Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ship Module Addition (Once U14 Hits): The Tinkerer's Module (With Google Sketchup Images At A Later Date [Once I Get It Working Again])

Renegade343

Hello all, 

This thread will detail a small concept of mine about a ship module for our personal ships coming in U14. This was after the concept of my Creativity Warframe, as I (and other members) realised the various problems with spawning the creations onto the map without any clipping/bugs/mishaps. However, as the idea is quite unique for Warframe, I kept the general idea, and made a new, smaller and more useful concept. The content is below: 

The Tinkerer's Module will be a small room installed on the ship. The room will have a small work table, with a few tools for decoration. When the player approaches the work table, a context input pops up (i.e. press context input button to use the table). 

When the player is using the table, they will have a Google Sketchup like interface, with tools such as add, rotate, clone, highlight and orbit (like Google Sketchup tools, but dumbed down). On the right of the screen, there will be different block elements that the player can use to create weapons (will be called CW in this thread), a bit like the Lego Universe building tool (in terms of building elements and how the UI interface is): 

GQS6vqZ.jpg

Each block element will require different resources to construct, and the more block elements the player uses, the more resources needed to make the CW come to the game to be used in missions. For instance, an Iron building block would require the player to use 100 Ferrite to appear. There will be separate tabs for different types of weapons (Melee, Primary, Secondary), to not cause any bugs or glitches.

For CWs, the requirements needed to make the creation be able to be built and used will be a barrel, a trigger system, and a bullet type. How you build the CW will affect all the stats of the weapon, from damage to accuracy, to clip size to recoil, and even the classification of the Primary weapon (Sniper, Rifle, Shotgun etc.)/type of Melee weapon (Polearms, Machetes etc.). That means there is a very small chance two CWs crafted using this module will be exactly the same. Also, each block element will trade off a trait for something else (e.g.: A sharpened blade for Melee weapons will increase Slash damage in exchange for decreased Impact and Puncture damage). The CW can also be named by the player, but there will be a filter to stop any profanity/sexual words from being used. 

The maximum amount of CWs that can be made from this module will be two per player. If the player wants to make another one, he/she will have to delete one of the already built CW, then make said another one in the work table, turn it into a blueprint, then craft it in the Foundry. 

For building the CW from the Foundry, the amount of credits and time needed to finish it depends on how much block elements there are. The more there are, the higher the credit and time costs. 

This is just a rough idea, and will be subject to change over time and feedback. 

Please take the time to read to read this thread, and provide any feedback and suggestions. 

Renegade343

To see my other threads, please go to my profile.

Although DE wants to look into player made items I don't think this is they way they will want to do it.

-players will make messy items

-items must be shared amongst everyone in the game and will increase load time by a LOT

-the time to put this is game, the effort, the bugs, the possible exploits. They won't want to do it.

This idea is incorporated in a number of other games (Cube World, should that ever receive an update)

Warframe just doesn't feel like the right place for this kind of feature.

Edited by cam-o-flage20

Although DE wants to look into player made items I don't think this is they way they will want to do it.

-players will make messy items

-items must be shared amongst everyone in the game and will increase load time by a LOT

-the time to put this is game, the effort, the bugs, the possible exploits. They won't want to do it.

Well, for the second point, it is only to the player that created it, so that is that point gone. 

And DE(L) could start small first, then slowly expand. It does not have to be one lump sum. 

This idea is incorporated in a number of other games (Cube World, should that ever receive an update)

Warframe just doesn't feel like the right place for this kind of feature.

We do craft a few things (weapons, Warframes, gear), so it is just a small extension of it. 

We do craft a few things (weapons, Warframes, gear), so it is just a small extension of it. 

I am under the impression what you want is the customisation like this https://picroma.com/cubeworld (scroll down to the weapons)

If this is the case, there is a huge difference between the crafting system (if you can call it that) we have now, and what you are suggesting.

And anyone who sees the item in the game will need to download it, so unless everyone is running around with a generic looking weapon while it's all fancy on your side, the load times are gonna take a hit.

Not to mention that the style that people will be limited to with this won't fit the theme of warframe, lots of smooth round edges and detailed objects. The art team will have a fit.

It's a cool idea and can work well, just not in warframe (seriously take a look at cube world I think you will like it, given it actually starts providing what it promised, they have been inactive for a while but said they were working on something big)

Edited by cam-o-flage20

I am under the impression what you want is the customisation like this https://picroma.com/cubeworld (scroll down to the weapons)

If this is the case, there is a huge difference between the crafting system (if you can call it that) we have now, and what you are suggesting.

And anyone who sees the item in the game will need to download it, so unless everyone is running around with a generic looking weapon while it's all fancy on your side, the load times are gonna take a hit.

Not to mention that the style that people will be limited to with this won't fit the theme of warframe, lots of smooth round edges and detailed objects. The art team will have a fit.

It's a cool idea and can work well, just not in warframe (seriously take a look at cubed world I think you will like it, given it actually starts giving what it promised)

No. That is what I am not advocating for. 

What I am advocating is just for the player to make his/her own weapons, but without that amount of detail (with Lego Universe, loading times are quite quick, since it uses preset bricks, meaning even creations using just modular bricks will still have a good loading time, so we could incorporate that feature into the concept). 

Of course, we could always set a limit meter for how much building blocks there are (but must be a good compromise/balance between creativity and loading times), then making loading times acceptable while not limiting player creativity.