Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How To Work Bosses Around Melee 2.0

Pbrandon1

Ok, so many people have complained that with the coming of Melee 2.0, it has brought us sword alone but also proved that it is impossible to try to take down a couple of bosses with the Sword Alone only.

With Vay Hek, trying to take him down with a melee weapon has proven difficult for others.(INB4 a pro comes in saying, "I took down Vay Hek easily with a Skana only.") Which good for you sir, please move along and go show your prowess to someone else.(Sorry to that individual who probably did). Lephantis is also quite difficult now, others say impossible to do without a Primary and including Sargus Ruk.

Many believed that they were given Sword Alone and then just slapped in the face with ideas that were interesting to others but insulted the Sword Alone people. So, here are my ideas:

Vay Hek: With Vay Hek flying all over the place and him only having one sorta small spot on his face and little thing on his back to hit, trying to get a good hit in seems pretty hard. Well, with my idea, we will have another option for those who wanna go the Sword Alone.

Vay Hek will now become staggered when his takes a direct hit to his suit during his flying phase. Get a good hit in and Vay Hek will stagger a bit then come back his senses. With a little suit of his, you would wonder what would happen if he got hit with a melee weapon. Now, once you get three hits in, he will stagger again but crash to the ground, opening up his mask. Now his vulnerable to any form of attack towards his face and now open. If he takes enough damage to move to his next flying phase, he will amplify his voice to screeching noise, staggering enemies and Tenno nearby, then he will fly out of his position and move on to the next place. If he hasn't had his health reduced, he just pick himself up from his position and continue fighting. Abilities like Hydroids Tentacles, Nyx's Absorb, and Zephyr's Tornadoes can both have the ability to cause him to stagger for one.

This may require a rework of the movement system we know but you are working on it and this will at least not but the melee players in the dark.   

Sargus Ruk: Complaints here that due to him having phases on his body that can't be damage at all, it makes it quite hard to even damage him. This one may probably be resolved with having those areas be able to take damage with melee weapons, but I will try to think on this more. 

Lephantis: Now Lephantis is a boss with three parts to him, each that attack differently on their own right. So, it would make sense to have to approach each one differently with melee.

Ancient Grineer- The Ancient Grineer will be attacked differently with melee by allowing the time when he slams his scythe down into the ground be extended and allow for the Tenno to walk on it and attack his weak point. When he sweeps down near the ground, a timed ground slam will cause the Ancient Grineer to stumble and get his scythe stuck into the floor board, allowing another chance to walk on his scythe and attack his weak point.

Ancient Infested- The Ancient Infested will be handled where you can knock back its grenades back at it. Get a timed hit and it will knock back at his face and detonate, knocking him out and sending him to the ground, where you are open to attack him.

Ancient Corpus- The Ancient is an interesting one. My suggestion is probably to have the infested pods apart of the Corpus, so that if you cause damage to them, then it will damage the Corpus Ancient. Or, have it where you can wait for enemies to spawn that will be apart of the enemy and damage it or wait until it opens up it's mouth again and shoot into it's mouth, providing two ways to damage it.

The second phase will just be basically those combination of ideas put together.

So, like I said before, these ideas maybe good, they maybe bad, give me your feedback, maybe even present your own idea.

Thank you.

There is a thread issuing a challenge to play the entire map in melee. The OP has done that including the bosses and gave tips on how to do just that. When I free my pc I will link it here for you. Btw he used a Skana. Everything started unranked and leveled with the game. No sentinel. NO POWERS. Just. a. Skana.  

There is a thread issuing a challenge to play the entire map in melee. The OP has done that including the bosses and gave tips on how to do just that. When I free my pc I will link it here for you. Btw he used a Skana. Everything started unranked and leveled with the game. No sentinel. NO POWERS. Just. a. Skana.  

Oh saw his post some time ago, last time i check it he was around Saturn i think and was doing rather good.

Well not all bosses are ment for Melee, in fact Melee shouldnt be the way to defeat all the bosses, specialy with how limited most of the stances are.

The right tools for the right job you know. The idea to add "death ping pong" to the infested head is pretty good tough!

I understand, but the problem was it that they encouraged Sword Alone when they decided to implement this system but then turned around a gave those people a slap behind the head by giving them Vay Hek. 

They basically hugged the melee players then placed a kick me sign on their back during the hug. Letting them feel the wrath before they even notice.