Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Will There Ever Be Iconic Tennos?

Zeitzbach

no tenno voice & no helmet removal.

Indeed, I don't think the Tenno should ever be given voices or faces.  I actually think those would detract from the Tenno rather than add to them.

Personalities are fine, though; we already can see tidbits of personality with the varying animations for each individual Tenno.  And they have already been communicating through text, as can be seen in Dark Sector conflicts.  So having iconic Tenno characters with personalities who communicate through text is something I can get behind.

I really cannot stress enough how the Tenno should never be given voices or faces.

Indeed, I don't think the Tenno should ever be given voices or faces.  I actually think those would detract from the Tenno rather than add to them.

Personalities are fine, though; we already can see tidbits of personality with the varying animations for each individual Tenno.  And they have already been communicating through text, as can be seen in Dark Sector conflicts.  So having iconic Tenno characters with personalities who communicate through text is something I can get behind.

I really cannot stress enough how the Tenno should never be given voices or faces.

I disagree, I think a voiced tenno would be great, the reason they don't voice the player tenno is because it's supposed to be the player, it keeps immersion that way. But if you have npc's I don't see why they couldn't talk. It's pretty clear the enemy factions treat tenno as if the tenno speak english since they break their own languages to taunt us rather than us just getting text. I agree faces should probably be held off for at least some time, but if they want to reveal what the tenno are ( if they are altered humans or what ) I don't see the problem with giving the npc's a face and just keeping the player characters faceless. because with a game as customizable as this, if they ever showed the pc face.. they'd have to come up with a way to customize the look of the character there as well.

Edited by Penn0086

Speaking on this subject, if these were to happen, it'd be wonderful if they showed up in Solo mode, on a percentage chance to follow you around and help. Not a huge percentage, but staying around longer in the missions would accumulate it until up to 3 of them spawned. Being all chatty, some would have really terrible jokes, or others would be rather silent, only commenting when they see rare drops or enemy types. ^_^ I'm all for this thread!

I disagree, I think a voiced tenno would be great, the reason they don't voice the player tenno is because it's supposed to be the player, it keeps immersion that way. But if you have npc's I don't see why they couldn't talk. It's pretty clear the enemy factions treat tenno as if the tenno speak english since they break their own languages to taunt us rather than us just getting text. I agree faces should probably be held off for at least some time, but if they want to reveal what the tenno are ( if they are altered humans or what ) I don't see the problem with giving the npc's a face and just keeping the player characters faceless. because with a game as customizable as this, if they ever showed the pc face.. they'd have to come up with a way to customize the look of the character there as well.

Giving any of the Tenno a voice or face, doesn't matter if it's an NPC or a PC, will influence how we view the rest of the Tenno, and our own Tenno.  We would see what Tenno look like under their mask, we would know how they sound, we'd have a better understanding of what they are.  We'd think, "If that Tenno looks and talks like that, then my Tenno probably looks and talks like that, too."  It would act as the restricting template for all future speculation of and additions to the game.

The whole mysterious vibe of the Tenno that DE has built up would be thrown completely out the window, never to return.  And, in my opinion, it is that mystery that makes the Tenno intimidating and, consequently, cool.  The monster is most fearsome when nobody knows what it looks like.

To get around that, they could simply have them use the 'talk' function, instead of an actual sound file. Making strings instead of sound files would also save on time, energy, RAM, et cetera, without compromising much.

I don't want any NPC Tenno that look like us (wearing a warframe, weapons, sentinels etc). Just kills the vibe of being a badass elite space ninja warrior god. 

Wouldn't mind some more friendly npcs though (Red Veil or something).

First off helmets should stay on. More NPCs like Lotus, yes please. 

On the subject of voices.

It comes down to cool and mysterious vs actual characters. I mean lets be honest here, Tenno are no different than so many characters in video games, just your stereotypical "I'm a faceless, voiceless bringer of death". We've seen that before, it's been done to death. 

