Nerdy Physics Stuffs

HoppsWilde

So using some complex physics (Force = Mass x Acceleration), I've found out several interesting things (I'm also going to assume the Paris bow fires and arrow at 300m/s because most rail guns fire at hypersonic speeds. Since there's no audible sonic boom, we're assuming that it does not break the sound barrier. I'm also assuming there is no atmosphere as there is no damage drop-off, meaning that there is no wind resistance.)

The Gorgon fires rounds similar to the .30-06 Springfield or .300 Winchester Magnum (I'm eventually going to find out the size of all these guns, alright? GIve me some time.)

You think THIS is nerdy? I have a thread that's nothing more than defining ecological habits of Sand Skates and Kubrow...

Waiting for more critters in general, I want to see my thread get bigger, really, more critters gives me more things to practice on xD

EDIT: by your definition, I am a Geek, not a nerd. Apologies.

Edited by Mewfan

So using some complex physics (Force = Mass x Acceleration), I've found out several interesting things (I'm also going to assume the Paris bow fires and arrow at 300m/s because most rail guns fire at hypersonic speeds. Since there's no audible sonic boom, we're assuming that it does not break the sound barrier. I'm also assuming there is no atmosphere as there is no damage drop-off, meaning that there is no wind resistance.)

The Gorgon fires rounds similar to the .30-06 Springfield or .300 Winchester Magnum (I'm eventually going to find out the size of all these guns, alright? GIve me some time.)

How does F=ma give you the velocity of the paris bow's arrows? Also we can't use that since when it hits an enemy it keeps going so mass has changed therefore F=pd/dt would work better.

Since it doesn't slow down we can assume that the added mass of enemies to the arrow doesn't really affect it momentum. Considering a grineer is probably close to 100kg that must mean that paris arrows are super dense. (And have a mass of like 1000 kg but likely much more)

This is why video game physics doesn't work.

A better way to find velocity would be to time it across a measured distance.

Edited by immolator1001

How does F=ma give you the speed of the paris bow? Also we can't use that since when it hits an enemy it keeps going so mass has changed therefore F=pd/dt would work better.

Since it doesn't slow down we can assume that the added mass of enemies to the arrow doesn't really affect it momentum. Considering a grineer is probably close to 100kg that must mean that paris arrows are super dense. 

Flying mechanics of arrows are weird. They are affected by gravitaional force, but they are not affected by simple air or any other substance resistance ( except when they meet the walls ).

Game logic doesnt leave much for scientific aproach.

Edited by RoboDoge

Flying mechanics of arrows are weird. They are affected by gravitaional force, but they are not affected by simple air or any other substance resistance ( except when they meet the walls ).

Game logic doesnt leave much for scientific aproach.

I mean arrows have a very small cross section, and the game as a limited max distance (50m i think) so there wouldn't really be a purpose in programming air resistance, but ya you can't really do "physics" on these if they don't follow the laws of physics.

I'm going by the definition of damage. I'm going for that each point of damage caused is the equivalence of 0.0455 N, based on the face that an arrow weights about 22.75 g and that it travels at about 300 m/s. Using that calculation, I found that the Gorgon has about 1.14 N per bullet. With that information, I next found the size of it. Using the measurements of a Grinner marine (typical USMC height is 5'7", or 170cm), I found that an Excalibur is about the same height. Using his height as a gauge, I found that each clip in the Gorgon is approximately 8.7 cm long. Assuming the walls are about .1 cm each side, then we can assume it's about 8.5 cm long cartridges, which is equivalent to the size of a .30-06 or .300. I used that to find the acceleration (81.4 m/s). By the way, this was entirely off-topic. I did all of this calculation to find out how a Zephyr deflects bullets, and I found that it should be magnetic fields.

And in responce, I did this in the Game Theory fashion, where I take video game logic and try to make sense of it.

