Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Serration, Hornet Strike And Point Blank

ReptileZA

I've recently started a new account to get a new, freshy feel for the game...

Then I realized something, that the primary damage mods that are supposed to get you through the starting portion of the game to unlock new content is deceptively hard to get and I feel this is wrong. It should be made so you can obtain those mods a bit easier.

If I am mistaken please enlighten me as to how I can obtain these mods with relative ease. Now I know some of you will ask: " How did you get them on your original account?''
I played since closed beta, stopped and started at update 7. Back then the mods were easy to obtain.

P.S Im not newb have T4 capable char on this account.

Yeah, it's a bit funky for new players at the moment. Farming Appolodorus is one way to get it (Edit: it = Serration. I am not sure about the others.), but new players won't know that. However, U14 is going to address this matter as well as others pertaining to the new player experience.

Edited by Vyrnaazus

I made it to 150 hours without Hornet Strike, Point Blank, and Serration.

These are not mandatory at all whatsoever if you have any semblance of skill with shooters.

Don't worry, next update will make everything extremely easy and boring for newcomers with mods that fall out of enemies A******s to further steamroll for them.

I think I remember getting Serration as one of the survival rewards on Apollo. Had to play the crap out of it to get one. Got excited as all get out when it popped up and hauled tail to extraction cause I didn't want to lose it! Lol. That was the mod by brother kept saying I needed to get further into the game when I first started. As for the other 2, I don't remember where I picked those up when I started.

maybe your newb on been newb lol, beside serration and hornet, point blank u need to be on infested maps witch is a little difficult to know when your new, the other 2 can be obtained relative easy, but since new players on defense and survival take the first reward and doesn't stay(sometimes),  maybe cause they want to complete the solar system, it can be hard 

Yeah, it's a bit funky for new players at the moment. Farming Appolodorus is one way to get it (Edit: it = Serration. I am not sure about the others.), but new players won't know that. However, U14 is going to address this matter as well as others pertaining to the new player experience.

These are not mandatory at all whatsoever if you have any semblance of skill with shooters.

Don't worry, next update will make everything extremely easy and boring for newcomers with mods that fall out of enemies A******s to further steamroll for them.

May I please ask where you fine looking gentlemen got the information regarding a better newer player experience?

I can't really see why new players have trouble obtaining them when I could from soloing with ease on a Nekros. Nekros isn't that great when it comes to soloing without gears to begin with due to lack of AoE offensive skill.

Serration from doing Saturn Cassini. It isn't that hard to farm with a Karka. Just go in and out every 5 minutes since all you want to kill is the Scorpion.

Point-blank drops like trash the moment you step into Dark Sector Defense starting on Venus, which is pretty easy if you up the safe spot and just shoot.

Hornet Strike from same place as Point-blank or when you're grinding with the Serrated Gun in survival anyway. Looking for those Streamline/Flow/Intensify from the Survival Reward will pretty much guarantee you will get it from spamming Apollo.

Jump into online if they really need help.

May I please ask where you fine looking gentlemen got the information regarding a better newer player experience?

One of the streams said something about new players getting lower end easier to obtain damage % mods to make the beginning easier since apparently everyone throws their pacifiers around about Serration as if they don't have it they just can't play at all, and they want it given to them instead of earning it and using the knowledge and experience they gained while earning it to further themselves in the game.

Instead they just want it immediately.

Also, devs want the new players to get sucked in and throw money at them for platinum before they get fed up and leave because the instant gratification didn't happen quick enough.

Business wise, I get it. But it's gonna just spawn more bad players with bad habits, that have less knowledge than someone who earned a serration.

I can't really see why new players have trouble obtaining them when I could from soloing with ease on a Nekros. Nekros isn't that great when it comes to soloing without gears to begin with due to lack of AoE offensive skill.

Serration from doing Saturn Cassini. It isn't that hard to farm with a Karka. Just go in and out every 5 minutes since all you want to kill is the Scorpion.

Point-blank drops like trash the moment you step into Dark Sector Defense starting on Venus, which is pretty easy if you up the safe spot and just shoot.

Hornet Strike from same place as Point-blank or when you're grinding with the Serrated Gun in survival anyway. Looking for those Streamline/Flow/Intensify from the Survival Reward will pretty much guarantee you will get it from spamming Apollo.

Okay... *breaths out* Im trying real hard to be nice here but can you please tell me where in HELL am I going to find the Nekros frame AND play on Saturn? I JUST specified in the post above I started a new account ala from scratch. No new players will have Nekros.

