3) Quick shot. While in the somersault, fire 0.5 seconds worth of bullets towards the spot at the center of the jump. Tenno lands facing the way the came.

4) Melee. Performs a spin attack, dealing damage to all nearby.

Thank you for reading, any sort of feedback will be appreciated. =)

This left very little practical opportunities that would make you want to use a secondary over a primary, making them rather difficult to level up.

I completly disagree here, my most used weapon is a secondary. They have some mods that are way better then for primaries.

Mixed feelings. Mechanics would be interesting to get accustomed to, but I very much like the idea.

-Snip-

YES YES YES YES YES YES! There are so many times I needed this

Thank you for the support. =)

I completly disagree here, my most used weapon is a secondary. They have some mods that are way better then for primaries.

Yeah, I suppose there would be exceptions to what I said, and better mods increase the potential by quite a lot, especially for new players who haven't found a Serration yet (personally, I ended up going around with a Vasto for a while because I had Hornet Strike, but not Serration).

Could you tell me which weapon it is, so I can try to find a way to work with it?

I really like this it would go hand in hand with ashs teleport ability. Imagin the ability to teleport stap a guy then turn around shoot his two buddys. I also like how it fixes a BIG problem with secondarys and that why should i pull out mu pistol and shoot you when its faster to reload my rifle.

My most used weapon as of currently is my Kunai do to the abillity to kil anything and especially before DMG 2.0 i could kill anything indefinatley due to the ammo use being so low not to mention that i only recently have gotten a hornet strike and was using the kunai almost unmodded i dont get where your coming from hell half the time im using my dex furris which melts most enemies if not all way up into lvls due to its fire rate and the mulit shot i have modded on

My most used weapon as of currently is my Kunai do to the abillity to kil anything and especially before DMG 2.0 i could kill anything indefinatley due to the ammo use being so low not to mention that i only recently have gotten a hornet strike and was using the kunai almost unmodded i dont get where your coming from hell half the time im using my dex furris which melts most enemies if not all way up into lvls due to its fire rate and the mulit shot i have modded on

Hmm, I guess I was thinking mostly from the perspective of using a semi-auto weapon, especially for new players, where the Lato is effectively useless compared to any rifle, and it is quicker to switch from using melee to rifle than to pistol, making it pointless altogether in most cases.

While this entire system I've suggested does nothing for people who use their secondary as a primary, from all other play styles, the pistol is only there for people who have died at the moment leading to the problems in the op. (Thinking back, the melee 2.0 system also does nothing for people who only ever use their melee for coptering or quick melees.)

Edited by Perral

Cannet even count how much i had to kill much of the game flow when using melee and then switching to primary/secondary.

I don't think thowring a kunai suddenly when playing melee would be weird, it fits the fast paced play-style WF is standing for, we are ninjas after all, and i never seen a ninja needing to wait 2 seconds to be shotting his bow because he was was using his melee.