Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Some Questions About Frost, Min-Maxing, Weapon Selections.

GreatBlueOwl

Question

So I just completed my 4 forma Excalibur and 2 Forma Volt and I want to move to Frost next and I have sevral questions regarding Frost.

- Should I get Frost or wait longer and farm for Frost Prime instead?

- What are the most important and staple mods required for Frost and a Snowglobe build?

- Which is better, a small or large Snowglobe and what is the best duration for either one and which is more recommended? Because so far I've been told that larger and longer lasting Snowglobes are better but there have been certain people telling me that small, tighter SGs are better.

- Is Ice Wave viable when I reach level 30 above enemies?

- What weapons (Primary, Secondary and Melee) compliment Frost the most and is still reliable at higher levels? Please don't tell me that I can use any weapon because I want to keep a theme to my Frost and I wouldn't be asking otherwise if I just picked up any random weapon in my inventory.

- What weapons that are not Penta and Ogris would you suggest works best if I want to play around with Blast procs?

I don't really care if it's not effective against certain enemies, I just want to use a Blast proc weapon if I just want to have fun.

Please keep it constructive, thanks.

12 answers to this question

1. I get both, cause "gotta catch 'em all". Also mastery rank.

2. I go with efficiency and Snow Globe health (Power Strength and Armor). Duration not that important on higher level.

3. Large SG only matter against Bombard and Napalm.

4. Ice Wave can slow enemies down.

5 and 6. Boar Prime: You're the defender, enemies come to you before you blast them upclose. Also high proc chance, put blast elemental and you good to go. Marelok/Akbronco Prime: High proc too. Serro/Bo Prime: High proc and multiple enemies at once.

At higher levels you'll be casting SG more frequently no matter the strength, so it's always a good idea to build with 75% efficiency, so you can tackle any content range.

Size is dependant upon personal preference. A smaller globe will take less damage (less hits) but will protect a smaller area, while a larger globe will give teammates a good place to defend from, but enemies may run inside before firing, negating the globes protective effects. I tend to use ~-21% range the most often (Full NM with Stretch or partial NM) as this is just small enough that ranged units will pause outside the globe, and get caught in the snare, before firing.

You want as small as possible globe for survivals and Infested maps.

Ice Wave is always viable for the snare but I would stop using it for damage fairly soon.

I tend to use Latron Prime with my Frost Prime - not only is it the weapon bundled with Frost Prime, it works well with accurate fire from a distance, so you can stay in the globe instead of running to enemies. I use Brakk or Castanas as secondaries for a CQC weapon or against incoming clusters of enemies.

Ok, so I'll get the normal Frost for mastery but I'll use the Prime for my actual builds.

Those weapons you guys mentioned sound really nice, I'll try them out when I get them. But let's say I were to try Blast procs with auto fire guns, which ones would be suitable for that? I do really enjoy the Grataka and it has high status so that might be a good option for messing around with Blast.

I'll try to play around in the builder for different SG builds, I guess. Thanks for all the feedback. =)

Here is my answer:

- You should wait to get the Frost Prime cause the extra polarity makes all the difference

-Give you Snow Globe Max Range, I will cover bigger objectives and enemies in it will slow down A LOT. Also have some continuity with it.

-The Bigger the Better, the only case where your Snow Globe should be small is when it is in the way of your team mates fire

-I took of Ice wave because I need all my energy for SG and Avalance. Ice wave is a useless skill.

-I use Latron Prime and Reaper Prime, along with a Stug. The Latron Prime pairs good with Snow Globe, and the Reaper is pretty ^.^ And the Stug is good when Latron stops one-shotting, and it gets the job done. Penta and Ogris is also good cause snow globe will take the blast.

- An Angstum could be used for a secondary if you want blast.

There you go, a Great Frost!!! 

-Give you Snow Globe Max Range, ... enemies in it will slow down A LOT.

The snare is not effected by anything. Increasing the range won't increase the range of the snare.

-I took of Ice wave because I need all my energy for SG and Avalance. Ice wave is a useless skill.

