Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nekros' Terrify

Shion963

What if it causes enemies to HIDE in terror, instead of flee to the far reaches of the universe? 

I can't find a good way to call this CC, since enemies just temporarily run away and actually bulk up their forces. Each enemy that you don't kill (which is highly probable, since their running pattern incorporates some A-level jinks and turns) would return alongside its unaffected brethren after the effect ends. Unless if you're lucky and they run at a locked door, at which point you can massacre them willy nilly.

IMHO it'd be a massive improvement Terrify made them run to the nearest cover (instead of running forever), and start praying their arses off to the Twin Kweens/ Centauri Ledgers/ Holy Trinity Lephantis or what have you.

But if anyone can suggest a way to use Terrify that facilitates enemy slaughter, while also not gimping any of his three other abilities I'm all ears.

This.

EDIT: It is nice to be able to be 2scary4level80heavygunners when you're out of oxygen in a T4 survival, but otherwise its CC is very wonky. Abilities are supposed to be to our benefit, right? Not much benefit in losing track of our enemies just to be shredded when they come rushing back as they have regained their balls.

Edited by ConcretePie

I play Nekros whenever I'm going to solo something looking for loot. I use terrify in large rooms. You go from a big chaotic mess being shot from all directions to a whole bunch of enemies in one or two choke points, which you then fill with bullets and dead people.

The only trick to it is to equip punch-through and use cover. If you don't have punch-through and you're just playing it like an MMO with no care about being shot at, then Terrify is not for you.

As to the skill overall, I think if we didn't have a fear someone would be asking for a fear. It belongs on Nekros and it suits his style and role. People just don't appreciate that role right now because without structure the game is usually not hard enough to want to make enemies run away and people generally think his "style" is just to spam 3 until carpel tunnel sets in. Fear / Decoy / Knockdown and sustain based on piles of dead bodies desecrated at once is a good kit. Just needs tweaks... like everything else in this game. :P

Edited by VKhaun

Terrify isn't really supposed to be used offensively.  It's for scary off enemies for a moment of rest when things are getting hairy. Use this to recover and set up for when enemies start charging again.   As a Nekros your claim to fame is Desecrate, thats what most play Nekros for. After that, you just distract the enemies with Shadows (you might want to try using that for your primary CC, since it pretty much is CC and not really that great for damage) and scare off enemies with Terrify when things get too heavy. Soul pouch is pretty much useless, I removed it from my build so i could forma that slot for enough space for Natural Talent.

Edited by HypnoCircle

I'd say add sissy stun animation for a few seconds before they start fleeting off.

Trying to make Terrify into a stun is the usual response here but that's not what the skill is. There are plenty of PBAoE stuns and equivalents in the game already. We really don't need another one.

The whole idea is to use the fear to make space and breathing room. IMO it should stun them after they move X distance away measured from Nekros (not travel distance) so that they all end up stunned in clumps. That way you and the team can take advantage of it better and it doesn't break the purpose or style, or just become redundant with other frames.

Edited by VKhaun

Hear what you're saying, but I need to point out that the skill is called Terrify not Petrify. It doesn't really make sense that they would get MORE scared the farther they are away, and then what? They're perma-stunned until the duration is over? That would be extremely broken. I mean i could understand a very short stun at the beginning (one second or less). I do think the run and hide idea is kool though, as long as they start running again when ANY player gets within about 25m or so.  Eitherway, they are being Terrified... i don't really expect them to be acting rational.

What if it causes enemies to HIDE in terror, instead of flee to the far reaches of the universe? 

"hide in terror" sounds more like "cower" which is a bit scooby doo and less awesome sounding.

imho terrify is pretty good, its only bad point is that it doesnt affect the stuff closest to you, instead it just looks at everything inside the affected radius/range and randomly makes anything inside run in terror which isnt very useful, if ive got something nasty ripping my face off at point blank range i want that running away not the 10 weak mobs behind it.

Edited by Methanoid

remember when Frodo first saw the Nazguls, he fell on his &#! and started to crawl backward, a think something like that could work, the run away but slower, after a couple metres the could get up and start running, but you had a moments advantage while they panic.

"hide in terror" sounds more like "cower" which is a bit scooby doo and less awesome sounding.

imho terrify is pretty good, its only bad point is that it doesnt make the stuff closest to you, instead it just looks at everything inside the affected radius/range and randomly makes anything inside run in terror which isnt very useful, if ive got something nasty ripping my face off at point blank range i want that running away not the 10 weak mobs behind it.

Honestly, that sounds like the best "fix" to me.

And "running uncontrollably through everywhere" isn't Scooby Doo?

IMHO if you're proper terrified you don't run screaming, you just drop on your knees and gibber. But as someone above pointed out, making it into a straight stun is rather boring. 

remember when Frodo first saw the Nazguls, he fell on his @$$ and started to crawl backward, a think something like that could work, the run away but slower, after a couple metres the could get up and start running, but you had a moments advantage while they panic.

Like this. Stumble for a short duration, and then run when they've gathered some legs to run.

I have no problem shooting the fleeing enemies; I can't fathom why everyone complains about this.  

Terrify needs to be freely castable but keep its target cap.  It's already fairly expensive so let us choose if we want to splurge on energy to CC more enemies at a time.  The armor reduction effect is gravy, btw.