Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Real Life Homing Bullets

CaveCricket48

It seems that the ammunition used in he Warframe universe is a "one-size-fits-all" type, so that complicates things further.

Though it's really just for gameplay convenience, so...

That's definitely convenience for gameplay *Cough ogris and penta cough*. If it really is a one size fits all then I want my Braton to shoot out rocket covered bolts.

Aye exactly. Also lighter to carry I would imagine, since guns are heavy @(*()$ things. 

Depends on the gun. My Mossberg 500 will make your arms sore if you're carrying it around long enough, but AR15s without a bajillion attachments are actually fairly light. Lot of the body is aluminum, not steel.

Also,

So, to everyone complaining that it's not terribly useful, who gives a crap?

It's a homing bullet. Think about how radical that is. Holy HeII that's nuts.

In the split second it's fired it can not only make the calculations required to re-aim itself, it can also adjust it's flight path with enough time to hit the target moving at what, the speed of sound? That's nuts. I don't care if it's useless, you've got to appreciate the science.

Edit: OH and I forgot to mention, THEY CRAMMED ALL THAT INTO A BULLET.

This, so much.
Edited by CaveCricket48

Depends on the gun. My Mossberg 500 will make your arms sore if you're carrying it around long enough, but AR15s without a bajillion attachments are actually fairly light. Lot of the body is aluminum, not steal

True but this could potentially be lighter, since it would mostly be magnetic and possibly no firing mechanism.

Don't quote me on this, but I would imagine it would mostly be a body filled with magnets with some sort of power source.

Or going into railgun territory, a body filled with magnets with a magazine loading small bits of metal into one end, and a power source to start the electromagnets. That would definitely be heavier, but goddamn, having a portable weapon that can shoot at mach 2 is not something to be #*($%%@ with.

In the split second it's fired it can not only make the calculations required to re-aim itself, it can also adjust it's flight path with enough time to hit the target moving at what, the speed of sound? That's nuts. I don't care if it's useless, you've got to appreciate the science.

Edit: OH and I forgot to mention, THEY CRAMMED ALL THAT INTO A BULLET.

Who's complaining? It's called observation and opinion.

I personally am not particularly amazed by it. I can appreciate the technology, but eh.

True but this could potentially be lighter, since it would mostly be magnetic and possibly no firing mechanism.

Don't quote me on this, but I would imagine it would mostly be a body filled with magnets with some sort of power source.

Or going into railgun territory, a body filled with magnets with a magazine loading small bits of metal into one end, and a power source to start the electromagnets. That would definitely be heavier, but goddamn, having a portable weapon that can shoot at mach 2 is not something to be #*($%%@ with.

I think it would work as having the body contain magnets and a built in source of material (because plasma is still matter) along with a battery to power it all.

So it would be rather light, probably.

Just going to point at the Flux Rifle in this case, but whoever designed its model knows a bit about electronics. The yellow ring you see in it heavily resembles a toroidal transformer, which is pretty much a solid hunk of iron shaped like a ring, not at all light-weight. I don't know how the other corpus weapons function, but if they use similar mechanics, I can't imagine them being any lighter than a ~6 pound rifle.

Edited by CaveCricket48

Edit: OH and I forgot to mention, THEY CRAMMED ALL THAT INTO A BULLET.

I'm assuming you're focusing on the fact that bullets are tiny, but also remember people, bullets are at the bad end of an EXPLOSION.

Aye exactly. Also lighter to carry I would imagine, since guns are heavy @(*()$ things. 

on the contrary, as often the internet forgets, the laws of physics denote the more Energy is contained in a place, the more volatile and dense it will be.

Batteries that run longer and output a higher Energy rate are heavier than ones the run shorter with lower Energy rates, period. we can't change the laws of physics.

so a battery that was going to be sufficient to provide hundreds of Amps per shot, and last about as long as the 5+1 Magazines the average Marine carries, well, that's going to be one dense as hell battery. 

Capacitors can help change the way your batteries must run, but the Capacitors will be pretty dense in order to allow the main power storage to be lighter, so it's a net 'basically the same'.

Gunpowder has been used for ages because the Potential Energy it contains is stored in a very light form, as the expanding gases don't need to be 'stored', only force applied to the existing gas.

but, there needs to be considerable containment, very heavy barrels, or more modernly, medium barrels and contained cartridges.

just because it doesn't carry bullets doesn't mean it's going to be superlight, you still need to contain Energy, and physics doesn't let you create miracles. you're never going to see an Energy Weapon that has Energy Storage that weighs almost nothing, as a superlight battery would wear out very quickly and not last long in combat, meaning having a lot of batteries, and you're back at square one.