Think something along the lines of Dota 2. Only more serious. You could add lines for successful completion of different mission objectives, killing bosses, killing eximus, finding rare mods as well as weapon parts and blueprints. Falling in battle, being revived, reviving someone etc. 

For those opposed to this we could have the option to turn the Tenno voices on or off. I realize that all of this would cost quite a bit and would take a lot of effort, but in my opinion it would be a pretty big improvement for the game.

And it makes sense doesn't it? Tenno would communicate between each other in order to increase their effectiveness as a team. Unless their robots controlled by Lotus... or they have a hive mind.

We're getting ahead of ourselves though, cause it's a pretty low chance DE will actually add that to the game. And even if they'd be willing to do so they have more important things to worry about currently.  

TL;DR: It would be cool to hear voiced Tenno.

/wall of text

Edited by TheDudeOfGaming

Idk if its been mentioned or not but we have the stalker and its pretty clear that hes a Tenno.

Please describe how it's "pretty clear" that Stalker is a Tenno.

Because all we know for sure about him is that he was a Low Guardian of the Orokin Empire, and we don't even know what a Low Guardian is.  Not only that, he differentiates himself pretty clearly in that same codex entry when referencing the Tenno, also using the pronoun "they."

The more patches we get, the more bosses we get to see, hate or like, and kill. Dude like Darvo might reappear once in awhile to say hi in the future.

Meanwhile, the tenno is stuck with an old grumpy woman that can only say "It's the Grineer". What about the frost dude that appeared to save the sleeping prince before he had his first kiss stolen by Captain Vor? The Rhino that could Hulk smash in the trailer?

Lotus loves to say "Yeah reinforcement is coming and stuffs" so why not have those Tennos come and say "Hi! We're on our way" once in awhile as well?

Frost McCold could appear in Mercury like he did in the trailer after he saved you and guides you to dealing with Vor beside "VOR HAS TELAHPORTUUUUUUU. BEWAREEEEEE Tenno.."

Maybe Cali The Excalibro can appear in Jupiter in the first stage (Thebe) telling you he already delivered the load to another location and it's up to you to deal with the current one before he is forever gone and only mentioned again in Themisto by Lotus that "Cali was captured by Alad V and you need to save him" (Only to have him dismembered, of course)

And of course, all the female frames are bedridden thanks to not only catching Technocyte virus while they were sleeping, they also caught cancer.

I am an Iconic Tenno... the Radial Bling emanating from my max Formaed Founders Gear bends the knees of all who stand before me. The Lotus messages me directly with cute smiley faces attached. My Dark Grey Kubrow is the biggest Dire wolf/Hyena Hybrid that has ever been seen. My Dethcube is the embodiment of MORE DAKKA... My Dojo links to Valhalla and Mount Olympus, among other places...

You need to get on my level, young Tenno. Do you know what's there... waiting... beyond that beach?... IMMORTALITY! TAKE IT! ITS YOURS!!!

The more patches we get, the more bosses we get to see, hate or like, and kill. Dude like Darvo might reappear once in awhile to say hi in the future.

Meanwhile, the tenno is stuck with an old grumpy woman that can only say "It's the Grineer". What about the frost dude that appeared to save the sleeping prince before he had his first kiss stolen by Captain Vor? The Rhino that could Hulk smash in the trailer?

Lotus loves to say "Yeah reinforcement is coming and stuffs" so why not have those Tennos come and say "Hi! We're on our way" once in awhile as well?

Frost McCold could appear in Mercury like he did in the trailer after he saved you and guides you to dealing with Vor beside "VOR HAS TELAHPORTUUUUUUU. BEWAREEEEEE Tenno.."

Maybe Cali The Excalibro can appear in Jupiter in the first stage (Thebe) telling you he already delivered the load to another location and it's up to you to deal with the current one before he is forever gone and only mentioned again in Themisto by Lotus that "Cali was captured by Alad V and you need to save him" (Only to have him dismembered, of course)

And of course, all the female frames are bedridden thanks to not only catching Technocyte virus while they were sleeping, they also caught cancer. <---------------------------------------------------This is hard to read.