Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

/friend Add [De]Glen

[DE]Glen

Earlier today RedText invited people to add me to their friends list. This wasn't a prank (although if it was it would have been a pretty funny one); this actually help fix several bugs.

Since then I've gotten many PMs asking me what I was fixing: since it's pretty impractical to answer them each in turn I figured I'd better post something quickly to explain.

The core bug I was fixing was the bogus "Failed to send game invitation" error you'd get when trying to get someone into your mission from your friends list or recent players list. It turns out this was related to having both enough friends on your contact list in missions and those friends being far enough away from you that their ping is bad. When our local guys tried to reproduce this problem they had a difficult time because the lab is all on a LAN and they aren't often simulating network problems while in the menus (they also tend to have only a small number of active sessions running at once).

It turned out that the "rich presence" queries your friends-list runs to show you what your friends are doing was interfering with your ability to send invitations; the more active sessions, the higher ping, the longer this interference would last. 

As players from around the world started showing up on my contact list in varying states of play and with varying pings this bug became easy to reproduce and fixing it was easy; the presence queries no longer interfere with your invitation and as a bonus some aspects of your session state should replicate to your friends faster now.

So if you responded to RedText's call for assistance you probably contributed to fixing this bug (thank you!). 

Finally: while I appreciate the love, please don't be offended if I don't respond to PMs or accept your invitation to play -- I'm currently getting a fire-hose of these and there's no way I can keep up. On the weekends and evenings I often do play, though, so if you see me online feel free to jump into my session (no need to ask, just join). 

this is why the community loves you Glen. 

The warbrony who fixes our game and is down to play with whoever, whenever. 

'No need to ask, just join.'

What is love?

I think we all know. 

Developers aren't really our friends; we may respect, recognize and admire them and their work, but at the end of the day, they're the product creators, and we''re the product consumers. Hence, any "friendship" with em is strictly professional, eh? Their work in improving the game though, is always a good thing.

That or I have waaay too many trust issues. 

edit; That moment I realised this thread was from a developer O.o Please don't kill me community nuuuuu

Edited by Somedude1000

Developers aren't really our friends; we may respect, recognize and admire them and their work, but at the end of the day, they're the product creators, and we''re the product consumers. Hence, any "friendship" with em is strictly professional, eh? Their work in improving the game though, is always a good thing.

That or I have waaay too many trust issues. 

edit; That moment I realised this thread was from a developer O.o Please don't kill me community nuuuuu

I know how you feel bro. But developers are humans too you know? I'm sure they still have some emotions 

Edited by P.W.F

I think I will keep an excerpt of [DE]Glen's topic handy for quoting it to people who fail to understand that not every circumstance can be tested and isolated in the studio.

In relation to the bug; I did find that it sometimes just takes a while until the connection is established, for whatever reasons. For example, if a friend of mine and I play together, and we lose connection due to host migration, we cannot immediately invite us back. It takes a few minutes until either of us can get an invite through. I also noticed this strikes true with the friend list infopop, showing what everyone is doing. So far, if I see anyone just at the status of "playing", then I know I can't join them or they can't join me. If I see the exact mission they play, then it is no problem. This hasn't anything to do with solo mode, as these people are either playing online or private.

The core bug I was fixing was the bogus "Failed to send game invitation" error you'd get when trying to get someone into your mission from your friends list or recent players list. It turns out this was related to having both enough friends on your contact list in missions and those friends being far enough away from you that their ping is bad. When our local guys tried to reproduce this problem they had a difficult time because the lab is all on a LAN and they aren't often simulating network problems while in the menus (they also tend to have only a small number of active sessions running at once).

It turned out that the "rich presence" queries your friends-list runs to show you what your friends are doing was interfering with your ability to send invitations; the more active sessions, the higher ping, the longer this interference would last. 

While I have noticed this problem, there is another concern in which I wish to bring up.

Many times while trying to group up with people on my friends list to go into the void, Multiple times they get a "failed to join session". After 4 or 5 tries, they eventually get into the lobby. Is this a bug as well or simply connectivity issues?

Earlier today RedText invited people to add me to their friends list. This wasn't a prank (although if it was it would have been a pretty funny one); this actually help fix several bugs.

Since then I've gotten many PMs asking me what I was fixing: since it's pretty impractical to answer them each in turn I figured I'd better post something quickly to explain.

As players from around the world started showing up on my contact list in varying states of play and with varying pings this bug became easy to reproduce and fixing it was easy; the presence queries no longer interfere with your invitation and as a bonus some aspects of your session state should replicate to your friends faster now.

So if you responded to RedText's call for assistance you probably contributed to fixing this bug (thank you!). 

Finally: while I appreciate the love, please don't be offended if I don't respond to PMs or accept your invitation to play -- I'm currently getting a fire-hose of these and there's no way I can keep up. On the weekends and evenings I often do play, though, so if you see me online feel free to jump into my session (no need to ask, just join). 

thanks for details :)

I'm glad that I could help you squash the little bug.

I tried reading the post, but I kept vomitting uncontrollably because of the avatar and the comments afterwards.

Need a glass of water? That should help your stomach.