Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Stance "combos" Aren't Appealing To Me

JHarlequin

Since they were implemented, I haven't found enough use for stances, and have come to the opinion that some of the details have just been lacking.

First off, chaining together attacks is a combo.  The "combos" that are active when you level up a stance and follow the sequence of command presses are more of an attack string.  It is a specific action that doesn't chain together with a real combo quite as well as just mashing the attack button.  You can get a lot higher combo multiplier by just running and sliding around and mashing the e button then you can get for trying to connect an attack string that locks you into a specific move pattern.

The other issue that seems more ridiculous to me has only occurred once from what I have seen, but it is basically when one combo on the stance has a command string that will end up making it override the other combos.  The example is the attack strings from the Reaping Spiral stance for Scythes.

Abyssal Automaton (e,e,e, pause, e, e) has at times failed to keep connecting attacks unless I hold forward to keep approaching my target, while Eternal Nocturne (e, forward+e, e) since it has forward+e as part of it's string will be the attack string activated if I am trying to keep approaching during the first combo string.  This means that either I just hope that Abyssal Automaton actually hits each time or I have to ignore it to stick with the attack string I like less.  My solution was actually just to level up a second stance mod only just enough to get the first combo and not the other combo.

Overall, more of the "combos" should be easier to chain into a continuous combo, or they aren't really a combo, as well as it might be more useful if we could disable some of the strings that we don't like or they just shouldn't ever include forward+e as an activator.

Since they were implemented, I haven't found enough use for stances, and have come to the opinion that some of the details have just been lacking.

First off, chaining together attacks is a combo.  The "combos" that are active when you level up a stance and follow the sequence of command presses are more of an attack string.  It is a specific action that doesn't chain together with a real combo quite as well as just mashing the attack button.  You can get a lot higher combo multiplier by just running and sliding around and mashing the e button then you can get for trying to connect an attack string that locks you into a specific move pattern.

The other issue that seems more ridiculous to me has only occurred once from what I have seen, but it is basically when one combo on the stance has a command string that will end up making it override the other combos.  The example is the attack strings from the Reaping Spiral stance for Scythes.

Abyssal Automaton (e,e,e, pause, e, e) has at times failed to keep connecting attacks unless I hold forward to keep approaching my target, while Eternal Nocturne (e, forward+e, e) since it has forward+e as part of it's string will be the attack string activated if I am trying to keep approaching during the first combo string.  This means that either I just hope that Abyssal Automaton actually hits each time or I have to ignore it to stick with the attack string I like less.  My solution was actually just to level up a second stance mod only just enough to get the first combo and not the other combo.

Overall, more of the "combos" should be easier to chain into a continuous combo, or they aren't really a combo, as well as it might be more useful if we could disable some of the strings that we don't like or they just shouldn't ever include forward+e as an activator.

maybe they plan to add a lot more combo for each stances, and thoose combo will be able to be combined together,

You guys have to realize this is melee 2.0 v1 . There'll be more changes to it in the future, so give DE your feedback constructively (like OP did) and I'm sure in the future there'll be another revamp of it!

Cheers!

the problem is the base is flawed. for all intents and purposes the work they had shown seemed good, but then they threw it away for the current system which just isn't viable currently.

and by viable i mean it doesn't mix with the gun system, and gets overshadowed by the gun system on top.

Having a flawed base system has never stopped them from improving before. It was called melee 2.0 for a reason; melee 1.0's base was flawed.

It can and probably will happen again. There are just bigger fish to fry atm.

EDIT: Just thought I'd add that I don't think the base of melee 2.0 is flawed, it's just a very rough outline at the moment. With more polishing and cleaner mechanics, it would be 10x better (aka. interuptable combos, more to dodging mechanics, more practical combo controls, glitches, damage/speed balance pass, etc.)

Edited by Momoynator

Having a flawed base system has never stopped them from improving before. It was called melee 2.0 for a reason; melee 1.0's base was flawed.

It can and probably will happen again. There are just bigger fish to fry atm.

EDIT: Just thought I'd add that I don't think the base of melee 2.0 is flawed, it's just a very rough outline at the moment. With more polishing and cleaner mechanics, it would be 10x better (aka. interuptable combos, more to dodging mechanics, more practical combo controls, glitches, damage/speed balance pass, etc.)

Don't forget quickshooting.

+1 OP

IMHO the "combo" system was a poorly implemented mechanic and i would have much preferred some of the earlier melee 2.0 ideas that were later scrapped unfortunately =[

Yeah :/

One of the devstreams said that the original idea was that the mods we have now were going to be individual moves that we could put in custom made combos. I can see how difficult that would have been to implement properly. You'd have to make sure none of the moves you gave your sword made any of the base combos look janky. They would have to be able to flow. But it could have opened up a lot of doors for player creativity that would have made Melee 2.0 far more interesting.

Channeling is also a big copout, but I'll discuss that in another thread.

yea the wait/hold or +any direction key combo is really hard to perform in the heat of battle.. so may be you could suggest a light and heavy attack combo which will somewhat makes the combo easier to perform and less frustrating to memorize it.. *for example: your melee channel toggle is 'Q' and light melee is 'E' and heavy melee is 'left click' so your combo will be like fully 'e' or 'left click' spamming or 'E,E,left click, left click' etc etc.... 

*and oh yea, a aerial combo will be nice too..

theres a way to force combos without executing them on a keyboard...

a secret ill take to the grave

Wow that was very helpful.  Thank you for letting us know there is a "secret" to help out with the combos and then go on to say you'll never tell anyone.  I'm sure many people on both the internet and in real life ask you for help and advice when they really need it.

You guys have to realize this is melee 2.0 v1 . There'll be more changes to it in the future, so give DE your feedback constructively (like OP did) and I'm sure in the future there'll be another revamp of it!

Cheers!

The problem is that honestly and brutally speaking, DE "gone and f.ucked it up".  We were promised this awesome system that would make melee powerful, fun, and relevant, vs just shooting everything with our guns, and instead we get these lame "stances" that have to be farmed for and many times they are extremely rare drops from extremely rare enemies and then they may only have one or two combos (I'm looking at you Iron Phoenix and Crimson Dervish, frekking basic sword stances, yet they're rare with only one or two combos and they iron phoenix one is quite boring).  And then when you use them, your stamina gets completely drained because "swinging a weapon around to deal less damage than just shooting everyone makes you tired" and that goes double for the heavy weapons and dual weapons because they drain more stamina.  

The combos are a pain to pull off because the method of "pause", "hold", and directional keys such as "down" are downright terrible and clunky.  And once again, by the time you do that fancy combo right, all the bad guys are dead because your team mate just shot them all in the head with his Boltor Prime.

Oh and while you were running up to fight them all with your sword you got in the same area code as a energy eximus and now have a disrupted HUD and no energy because "f.uck you, that's why".

Oh look Stalker, G3, Zanuka,  are dropping in, let's fight them with our fancy combos and see how that goes!   Hahaha, good luck with that buddy.

But hey maybe we can try them on these cool new and reworked bosses, oh wait, we can't do that either because these new bosses all have invincible shields that only drop for a few seconds and then you can only hurt them by shooting a tiny little weak spot that you don't even have a chance of getting close to if you try to use melee.  Yeah I'll stick with my Boltor Prime and use melee as mastery fodder until it can be done right.

The Sword Alone?, it's more like The Sword is Forever Alone,  in the garbage pile because it's useless.