Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So Is Melee 2.0 Cosmetic?

darkone96

This is so false it makes my head hurt:

Crimson dervish, shattering storm and crushing ruin do so much more extra damage that you won't even come close to their damage output if you go stanceless.

Crushing ruin also give jat kittag massive maneuverability and a crazy amount of sweeping and a ridiculous knockdown range on the last hit, same with brutal tide for obex.

Some of the stances might seem superfluous, but on the other side there are plenty that improve the weapon a fuckton.

the problem is you're locked in the animation, while the whole grineer and corpus deathsquad shoot at you from 3 meters away.

and if you don't have life strike, meleeing the infested stops being viable when the toxics appear (plus the ospreys in PC i believe)

Edited by (PS4)CrimsonShinku

the problem is you're locked in the animation, while the whole grineer and corpus deathsquad shoot at you from 3 meters away.

and if you don't have life strike, meleeing the infested stops being viable when the toxics appear (plus the ospreys in PC i believe)

Clearly you shouldn't go melee only with something like Nova, there are plenty of frames that handle the situation you described without any problems.

I dunno every time my friends and I do ODD we go melee only and dont normally have to leave till around wave 60-70. . . . My Channelling Build Galatine with Cleaving Whirlwind seems to have no issue dealing damage, and the large cleave it has is incredibly useful against the infested or if you have a loki.

I've found Melee 2.0 to be extremely viable and useful...  I run melee almost exclusively.  The trick is to find those combo's that work for you.  Several weapons I simply don't use because the combo's feel like they "lock" me in.  Find a stance that feels right and you will change your mind very quickly.  

Melee 2.0 does need another major look at. I was and still am appalled at how poorly the system functions, considering how long they had to work on it. That said, Melee 2.0 is more or less just as viable as Melee 1.0. A lot of it is different, sure, but in the end it still does damage, even if it is a little lacking.
DE originally stated that Melee 2.0 would have a combo system tied to doing light and heavy attacks, allocated to the left and right mouse button, while in melee mode. I would have been okay with that, since at least it's an easy pattern to read. Left, right, left left right. Compared to... this. E, pause, E E, HOLD E? It just ends up feeling clumsy.
Not going to touch the matter of stances locked behind rng because the subject has been beaten to death.
As for the combo animations themselves, they're not ALL useless. The faster combos are considerably more effective than the 'power' combos.

One of the biggest problems is the chaining system. I've lost count of how often I'll be swinging around, kill things, and then try and make a mad dash to another enemy and get in a swing just so I don't lose my 30-something chain and have to start over again. For the heavy weapons, the process is actually painful, since you can't swing fast enough to wrack up a decent chain count, and once you're done with the one enemy, there's no way for you to get to another and do a slow swing at them before your timer depletes.

Melee 2.0 is far from useless, but it's hardly the spectacular and powerful system that DE promised it would be.
Just find the weapons that work the best. That's all this game is, after all.

I've found Melee 2.0 to be extremely viable and useful...  I run melee almost exclusively.  The trick is to find those combo's that work for you.  Several weapons I simply don't use because the combo's feel like they "lock" me in.  Find a stance that feels right and you will change your mind very quickly.  

Too bad they're locked behind hours of grind and RNG, only to find out it wasn't worth it at all. Melee weapons are still useless when compared to guns. 

Too bad they're locked behind hours of grind and RNG, only to find out it wasn't worth it at all. Melee weapons are still useless when compared to guns. 

Keep telling yourself that, buddy. It simply shows that you're not too good with anything other than a gun. 

Keep telling yourself that, buddy. It simply shows that you're not too good with anything other than a gun. 

Um, no. They're actually S#&$ compared to guns. Everyone who is mentally competent agrees that melee in this game is trash.

Okay, to hell with this "everything has to instakill every enemy at 60 minutes of T4 or it's trash" mentality.

I don't care that some git thinks it's terrible and unviable because he can't clear an entire room with it.

It's fun. That's all I care about.

Edited by MechNexus

The reason DE keeps spewing out S#&$ is because of people like you who are too blind to see what's really issue.

Then please, enlighten me, what *IS* the issue here?

Adding a stance mod to a melee weapon opens up flashy, well-animated combos that increase damage dealt, and completely changing how the weapon moves, while increasing the damage you deal. Couple this with the fact that it's easy to chain-stagger enemies with your melee weapon, combo or not,  and you build up a combo meter that has the potential to increase your melee damage to 3.5 TIMES what it was before you started, and you can start seeing a lot of extra damage.

Couple that with the fact that most melee weapons hit multiple enemies *PER HIT* already, and the fact that with the right build, even a Volt without extra shields isn't going down easy. If you're having issues finding a reason to use melee, that's fine, if you're going to say that *ALL* of Melee 2.0 was hogwash, you and I are going to be at a major disagreement, friend.

I like fun things. You want to know what I was looking forward to over everything else for Update 13? The melee overhaul. Not the new frame, not the new weapons, not the new tile-set, boss, or any of that rot, I was looking forward to the melee system. You want to know my honest thoughts on it? Melee is FAR more viable than before. Before it was just "Spam Charge-attack Galatine, and that's the only good build, everything else is garbage". NOW? now it's "Hey, if you like the weapon, use it". I'm tired of weapons like Boltor Prime, and Soma. I like how even some of the crappiest weapons have a very nice combo setup now that makes even weapons like Skana useable in Pluto.

Before you go and start saying that "You people are the reason this is the issue", you need to consider this: Warframe is a game, not a competitive sport for money. A GAME is meant to be *FUN*, hence why it is called a game and not, say, a "job". If you seriously don't like the combo system, FINE. But do not blame people that are genuinely ENJOYING the new system for your displeasure. WE, as people that enjoy the stances and channeling, are not the issue here. If you don't like it, just don't use it. Eventually, you'll get a Stance Mod for a melee weapon you liked. Eventually, you'll install it, and play around with the system, and hey, you may actually like it. Until then though, don't get mad at other people for enjoying something that you don't.

EDIT: fixing some grammatical issues.

Edited by Mewfan

A number of people have commented about the fact that they enjoy the system, even though it "doesn't compare to guns". You know what else doesn't compare to guns? Other guns. If you care about min/maxing, then go ahead, ignore melee all together - we don't care. It's your problem, not DE's, and not ours.

A few of us, on the other hand (myself included), enjoy the melee system because it's fun. Yeah, my Ceramic Dagger isn't going to do crap compared to your Boltor Prime. But is it more fun to me? Yes. Yes it is.

Um, no. They're actually S#&$ compared to guns. Everyone who is mentally competent agrees that melee in this game is trash.

And this is where you take one step too far. Calling us incompetent for enjoying different things is just childish and immature. If you wanted to have a constructive conversation, you've lost all chances at such. If anything, DE is going to look at this thread as just another whining thread, and disregard it.

Anyone who becomes a foul spewing jerk usually has their opinions ignored. Just a heads up.

Melee is more viable. Is it perfect? No. Does it need some work? Yes. The real mature thing to do is to give feedback on how to improve the existing system instead of. "It's S#&$." and "Change everything, it's S#&$."

So from your sentences, people who can make melee viable for themselves are mentally incompetent? You might not know some fundamentals of social interaction in an online forum. Calling people who can adapt to changes and systems mentally incompetent is about as useful as punching a sack of potatoes. Instead of jumping to conclusions and pointing fingers, grow a pair and try to make the system work for you. If you fail, provide us with some cohesive feedback, and answer questions and counterfeedback posed towards you with some intelligible words. Don't be incompetent yourself or we might have to call you a hypocrite.