The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Old Star Chart Is Better Than Our Current One

Old one made it so much easier to find what I wanted, as well as figuring out what unlocks what else. I have no idea how that works now. Don't like the turn, and don't like the lack of clicking alert to go right to it.

Oh, and can't forget not being able to see what materials a planet has unless you zoom onto it. I'd have much preferred the old layout just visually updated to go with new UI (though I'm not big on any of the new UI personally, what with everything being huge and requiring you to go through multiple pages to get what previous didn't require more than one step).

For me its not at all about imersiveness, its all about speed and overview,..

and the new one is just too slow and cumbersome,  (in ALL menus,. not just the solar map)

plus i miss being abel to, with a quick glance, to see any alerts/invasions in the top left of the solar map..

Its not that i dont appericiate the work and time used to make this new UI, its just too slow and not very well thought out..

The ship and everything about it puts me in the universe. The previous one made me feel like some omnipotent force staring at the solar system from the outside.

I'm talking about the star chart in the navigation, not the UI as a whole. I'm fine with most everything, but it would be simple (Okay, not simple) to just integrate the old starchart to replace our current one that has 8 or 10 equal sized spheres representing all the planets.

Edited by PeripheralVisionary

The new star chart, whether it's "as easy to navigate or not", actually does illustrate the fact that the "planet" is merely a hub for which the stages and levels revolve around, which is nice. I do find the angle a little annoying, I'd almost like a top view down more, so I could clearly see all the stages at the same time, but it's just as easy to rotate it, even if it does take a small effort on my part.

where I slightly agree with the OP, is that the stages before seemed to have a clear, linear progression, and now, they are simply "adjacent" by coincidence it seems, being somewhat on an upscale in level as you make your way around. I don't think it would be logical to illustrate both the old and the new charts together, but perhaps having the option to pic between them...wouldn't be bad...

In all, I rather enjoy the new one, so this is all a mute point for me personally, but I can understand where the OP is coming from.

Edited by Temphis

I can rotate it perfectly. 

And how exactly does the previous starchart feel more immersive than this one?

Easy. Most people when they want to reference a map would like to see definite locations, not abstractions of locations. This becomes problamatic once one tries to search for a specific location for alerts and what not. Now I admit planets rotating around the Sun make it hard to map in this way (Countries and shores have pretty fixed locations on the earth), however I think they could have still done it with a layout of the basic solar areas that would semi rotate in real time that went to an exploded view of the location when clicked on. Visually you'd be able to identify the planets where something is going on and directly click (now also sadly missing from navigation UI) on the solar area. The carasoul menu for planet navigation just smacks of controller preference of the menu. If they want to make it better for console, they should seperate some UI elements since the game is not going to have cross-play and the majority of PC users I imagine play this with a mouse and keyboard. One alternative is to maybe have two seperate UI options on PC, one for mouse and one for mouse/keyboard since the controller is still an option on PC.

Also as for the immersion factor, I'll just say nothing jettisons me right out of immersion then the fact that a highly advanced possible branch of humanity with epic technologies have difficulty selecting things from their menu.

Edited by Trajhenkhetlive

In what way is the old one more immersive? This new UI makes it very clear that I am accessing ship navigation systems. The old UI indicated very little and left a lot up to suggestion: Am I floating in space, am I in some kind of futuristic room, where is that room, where am I? Nobody knows. No immersion. 

Easy. Most people when they want to reference a map would like to see definite locations, not abstractions of locations. This becomes problamatic once one tries to search for a specific location for alerts and what not. Now I admit planets rotating around the Sun make it hard to map in this way (Countries and shores have pretty fixed locations on the earth), however I think they could have still done it with a layout of the basic solar areas that would semi rotate in real time that went to an exploded view of the location when clicked on. Visually you'd be able to identify the planets where something is going on and directly click (now also sadly missing from navigation UI) on the solar area. The carasoul menu for planet navigation just smacks of controller preference of the menu. If they want to make it better for console, they should seperate some UI elements since the game is not going to have cross-play and the majority of PC users I imagine play this with a mouse and keyboard. One alternative is to maybe have two seperate UI options on PC, one for mouse and one for mouse/keyboard since the controller is still an option on PC.

Those nodes could not have possibly been meant to represent physical positions within the solar system. You'd often have nodes that go left, right, and then up visiting locations like earth, and asteroid, and then earth again. So unless Earth takes place in a surrealist painting it makes little sense that you'd be naturally progressing physical locations in that manner. The current UI makes more sense as it does not suggest impossible geography. Additionally, it is much simpler and faster to navigate as everything I want to visit is conveniently on one screen. I merely need rotate it slightly to get to every available mission. 

I hardly see why optimizing things for a controller in this instance is a bad thing either. A lot of PC players do actually play with controllers, so trying to make this an argument of "PC Master Race" is a bit silly from the first. 

Edited by Acos

In terms of realism, our old one was pretty unrealistic. I mean sure, there was stuff orbiting the sun, but we had moons in solar orbit as well as planets!

The new one needs some more work, but since it's the nav console for a spaceship it makes sense how it is.

Don't worry Gross1985, it has been designed with you guys in mind.

On topic, totally agree with OP.

The previous one looked like a map of the solar system, this one looks like a circle of equally sized, indistinguishable spheres.

For example, I could pick Jupiter out easily before, now, is it the beige one or the darker beige one? Or maybe the beige one with speckles?

Edit: It's the beige one!

Edited by Egg_Chen

Don't worry Gross1985, it has been designed with you guys in mind.

On topic, totally agree with OP.

The previous one looked like a map of the solar system, this one looks like a circle of equally sized, indistinguishable spheres.

For example, I could pick Jupiter out easily before, now, is it the beige one or the darker beige one? Or maybe the beige one with speckles?

Edit: It's the beige one!

it took me less than a second to figure out how to find the names of each planet.

what is your argument exactly? that the names aren't already there to clutter up the interface?

I also love the new update, but hate the new starchart.  In the old one I could easily scan planet to planet looking at invasions, areas not unlocked, see my drones and dark sectors.

With the new one I have to click on each planet (and they all look about the same) and then rotate the planet to actually see all the missions.  Then back out of that planet and check the next planet.  Its super clunky and doesnt make efficent use of mouse clicks.

I feel the new starchart will be nice for PS4, but is a huge step backwards in efficency (many many more clicks needed for the same information) for PC where the mouse is now useless