Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Stealth 2.0

Shawn_Carter

So, you've recently just gone on an Exterminate mission, and decided to stick to the shadows this time. You decide to go kill this helpless crewman. You decide to use your bow, and shoot him in the head, RIGHT in front of 3 other crewman! What? How did they not see that? This is too easy...

One of the problems with Stealth in Warframe at this moment is that it is extremely easy. (If you find stealth hard, I pray for you :') ) So this thread is for Ideas on how to make it better! I'll start with a couple new features that may come in the future.

Better AI

Enemies are way too easy, meaning that I can walk right in front of them without them noticing! A better AI would fix this. Making them be more aware of their surroundings. Enemies could hear footsteps, and if an enemy makes a noise, surrounding enemies can hear, but a quick silent sword slash will surpress their screams.

Distractions

Some kind of weapon, gear, equipment could be used as a distraction to lure enemies to that specific location. Example: You know DE's fireworks? Make them a projectile, throw them, enemies are distracted and are focused on the firework, making them vulnerable.

Environmental Takedowns

Imagine you're under a staircase, and a grineer lancer is casually strolling down that staircase, wouldn't it be cool to pull him by his legs, which results in either breaking the staircase, killing the grineer, or tripping the grineer, giving you a chance to break his neck, use your melee, etc.

Different Takedown Choices

Imagine before you take down that pesky Grineer Eviscerator, you have options! Yeah I said it, Options! This could be done in conjunction with Melee 2.0. As in, one of the combos could be: CUT-THROAT - Hold E (behind clueless enemy). Lets say that's a dagger combo, your Warframe (from behind) would grab the enemy's neck, and stab it, then viciously slamming him on the ground. Another one could use a key combinations of Shift + E, Ctrl + E, etc.

WILL BE UPDATED WITH MORE INFORMATION! IF AN IDEA IS TAKEN BY A REPLY TO THE POST, THE POSTER WILL BE CREDITED!

Edited by Shawn_Carter

the problem is not really about enemies not noticing mates killed infront of them, but when they do and enter semi-alerted state. i suppose DE removed this feature to avoid dealing with AI troubles.

on other note - yeah could be great, but for that we also need indicators if we are seen by enemies or not or FOV on radar atleast

Stealth is based off of death in silence, not jus the stealth kill pop ups in melee, its almost impossible to do terminus using only melee, I've tried, and my highest streak was 12-14, stealth is good as it is, although I wish we could do more stealth animations, like when one goes down, we can shoot the one who is about to turn, kind of cool like that, take note from tom clancy splinter cell blacklist.

yea sometimes they react to the death of teammates in front of them but sometimes they just don't and carry on like an idiot, but when they do notice their teammates death.. they can immediately know where are you shooting from, even you are on the far end of the tile-set *like around 35m away i guess* and that is very annoying.. so, yes, need an better AI and add the *alert* meter bar when you are not detected by them. at least make them become like the enemies in Far Cry 3 or Watch Dogs... and oh yea and an enemy alerted sound indicator just like in Metal Gear Series would be a great lil' thing...

Edited by Tar_Spit_Fire

Stealth is based off of death in silence, not jus the stealth kill pop ups in melee, its almost impossible to do terminus using only melee, I've tried, and my highest streak was 12-14, stealth is good as it is, although I wish we could do more stealth animations, like when one goes down, we can shoot the one who is about to turn, kind of cool like that, take note from tom clancy splinter cell blacklist.

pfff thats easy, done that as rhino. the only problem is when enemies stuck in each other. everything else is just patience

yea sometimes they react to the death of teammates in front of them but sometimes they just don't and carry on like an idiot, but when they do notice their teammates death.. they can immediately know where are you shooting from, even you are on the far end of the tile-set *like around 35m away i guess* and that is very annoying.. so, yes, need an better AI and add the *alert* meter bar when you are not detected by them. at least make them become like the enemies in Far Cry 3 or Watch Dogs... and oh yea and an enemy alerted sound indicator just like in Metal Gear Series would be a great lil' thing...

I would love to see this as well, maybe make it so bodies can be picked up and hidden, like in Manhunt? But DE would have to make bodies a permanent entity, which would cause much lag.

I would love to see this as well, maybe make it so bodies can be picked up and hidden, like in Manhunt? But DE would have to make bodies a permanent entity, which would cause much lag.

lag is not a problem - the spawn is

EDIT: if you want i can give you link to old ex-official stealth gameplay & feedback thread to gather some ideas

Edited by n7snk

If you kill an enemy right in front of his buddies, they either completely ignore it, or see it, and not only that, they know EXACTLY where you are, even if you used a sniper rifle with sound suppressing mod maxed, and killed said enemy from the other side of the level.

They might not be very bright or whatever, but they definitely have no problem locating you. And knowing exactly where you are even after losing visual of you.

And then they sound the alarm, their buddies come guns blazing straight towards you, even if you're hidden in a small room that is not in their path or in the area where they spotted you. They're either completely oblivious to what's happening 2 feet in front of them, or able to pinpoint your position at all times. It's both hilarious and extremely frustrating.^^'

pfff thats easy, done that as rhino. the only problem is when enemies stuck in each other. everything else is just patience

Frame choice changes nothing to stealth, unless Loki or Ash. Doing a "stealth" mission with Rhino is nothing to brag about, sorry.^^'

It's not that steath is too easy or hard. The AI has not been programmed to react to stealthy actions because there's somehow no difference between acting stealthily and acting noisily for the AI.

If you're on the sensors, AI will predict your position. If you're not, they will act as you never have been here. However, when talking about tactical ninja infiltration mission, enemies should have several states of alert so as to react properly. This is not likely to happen now in the game with the current AI: sometimes, they spot you when they aren't supposed to spot you, and when they're supposed to spot you, there's a chance they won't. 

So it's kinda difficult to enjoy a true stealth gameplay. Because you can just eliminate your foes in silence. There's no other options to run a stealthy mission.

(I am a proud fan of Metal Gear Series and I assume that I know what is stealth in a videogame. Although, it is only my opinion.)

Frame choice changes nothing to stealth, unless Loki or Ash. Doing a "stealth" mission with Rhino is nothing to brag about, sorry.^^'

complete terminus on stealth with rhino melee only (no glaive), no sentinels and no hud and then upload it to youtube. i already did.

if it's so easy i bet you to do it. come on.

Edited by n7snk

complete terminus on stealth with rhino melee only, no sentinels and no hud and then upload it to youtube. i already did.

if it's so easy i bet you to do it. come on.

could you just stop bragging and start discussing how to make stealthy gameplay better? its not like no one can do that in the game. *Jesus*

I think the issue with stealth lies in the fact that you can't ever predict when enemies are going to see you. Sometimes you can be right in front of them and have them not see you, other times they can see you from behind four closed doors while you're crouched behind cover a mile away. Stealth IS hard because it's so unpredictable. Unless you run loki/ash or a Shade and go invis 24/7, it's next to impossible. Sure you can kill three dudes while smack in front of them and have them not notice you, but the fourth guy sees you from terminus and sets off the alarm from a locked bunker 4 miles below the surface of mercury, and when one guys sees you, suddenly they all know exactly where you are and start firing. Sure you don't die from it most of the time, but you're detected, and well, that's not really stealth any more.