I'm going by the definition of damage. I'm going for that each point of damage caused is the equivalence of 0.0455 N, based on the face that an arrow weights about 22.75 g and that it travels at about 300 m/s. Using that calculation, I found that the Gorgon has about 1.14 N per bullet. With that information, I next found the size of it. Using the measurements of a Grinner marine (typical USMC height is 5'7", or 170cm), I found that an Excalibur is about the same height. Using his height as a gauge, I found that each clip in the Gorgon is approximately 8.7 cm long. Assuming the walls are about .1 cm each side, then we can assume it's about 8.5 cm long cartridges, which is equivalent to the size of a .30-06 or .300. I used that to find the acceleration (81.4 m/s). By the way, this was entirely off-topic. I did all of this calculation to find out how a Zephyr deflects bullets, and I found that it should be magnetic fields.

And in responce, I did this in the Game Theory fashion, where I take video game logic and try to make sense of it.

Where did you get that 1 point of damage is equal to 0.0445 N?

Paris does 150 points of damage, and each arrow has 6.82 N of force. Division. Voila.

Wow sass much? Where does it say that each arrow has 6.82N of force?

Also different types of damage clearly have difference amounts of force associated with them (which is why impact knocks people down)

This also doesn't make sense since that means an electric weapon has force...

More importantly the paris clearly has much more force that 6.82 newtons because it can impale people to walls.

If we assume that to be true and say they average person can punch at 6.7 m/s (http://www.scientificamerican.com/podcast/episode/5538765e-e7f2-99df-393e0a0cd7821157/)

Then someone could easily punch a grineer so hard they fly into a wall.

Edited by immolator1001

That's what my calculations predicted. But again, this is a fictional universe. We have no idea how this works.

The electrical part is written in the entry for Paris, saying that it uses electrical energy to propel the arrows.

What the hell?

Seriously?

Garbage logic.

Such garbage logic.

First of all, the "sound barrier" varies with the specific composition of the atmosphere.

It's completely useless to reference the sound barrier at the surface atmosphere of Earth.

The interior atmosphere of a Grineer/Corpus ship could be drastically different, for all you know.

Secondly, why do you even bother talking about sound barriers when you go on to conclude that "there is no atmosphere"?

You think sound exists in a vacuum or something? You must be joking.

If there's "no atmosphere", then there's no sound, and there would never be an "audible sonic boom".

You just nullified your own reasoning.

Finally, there's clearly an atmosphere, otherwise all these survival missions I've been doing are just part of some huge air-conspiracy.

Also I hear sounds.

That's what my calculations predicted. But again, this is a fictional universe. We have no idea how this works.

The electrical part is written in the entry for Paris, saying that it uses electrical energy to propel the arrows.

What numbers did you literally start with?

And the paris is said to be accelerated magnetically still using a physical object to deliver force. Electricity doesn't do that.

Fine let's figure out the velocity of the Paris
Equations
F=dp/dt=ma
p=mv
v=x/t

Given

Mass of grineer~100kg they are big bulky and covered in thick armor
Time to accelerate grineer by arrow~0.01 sec it's pretty fast
Longest possible distance 50m
Time to travel distance~2 sec

So v(of grineer WHO HAS BEEN IMPALED BY THE ARROW AND IS FLYING TOWARDS THE WALL)=25m/s
p(of grineer)=100kg*25m/s=2500Ns
Assuming the grineer is stand still initially then F=dp/dt=2500/0.01=250,000N! This is why you can do physics with games. Even if we halve the mass of a grineer and multiply the time to accelerate by 10 that's still 1250N.

Edit: Cleared up my definition of velocity.

Edited by immolator1001

at first I thought this topic was serious but then I read the first sentence. Complex and F = m * a in the same sentence. O_o

I shoot my arrow straight up in the air and wait an hour for it to come down, but I do not see it.

you're the guy that would enter the formule and come with a completely ridiculous answer saying the arrow must have had at least that speed at launch in order to not return within the hour, but not thinking realistically what the number represents.