I find Avalanche to be much less useful than IW or even Freeze. Avalanche's CC is fairly useless and the damage is negligible at higher levels. IW forces a cold proc, which greatly reduces the threat from that enemy, and Freeze is a hard CC.

So I just completed my 4 forma Excalibur and 2 Forma Volt and I want to move to Frost next and I have sevral questions regarding Frost.

- Should I get Frost or wait longer and farm for Frost Prime instead?

- What are the most important and staple mods required for Frost and a Snowglobe build?

- Which is better, a small or large Snowglobe and what is the best duration for either one and which is more recommended? Because so far I've been told that larger and longer lasting Snowglobes are better but there have been certain people telling me that small, tighter SGs are better.

- Is Ice Wave viable when I reach level 30 above enemies?

- What weapons (Primary, Secondary and Melee) compliment Frost the most and is still reliable at higher levels? Please don't tell me that I can use any weapon because I want to keep a theme to my Frost and I wouldn't be asking otherwise if I just picked up any random weapon in my inventory.

- What weapons that are not Penta and Ogris would you suggest works best if I want to play around with Blast procs?

I don't really care if it's not effective against certain enemies, I just want to use a Blast proc weapon if I just want to have fun.

Please keep it constructive, thanks.

-Depends if you want more mastery or not

-Depends on how far you're going. If you're going into where the enemies damage will be very high then you have to build for spamming globes. Max efficiency (streamline+fleeting expertise). If you're doing lower level things then you can probably get away with running based on strength and duration. Size is variable to the map, some maps are close quarters and a big globe is bad, some maps it's nice. Also depends on the faction you're playing against (IE: Grineer Bombards can hit the globe outside and hurt things inside if it's too small/hugging the outside). 

-Ice wave is terrible

-If you're running the spam build like I said you will have very little time to be shooting. Otherwise if you're running a low level mission, I guess I wont answer the question as any weapon will work if the enemies are that level.

-Best weapon to mod for blast proc hands down is Torid. It's extremely underrated by people. You can lock down an entire pathway by spamming blast proc Torid clouds on the ground.

-Depends if you want more mastery or not

-Depends on how far you're going. If you're going into where the enemies damage will be very high then you have to build for spamming globes. Max efficiency (streamline+fleeting expertise). If you're doing lower level things then you can probably get away with running based on strength and duration. Size is variable to the map, some maps are close quarters and a big globe is bad, some maps it's nice. Also depends on the faction you're playing against (IE: Grineer Bombards can hit the globe outside and hurt things inside if it's too small/hugging the outside). 

-Ice wave is terrible

-If you're running the spam build like I said you will have very little time to be shooting. Otherwise if you're running a low level mission, I guess I wont answer the question as any weapon will work if the enemies are that level.

-Best weapon to mod for blast proc hands down is Torid. It's extremely underrated by people. You can lock down an entire pathway by spamming blast proc Torid clouds on the ground.

Wow, thanks for all that info! That confirms it then, I'll make different builds for Frost then.

Looking at how the Torid works, I can see how Blast procs work well with it. I'll definitely try it out once I reach the proper MR. Thanks =)

Freeze doesn't jive with my style so I don't use it, but i've seen it used effectively in Defense, especially combined with Loki's disarm.

As far as the globe.  As people are saying duration matters less as you go higher due to the amount of damage it will be taking.

The frame's armor rating effects the strength of the globe so Steel Fiber is important.

For the size, yes personal preference, i'd say play around with it some.  The bombard/napalm thing needs to be taken into consideration.  As well there is something else.  People that don't like a large globe from you will be annoyed if you have it big.  People that think all the globes should be max size for them to hide in will rage, maybe quit and say nasty things about your mom in chat before they do if you have a small globe.  I personally have mine spec'd middle of the road and will laugh at people who rage, but it is there.

I second the boar prime for blast damage.  Shotguns have high proc chance and you can boost it quite high.  Then since blaze is pure damage plus fire damage, and with the new fire+ status mod isolating your elemental just to blast is easy (annoyingly so if you don't like blast) you'll be knockin foos all over tha place.