Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tenno Dmr Concept: Calamus

Shion963

Note: Parts of this will be very similar to an old weapon concept of mine, the RELIC since it's basically a rework of the thing. It's practically Relic2.0

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/32603-weapon-concept-relic-long-gun-an-orokin-era-combatbattle-rifle/

And now, without further ado:

========================================================================================

The Weapon

28uu2ba.jpg

Picture courtesy of HandsOfnArtist's rifle concept drawing https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/156126-tenno-rifle-concept-drawing/, used with the artist's permission

"The CALAMUS employs a variable firing mechanism well suited for precision shots or a sustained burst of fire."

Type: Marksman Rifle (Sniper Ammo)

Base Damage: 120

Impact: 44

Puncture: 56

Slash: 20

Base Firing Rate: 7.4 semi-auto, holding down trigger switches to full automatic after a very short wind-up

Accuracy: 36 (?) (accurate, but factor in recoil when full auto)

Base Magazine Size: 22

Base Ammo Size: 72 (1 full magazine + 3-odd reloads) (maxed Ammo Drum gives 22, another mag)

Base Reload Speed: 2.2s

Base Critical Chance: 20%

Base Critical Damage: 130%

Base Status Chance: 15%

Polarities: 1 - (Dash)

Other features: SEER-like zoom while aiming. no full scope.

The Calamus was designed to be a versatile weapon that can be used in both long and medium range encounters, with close-range effectiveness depending on the user's ability. Its deep, non-scope zoom is meant to convey the fact that it is a marksman weapon, neither a sniper or an assault rifle. The sniper-class damage stat is countered by its uncommon ammunition pool; careless use will deplete your reserves quick. A sidearm, ammo mutation, or scavenger aura is recommended for extended firefights. The dash/tactical (-) polarity slot further emphasises its tactical nature, providing a cheaper means in increasing ammunition reserves, or adding a primary elemental mod early on.

Depending on how it's modded, it can be used like an accurate arrow from afar, or the short, controlled pen strokes of a signing banker.

========================================================================================

The Concept

As my previous concept thread stated: I am a very big fan of accurate rifles. The Mattock from ME2 and Covenant Carbine of Halo 2 were my go-to weapons during the games, and the Latron (and Prime) are somewhat my choice for Warframe.

But here's the kicker: I fell in love with Mk-1 Braton when I went back to finish levelling it. And now I wanna make Mk-1 and Latron kiss and have babies. Accurate, strong, reasonably good looking babies.

My original concept was a Rifle-type weapon, but there were worries that it was too good with no downsides, so it was shifted to a Sniper-type weapon to better fit its high-power, low ammo economy stance. You can still use this as a full-auto rifle all the time, provided you have easy access to loads of sniper ammunition. Or, y'know, make your shots count.

The Conclusion

As a side note: I'm not intimately familiar with the endgame meta, or what constitutes an "endgame-worthy" weapon, but I would like for the Calamus to at least be viable for it. Feel free to theorycraft possible mod loadouts for it, dissect its strong and weak points, and point out what needs to be increased/lowered/tweaked.

Personally I'd just build it with Multishot (15), Serration (10), Sniper Ammo Mutation (7), Point Strike (9), Critical Delay (- polarity, 9/2=5), Shred (10) = 55 points from a catalysed, un-forma'd Calamus.

Comments and constructive criticism are welcome. \o/

Sorry for that, typing on a 3.8" touchscreen is quite annoying. Accidentally'd the post button.

I want one

needs to be a bit longer

most DMRs have long-er barrels

Umm... Future space technology stabilised barrel?

Very well thought out concept and the design is really nice, gives me the old AkStiletto feel.

Thank you! The art is by HandsOfnArtist, but it definitely captures what I had in mind for the rifle: a beefier, heavier Latron. Now that you mention it, though the Akstilleto is an accurate weapon with full-auto ability... Edited by Shion963

bby pls, be gentle with my emotions, this is sick

edit: upon further inspection, this thing fires faster than the Latron, but hits like a crit-dull Snipetron. If it wasn't for the lower crit and use of sniper ammo it'd be hella OP. This is definitely an r4/5+ weapon.

I know you're not the artist, but to hit that future-dmr feel, maybe they could consider some art tweaks:

yCj4LjF.jpg

1: Make holo sight into more of a scope at the first area, then line up ironsight at end.

2: Extend mag a couple notches?

3: Extend barrel, but not by much.

4: Consider a foregrip--not necessary

Edited by WondahBoah

I stopped reading at "uses sniper ammo"

Maybe I should put that bit at the end, then :p

Is it good? Is it bad? The previous concept used rifle ammo, but it was deemed a bad choice as there'll be no risk of running out of ammo, and with reduced damage it'll just be a 22-mag automatic Latron.

bby pls, be gentle with my emotions, this is sick

edit: upon further inspection, this thing fires faster than the Latron, but hits like a crit-dull Snipetron. If it wasn't for the lower crit and use of sniper ammo it'd be hella OP. This is definitely an r4/5+ weapon.

And it's also full automatic!

I love marksman rifles and I think this looks good visually, I like it.I'm fine with it using sniper ammo as long as it has a decent max pool to work off of with mods.

Thanks man! I had the inkling to change the reserve ammo to 88 or something, round it off to 4 spare reloads, but IMHO 72 is a good base to mod on, and not the worst downside I could give to it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Base Firing Rate: 7.4 semi-auto, holding down trigger switches to full automatic after a very short wind-up

Accuracy: 36 (?) (accurate, but factor in recoil when full auto)

I have sparkles all over my body :3

Edit: oh derp, I think I just used Shadows of the Dead D:

Edited by CKN_Czarny

I would add that DMR's do NOT use sniper ammo. The whole Designated Marksman class is to not rely on expensive snipers, but have a more combat-ready rifle and class. It's supposed to be a replacement for snipers, not a semi-sniper rifle. So I suggest you change that.

As for the rest of the concept:
oxc3suP.gif

Edited by Institute-Marksman