Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Rookie's Guide To Successful Pvp In Warframe

Mastikator2

Question

This is a short guide for players who are new to PVP in warframe, there are a few mistakes that rookies routinely make and I think just pointing them out will help. I am by no means an awesome PVPer of ultimate ninja doom, but I have a little experience with PVP and a lot with warframe in general.

Gotta go fast
This is the most important one, never stand still, no not even then... if you're standing still you're a very easy target, the TTK is on par with most FPSs (i.e less than a second), the weapons mostly have higher accuracy value in Warframe, and you move significantly faster. Your mobility is your first and most important defense.

Let me repeat that, your mobility is your first and most important defense. And this is the number one reason some rounds are over in seconds.

Parkour is awesome

It doesn't just look cool, it makes you faster, lets you get to places you otherwise can't reach and if you're good at it may let you do devastatingly strong melee attacks.

Learn to parkour, it's useful in PVE, it's awesome in PVP.

Bring your PVP gear
Look at your conclave score (located next to the mod name and below your stats in the arsenal), this is how good gear your computer thinks you have, and this is important to know because the computer is wrong, the values are poorly done and generally don't reflect the power of the mod.
Only bring mods and abilities that you are going to use, it's usually good to bring all 3 weapons, but only put on mods that you actually need, if you only use melee for knockdown and coptering, only put on fury and reach, if you're not going to use that ability, remove it, put something better on.
And bring vitality, it's almost free and it does make a difference. Blast and magnetic are good damage types against Tenno.

That means anti-knockdown mods

Being knocked down makes you extremely vulnerable, and it's relatively easy to knock people down (with jump kick to the face, jump attack and blast damage)

Handspring, Sure Footed, Fortitude, can give you a 80% chance to resist knockdown as well as a 280% recovery speed.

Mods like Rush and Marathon are also good for mobility.

Learn to aim
This is a skill that many need to practice, you can practice by trying to do as many head shots on Grineer in PVE while airborne.
Why this difficult and strange training you ask? Because a good Warframe is going to be moving 3x the speed of a Lancer at all times, (see guideline 1 "gotta go fast").

Shoot first and then forget to ask questions
See something at the corner of your eye for blink of a second? Shoot, it might be an enemy. Yeah you did give away your position, but that was 1 second ago, you should be far gone now (see guideline 1 "gotta go fast")

Rezing is risky business
I'm not saying never rez your loyal and beloved team mate that depends on you, but when you do that you become visible to the enemy and you're forced to stay in one place for like 3 seconds. So it's incredibly dangerous unless your team mate has mad aim skillz with his aim and is packing a nice secondary weapon.

Speaking of Mad Aim Skillz
If you down an enemy, they may still kill you with their secondary, so don't stand in line of sight, but they can also be rezed, undoing all your hard work, so don't go too far away, a common tactic is to stay in the vicinity while the enemy bleeds out, yeah you are a bit vulnerable, even winning is dangerous in warframe PVP.

And lastly, don't be that guy
You know, the guy who brings a Penta or Angstrum or QT/R combo to a PVP game (see spoiler for a more complete list), people who do this have no concept of fair play and are not interested in having a good time, they want to win at any cost. If you see someone like this it's best just to leave and go to a different conclave arena.

Hysteria,

Shuriken,

Penta,

Ogris,

Angstrum,

Castanas,

Miasma,

Rhino Stomp,

Blade Storm,

black energy invisibility,

Reflex Guard,

Feel free to post suggestions for this list

If I missed anything, please feel free post it and I may add it. Don't feel free to post jerk "pvp is bad" stuff, it's rude and not relevant to the topic (not sure why forum mods even allow it honestly).

Edited in stuff, thank you Alphapsykongaroo

Edited by Mastikator2
Cleaning.

9 answers to this question

Don't feel free to post jerk "pvp is bad" stuff, it's rude and not relevant to the topic (not sure why forum mods even allow it honestly).

We share the same sentiment on the subject. Unfortunately very, very few choose to report this behavior instead of inciting more of it. We can't be in every thread, so remember, when seeing toxic behavior, report, don't respond.

On topic, it's a pretty good list of tips for anyone getting into the conclaves. Carry on.

great guide. ill add some too. bring both knockdown resist mods. it will make you near immune to not only knockdowns, but some powerful abilities like rhino stomp, soul punch. cant count the number of times this saved my butt.

blast is actually the worst damage type vs tennos, unless you are going for status build. instead go for magnetc/poison or corrosive/cold.

if you wanna learn how to move around the map really fast and learn advanced parkour skills(yes i was surprised such a thing exist) go watch rexSols conclave parkour europa tutorial vid on youtube.

and to add to the Dont Be That Guy list,

hysteria energy camping, shuriken, bladestorm, and generally any push button to win abilities.

Don't forget to add that downed tenno can be made to bleed out faster if you, uh, shoot them.

I don't think this is still true in the conclaves, specters do bleed out faster tho.

@Haldos, that is reassuring and good to know!

Edited by Mastikator2

As someone who has never played Warframe PvP (but might have interest in it once done with the PvE stuff) I was wondering how weapons like Penta or the Ogris would work in PvP as well as some abilities.

I was pretty sure some of the weapon and ability mechanics would be altered in some way if not all together banned from PvP.

Guess I'm in for a whole world of hurt once I start doing conclave.

Thanks for the guide, helps newbies like me get an idea what it's all about.

Edited by TheDudeOfGaming

As someone who has never played Warframe PvP (but might have interest in it once done with the PvE stuff) I was wondering how weapons like Penta or the Ogris would work in PvP as well as some abilities.

I was pretty sure some of the weapon and ability mechanics would be altered in some way if not all together banned from PvP.

Guess I'm in for a whole world of hurt once I start doing conclave.

Thanks for the guide, helps newbies like me get an idea what it's all about.

The extremely high base damage coupled with very large AOE means it always one-shots and takes no skill to use. People who use it get no respect for me, they generally have no skill and extremely frail egos, if they are killed then they tend to leave. Like the guide says, you're welcome to PVP but don't be that guy that ruins it for others.

Watching RexSol play (https://www.youtube.com/user/CarpeDiemKim/videos) can also be very educational, at least for me.