Okay... *breaths out* Im trying real hard to be nice here but can you please tell me where in HELL am I going to find the Nekros frame AND play on Saturn? I JUST specified in the post above I started a new account ala from scratch. No new players will have Nekros.

AS I stated, Nekros is bad for solo without gear. I pretty much asked for a harder time to play when I started off and just cash a Nekros cause Plat was on sale (Summer) and Nekky is love, Nekky is life. It's easier to just go Excalibur or Mag. Loki is the only hard one but after you get radial disarm, you can do much better than Nekros.

The advantage he has is Desecrate for health orb which you can easily replace by using the "Gear" from equipment.

Saturn. Heck, I got there with Braton without serration. Just keep playing. The only stage I had to really go online was "Earth Defense" because I had no AoE to deal with Helios. The three starting frames have a much better chance here since they can either

1) Blind

2) Pull Crush REfresh shield

or

3) Strip the Helion.

Edited by Zeitzbach

AS I stated, Nekros is bad for solo without gear. I pretty much asked for a harder time to play when I started off and just cash a Nekros cause Plat was on sale (Summer) and Nekky is love, Nekky is life. It's easier to just go Excalibur or Mag. Loki is the only hard one but after you get radial disarm, you can do much better than Nekros.

The advantage he has is Desecrate for health orb which you can easily replace by using the "Gear" from equipment.

Saturn. Heck, I got there with Braton without serration. Just keep playing. The only stage I had to really go online was "Earth Defense" because I had no AoE to deal with Helios. The three starting frames have a much better chance here since they can either

1) Blind

or

3) Strip the Helion.

Thanks for the semi information/advice.

On a side note, dat update 14 HYPE tho.

One of the streams said something about new players getting lower end easier to obtain damage % mods to make the beginning easier since apparently everyone throws their pacifiers around about Serration as if they don't have it they just can't play at all, and they want it given to them instead of earning it and using the knowledge and experience they gained while earning it to further themselves in the game.

Without Base Damage Mod you just can't play at all, that's right. Bcs your weapon can't even scratch mid-game enemies without damage mods. And newbies don't know about "right" loadout, about "right" element and "how to get it".

I know, bcs my little brother play in this game as a newbie.

It's your prerogative if you enjoy spraying have a clip into enemies heads for kills.  A player who gets serration can move on to actual high level content and start grinding for new gear at a much more reasonable pace.  Slogging through content without basic mods isn't skillful, it's masochism and a waste of time.

You could do this and still end up grinding for basic mods for a couple weeks unless you really no life it.  Or you could get to rank 2, join a clan and get them from a clan mate.

Point blank is pretty reasonable to get,  but why waste time on any of the shotguns before you have any of the really good weapons?

1) Blind

or

3) Strip the Helion.

Actually, invisibility is loki's saving grace early on.  Pressure point is the first easily acquired damage mod so early on melee is more effective than guns.  The 400% melee damage increase while invisible builds on that.

Edited by Aggh

He already answered, but I might as well too lol

Yeah, DE has mentioned fixing up the "New Player Experience" many times (in streams and in the forums), and that's pretty much the central goal for U14. With the advent of Quest-like features and the Liset, it gives players a more gradual introduction into the game and its mechanics instead of just dumping them in and letting them fend for themselves. They have also talked about base damage mods and their absence early on, and they plan to address that.

Honestly as a relatively new player (about hmmm three months?) I have to say more important than getting Serration was to buy are better weapon. Newbies are not going to miss Serration, Hornet Strike and Point Blank. They most likely won't even know about it. Or know how they should prioritize it over another damage increase mod. So knowing where these mods drop or how hard they are to get for new players, is really not a big problem. 

If the new player is your friend and you told him all about those mods, then give them one of yours or help them farm.

But long story short, you can't miss what you never had or don't know about, so I don't really see a problem with this. There are other things to keep a new player busy.

Honestly as a relatively new player (about hmmm three months?) I have to say more important than getting Serration was to buy are better weapon. Newbies are not going to miss Serration, Hornet Strike and Point Blank. They most likely won't even know about it. Or know how they should prioritize it over another damage increase mod. So knowing where these mods drop or how hard they are to get for new players, is really not a big problem. 

If the new player is your friend and you told him all about those mods, then give them one of yours or help them farm.

