Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Infestation Assassin Unit - The Ancient Retriever (Art Included)

Krion112

EjQqC2K.jpg

Going through the Orokin Derelicts isn't quite as frightening as I had initially hoped. You can raid the place to your own desire and trudge through horde after horde of Infested units without getting much challenge.

I feel like we need something to break up this monotony: make an Infested Assassin/Miniboss that appears randomly after you've stayed on the Derelict for too long. And so, I designed this unit.

The Ancient Retriever is a recluse creature that has been around since the time of the Technocyte Virus's release, after the fall of the Orokin. It is younger than Lephantis, however, but it is still in a very advanced stage of the infection. Its carapace armor resembles the organic designs of Warframes, suggesting that the creature is attempting to encase itself in Warframe-like armor. It has also assimilated a lot of Orokin technology into itself. As such, it is one of the most intelligent Infested in existence.

Scale-wise, it's slightly taller than a normal Ancient. 

It has two spawning conditions; one inside the Derelict and one outside.

To spawn while in a derelict, the Tenno must remain past a certain amount of time. But even then, its encounter is not guaranteed. Here, it will signal its arrival with a massive screech that can be heard throughout the ship. Though relatively slow, it is backed up by continuous spawns of additional, lower class Infested units, such as Runners and Chargers. Dying to the Retriever here only causes it to flee.

Outside of the Derelict, you can attract the Retriever by becoming infected by a Parasite Crawler, a new variant of crawler that could appear and use a ranged weapon that marks you for the Retriever, which Lotus will give you a message for. The Parasite Crawler would only spawn during outbreaks, and only if you've completed a certain amount of outbreak missions (probably five in a row). The Parasite Crawler is distinguished by having bright blue colors and a gold head ornament, similar to Corrupt enemies from regular Tower missions.

Once marked, the Retriever has a random chance to override a mission before you are deployed into it. This means you would select a mission, and deploy, but the mission would be completely barren. Lotus would likely express her concern for the situation, and will tell you to extract immediately. However, on approach to extraction, a boss chamber tile will contain the Retriever and block your way to the exit. Entering the room initializes its attack. Dying to it here will cause you to awake in an Escape mission aboard an Orokin Derelict.

The Ancient Retriever has many forms of attack, the obvious of which are its right hand claw and its double tentacle arm on the left. The double tentacles can attack two different targets at the same time. As well, its three back tentacles, which attack by means of shooting Tysis-like projectiles, are capable of targeting multiple enemies.The projectiles of these tentacles have a high proc chance for Viral damage, making them dangerous to be hit by.

In addition to those attacks, it has multiple abilities.

Its first is a blinding beam that get's projected from the row of Orokin rings on its back.

Second, attempting to get out of the Retrievers range will cause it to yank you back using one of its tentacle arms.

Third, it can project out nano-swarms from the breach in its head, which swarm around players, sapping their shields and energy.

Fourth, it aims its right hand and unleashes several tentacle beams, similar in effect to the Phage, dealing high magnetic damage instead of Viral. Though perfect in aim, it will not track its target while using this attack.

Finally, it possesses a magnetic pulse ability which originates from the Orokin ring on its left shoulder. The ring would charge up, and then the energy would disperse across the ground from one of its tentacle arms. It would project three of these waves, which function much like shockwaves, both knocking you down and causing magnetic damage and proc.

Additionally, it might have a passive ability to lower the strength of any prime warframes or weapons in its presence, due to its possession of Orokin technology. Things like reduced shields, loss of energy efficiency, and reduced damage. However, I'm not sure many would agree on that one...

During any fighting with the Retriever, constantly spawning swarms of Infested units will arrive to assist it in battle. Ultimately, the idea behind the Retriever is to make it good against things that are normally effective against the assassin type enemies, like making it able to fight more than one Tenno at once and being able to counteract many warframe abilities.

Some taunts I came up with:

On Arrival

"Another to the collection..."

"You will be consumed..."

"Allow us to unburden your flesh..."

"We shall grant you perfection..."

Battle

"We will bring you to transcendence... embrace your destiny..."

"Your resistance to evolution... is futile..."

"Impure and misdirected... allow us to fix you..."

"There are only two children of the Orokin remaining... soon, there shall only be one..."

"Do not fear the unknown...we will guide you to your future..."

"You continue to resist us...let us in..."

Battle (Using a Prime)

"The Gold of the Orokin could not save them... it will not save you either..."

"Your <Warframe/Weapon/Sentinel> is of the old ways... we have since adapted"

"You would have fate repeat itself... so be it..."

Retriever Defeated

"We cannot maintain... this battle..."

"You escape... for now..."

"We will have you... eventually..."

Tenno Defeated

"Your's is ours now..."

"Embrace your defeat..."

"Evolution... awaits..."

"This is the next step..."

So, what'dya think?

Edited by Krion112

Gotta love that art :3 strangely though, he looks like a Primed elite from Halo, as opposed to an ancient. The infested have like a grimy look to them

Ahah, now I realize where I got the pose; it's from an elite. The hunched over posture, hocked-legs, outstretched fingers, it all makes sense now. It's also not helped by the Orokin bit sticking out of the front of his head being shaped like an elite's jaw. I knew this all looked familiar...

Still though, I'm really happy with this drawing.

Love the art. Honestly though it got me thinking maby this is a Sentient.

Of course , anscients can be infested sentients ...

Thanks!

I doubt the Sentients being the Ancients though, but hopefully DE will shed the light on that.

Like everything except for the dispell. Its just lame and cheap and what makes the stalker fights tuen into either pkayer or stalker instagibbing each other.

Mostly I just want a power that could be a detriment to Warframe powers. Things that stop you from being able to take it down with powers. I'll think more on a replacement that might be more creative and more involving for the Tenno.

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT.

Seriously. Infested need to amp their horror level

Greatly appreciated!

Agreed, although I don't think the Infested are 'horror' capable, DE could at least make raiding their stuff a lot more suspenseful.

Bump, I guess...

Like everything except for the dispell. Its just lame and cheap and what makes the stalker fights tuen into either pkayer or stalker instagibbing each other.

Changed Dispel to a Magnetic Pulse ability. At least gives the player the ability to avoid having their power sapped; would just have to be skilled enough to dodge.

• 3 months later...

The palm of Nekros shudders and trembles,

outstretched and ascended over the corpse of a long forgotten.

The energy of the void sparks and hisses,

as the creature rises from its tomb.

And this topic has been Nekros'd from its long slumber.

Wow! I wonder why it is still not being discussed o.o Art +111

Thanks!

A lot of people are actually kind of against the idea of an Infested Asssassin, but it's very plausible. Also, sometimes things get pushed back, I'm sure recently a lot more people were concerned with Viver and the debuffs to worry about content such as this, but maybe someday it'll be a thing.

this is a very great idea i love every bit of it.

Greatly appreciated!

I love it. I was having a chat with some buds not a while back, about an infested assassin, or a something-something that wants to kill you for exterminating so much of its brethren. Not a stupid unit like Phorid, but rather a being evolved enough to be aware of its powers, and the will to kill you.

I was imagining some sort of dialogues, telepathically being transmitted to one, as they are doing whatever missions.

There was the Technocyte Stalker from Dark Sector, so an assassin creature among the ranks of Infestation would make sense.

I would create audio for it, but I'm not that good with audio work...

this needs to be added to the game we have grineer assassins ,we have corpus assassins ,its time for the infested to step up their game a bit ,i like this concept ,i dont like the idea of spawning other infested units ,and it could use some tweaking ofc but all in all i wanna see it happening  in the game

gr8 m8 i r8 8/8 

Thanks!