Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Emoticons/Different Fonts into Threads and Posts

Sleeptalker

I must say, it can be quite boring using the same old font and no emotes into a thread.

Emotes: It may sound childish but if you think about it, it can show what one really means (Smiley Face = Glad to help, happy, etc). I'm starting to think it might be a little bit boring with no emotes since I use them a lot to show them that I'm friendly.

Fonts: Different fonts may stand out more, and make the thread more appealing. In my opinion, I would get sick seeing the same font over and over again. I try to use different ones and I think a lot of people might do as well. I know, some people don't waste their time changing the fonts but still, what bad could it do?

What do you guys thinks about having emotes and different fonts when making a thread/replying in one?

If the dev's consider adding emotes to the forum I'd strongly suggest taking a look at Kolobok Smileys: http://www.en.kolobok.us/

They have also special smileys for dark backgrounds that look good and don't have the white contours around them as explained here: http://www.en.kolobok.us/page.php?3

Like this download here: http://www.en.kolobo...load.php?view.3

Although the author states that: "They should not be used in commercial projects without the preliminary coordination with me"...

gamer1.gif

... because we all need '98 to call, give us geocities boards with Comic Sans all over the place, 500 colours and more animated gifs than a paedophile would use to lure in innocent children on a message board for Barney, the dinosaur.

By all means, of all things this forum needs, this is not one of them.

@Ced23Ric: There is nothing wrong with a carefully picked set of emoticons and you don't need to see everyting you don't like in black OR white schemes exaggerating suggestions by wrapping them up in subtle jokes. You see a rock and call it a mountain... wise approach...

Edited by Nocturo

@Ced23Ric: There is nothing wrong with a carefully picked set of emoticons and you don't need to see everyting you don't like in black OR white schemes exaggerating suggestions by wrapping them up in subtle jokes. You see a rock and call it a mountain... wise approach...

I see, in this thread, right here, not somewhere else, animated smileys with filesizes exceeding 12KB and dimensions of 46x48 px, on a line-height of 12px. And that is just smilies. Are you accusing me of seeing ghosts while they are serving tea and lounge on the couch, watching the game?

I don't think that different fonts are needed. I would love to see some smileys on the board to be able to express my feelings visually as well - possibly static smileys only.

The classical ;) :) :D :( and :'( smilies with some game specifics, such as icons for materials or a company logo would be usefull additions, true.

Variant fonts or large animated smilies, on the other hand, are not needed for making the forums more ... appealing. It would suffice if people could follow basic rules of grammar and spelling, use punctuation correctly and threads would already look decent. Giving people who think run-on-sentences are alright more tools only results in even more chaotic formatting.

And if I am not mistaken ... Trebuchet MS Georgia ... fonts and font sizes already work just fine. ;)

You're not funny Ced23Ric, rather pitiful in your attempt to be... you can "troll" your opinion, or express it in a polite non-passive-aggressive manner. You seem not to be capable of the first so let it be (or not). It's just your opinion, nothing more.

You're not funny Ced23Ric, rather pitiful in your attempt to be... you can "troll" your opinion, or express it in a polite non-passive-aggressive manner. You seem not to be capable of the first so let it be (or not). It's just your opinion, nothing more.

My apologies if you took offense to my opinion. Allow me to rephrase it, then.

I don't think that the addition of animated smileys of various sizes and colours is meaningful or necessary. In my perception of aesthetics, it ruins the clean look of a forum - especially one as a Beta forum, which is by it's reason of existence not a pool for people to chitchat, but a platform for testers to deliver information, feedbackand bug reports to the developers. Likewise, I do not perceive a variety of fonts as a necessity, because a change in fonts within a given document is a disruption of flow of reading. On an additional note, if colours and fonts are at the click-happy ready, people will resort to writing all their posts in obnoxious and/or pseudo-individual typesetting, to cater to their egos and ideas of personal presentation. None is needed.

Examples:

"Hey guys, new to the community, happy to finally get a chance to play this!"

versus:

Hey guys, new to the community, happy to finally get a chance to play this!

-LegatoSummersXII

I agree to the point that replacements of standard smileys like the above mentioned (:D :) :( etc.) does have some merit, if their are coloured befitting the general style of the forums, i.e. blue/greyish. Also, the chosen font is chosen for clear readability, and does not need any alterations. It is clean, simple, effective. Hence, I would rather see time invested in usefull features than potentially disruptive design-breaking elements.

1.1 Sample of general bug issue

blah, blah explaining the issue. (normal color)

And so on and so forth...

You brought up an example of bad taste, not an "argument"... Seriously.... some huge feedback topics, bug related discussions etc. would be so much easier to read with proper coloring and some smileys that don't disturb the reader, but add additional emotion to the text. That's what it's all about. It's not a NEEDED feature, but a convenient one.

And, of course, there will always be ppl with bad taste... focus.gif

And bolding that line does not achieve that seperation? And as you have clearly shown, colour is available. I will be so bold as to say:

Those willing to put time and effort into text formatting to emphasize elements already know how and will do so accordingly.

And bolding that line does not achieve that seperation?

If you can't see the difference between colors and how they affect your attention and text separation, no offense, but there is no way for me to show you. Can't (and won't) lend my eyes to you.... :)

Just white bold text doesn't look any good here, at least on my monitor it makes such a slight difference that it's almost non-existent.

And as you have clearly shown, colour is available. I will be so bold as to say:

Those willing to put time and effort into text formatting to emphasize elements already know how and will do so accordingly.

It is inconvenient to use. Just the plain truth without any personal opinion whatsoever. You can't tell me that copy+pasting BBcode from some external page/source is comfortable compared to a button that gives a couple of choices to change the color of a highlighted portion of text e.g.

I just type BB code. :/

Not everyone is used to DOS-like environments (or Linux, for that matter). Even though I'm one of those who still remember 40Mb HDD's and fiddling with high mem ram settings to access the early magic of games, I find less typing convenient nowadays... :/

And... you don't really remember all the HEX numbers for your favorite colors that might be used in such a dark forum, do you? O_o

Edited by Nocturo

And... you don't really remember all the HEX numbers for your favorite colors that might be used in such a dark forum, do you? O_o

I do. It's a simple mixing system, on a hexadecimal scale. 00-00-00, R-G-B. :/

But yeah. Web design/graphical background here, too.