But long story short, you can't miss what you never had or don't know about, so I don't really see a problem with this. There are other things to keep a new player busy.

You mostly play in teams, right?

Cause the big problem here is the solo crowd. This where the damage mod become a cry from the community.

When playing in teams this stuff doesnt matter until after passing earth because in a team you can cover each other.

Serration, Hornet Strike & Point Blank aren't even doing much for me to begin with.  I still keep them equipped but they don't necessarily increase damage output to sufficient levels.....or maybe I'm doing something wrong or not paying attention.

I obviously have Point Blank equipped on my Strun, which I'm working to 30, though it's a serious pain in the &#!.  I hate the Strun.  Once I 30 it, then I can die happy. )x

You mostly play in teams, right?

Cause the big problem here is the solo crowd. This where the damage mod become a cry from the community.

When playing in teams this stuff doesnt matter until after passing earth because in a team you can cover each other.

My post had nothing to do with playing in teams. I've had those mods for a while now, maybe within a month of playing? So it wouldn't take a new player that long to get it. Like I said, they probably would not know about it or know about its importance, so they would figure out other ways to "win". I know I did. I played the first couple of planets in groups or solo, whatever happened when I clicked on a mission. Actually one of my main complaints when I started playing was that sometimes people with overpowered weapons would join and just trivialize the content. So maybe giving everyone base damage mods would contribute to trivializing that initial content.

If the new player is hellbent on getting base damage mods, they are given 50p. They can easily buy three unranked mods from (shudder) trade chat and be good to go. But what I would advise is just get better weapons and worry about those mods later.Boss fights aside, the game doesn't get hard to solo for a while.

Edit: Also, I feel compelled to say that I am mainly a MMORPG/Strategy game player. Warframe is the first shooter game since....counter strike, that I spent any considerable amount of time playing. Getting used to aiming and moving things and shooting was a challenge. So if I can do it without base damage mods, most people will be able to do it as well.

Edited by Lotusstorm

I got my first serration from a clan-mate when I started playing (not too long ago). I eventually got another one while playing, just can't remember where. Someplace I know is inaccessible to me since I haven't cleared much of the map (aka: playing the higher levels via invites from friends).

My post had nothing to do with playing in teams. I've had those mods for a while now, maybe within a month of playing? So it wouldn't take a new player that long to get it. Like I said, they probably would not know about it or know about its importance, so they would figure out other ways to "win". I know I did. I played the first couple of planets in groups or solo, whatever happened when I clicked on a mission. Actually one of my main complaints when I started playing was that sometimes people with overpowered weapons would join and just trivialize the content. So maybe giving everyone base damage mods would contribute to trivializing that initial content.

If the new player is hellbent on getting base damage mods, they are given 50p. They can easily buy three unranked mods from (shudder) trade chat and be good to go. But what I would advise is just get better weapons and worry about those mods later.Boss fights aside, the game doesn't get hard to solo for a while.

Edit: Also, I feel compelled to say that I am mainly a MMORPG/Strategy game player. Warframe is the first shooter game since....counter strike, that I spent any considerable amount of time playing. Getting used to aiming and moving things and shooting was a challenge. So if I can do it without base damage mods, most people will be able to do it as well.

Yes, new players dont know about serration but my point is that if you mostly play on teams you are not going to feel the difficulty on the same level as a solo player. As a solo player with few mods, creds, and capacity you are severely limited on what you can do. This is why i asked that question.

if you know it exists, ask on trade chat, plenty of people will give them away. It's also fairly common to get serration from stalker (got one in like 2-3 stalker attacks on my ps4). also got one or two as defense rewards on earth, but that was U12 so it could have changed by now.

If I recall correctly, the starting 50 plat can't be used in trading at all. And you have to be mastery rank 2 to trade. So it would take buying plat or finding someone to just give them the mod and playing for at least 3 days to be able to get mods that, as you stated, most new players know nothing about. I'm not saying it wouldn't be a good use of the current things available to a new player, it just seems a bit unlikely.

If I recall correctly, the starting 50 plat can't be used in trading at all. And you have to be mastery rank 2 to trade. So it would take buying plat or finding someone to just give them the mod and playing for at least 3 days to be able to get mods that, as you stated, most new players know nothing about. I'm not saying it wouldn't be a good use of the current things available to a new player, it just seems a bit unlikely.

I apologize, I do believe you are correct about the initial plat. I take that back.

I will, however, stand by my other points. I still don't think anyone needs those mods that early in the game.