Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How Does U14 Change Tenno Lore?

ElHefe

From what Vor said, it just affirms what I believe.

Tenno gained their powers from the void, and that is also where they get their energy. The frames were built around them to help amplify and control that energy. Each frame is a different character, not the same Tenno going from frame to frame.

i think it only affirms it on a certain degree, he only confirms that there is one unique tenno in this suit but not that he can change himself into another suit...im confused q.q..

So this is my theory on the history of the Tenno. Not sure if anyone is interested or even if it clashes with the lore at any point, but I figured I may as well type it up.

Hayden Tenno was infected by the Technocyte virus in Dark Sector; however, he did not become a mindless infected and gained superhuman powers. He was the founder of the Tenno order which would survive all the way to the Orokin era. I imagine the early Tenno being something like the Mandolorians from Star Wars; a warrior culture that will take anyone who can survive their induction. Perhaps they even recruited non-infected individuals they thought would withstand exposure to the plague and executed the unfortunates who did not. The Tenno existed on the fringes of society for thousands of years fighting the virus and working as mercenaries as humanity blossomed into the Orokin.

We know at some points the Orokin came under external threat from a (thus far) mysterious race known as The Sentients. The Orokin were unable to win against them but knew the key laid in harnessing the power of the void. All attempts proved lethal to the test subjects so they turned to the Tenno who, infected by Technocyte, were made of tougher stuff than your average human. The Tenno survived exposure to the void and gained immense power but transcend their physical form to become an unstable energy being. The Orokin built the Warframes to contain and channel their power and the Tenno proved to be their salvation in the war against the Sentients.

Some years later the Tenno turned on the Orokin for unknown reasons. It may be the Orokin culture did not mesh well with theirs or the Orokin began treating the Tenno as lesser citizens. Perhaps they didn't like their role as peacetime soldiers and were eager to begin fighting again or maybe it was simply a matter of honor. We know the Orokin won the war against the Tenno but were unwilling to eliminate them for fear that the Sentients could return or a new threat surface. The Tenno were put into cryosleep to await the day they would be needed again. The Orokin empire eventually decayed and the remaining humans fought over whatever scraps of technology could be found. The Grineer and Corpus rose above all other factions and now have taken an interest in the Tenno. The Grineer see them as their greatest threat and their possible salvation. The Corpus, who still worship the Orokin, still view them as traitors but a potential business opportunity if their Warframes can be reverse engineered.

We almost need an entire story now! I need to know why we were awoken again. What happened to the orikin. Why did we kill them who were the sentients! I NEED FLASH BACK PART OF THE STORY

Prologue states that we were awoken because of grineer aggression implied they threaten the balance. The pre-awakening stuff though who knows. Presumably we killed the Sentients cause they threatened the balance and we killed the Orokin for the same reason. The specifics would be nice though. Also maybe a good idea of what Tenno balance encompasses.

Damn, this update really put a foot down on lore. I hope we get more, its all so exciting! :D

I'm sorry, but I almost thought this was sarcastic.

This is really weak "lore" if you can even call it that. It just raises more questions about the past of the Tenno, while confirming some very, very basic things about them that were already established (i.e., that they are a team of Tokusatsu-style superhumans each with their own unique identities).

Strong lore would go deep intot he society of the Grineer: what they eat, what they do for entertainment, a little bit of their history, how they train, the story behind a particular weapon or enemy, how one Grineer official does business with the Corpus, etc. What we have currently just feels like kids in a playground telling some very vague story about the action figures they're playing with.

I'm sorry, but I almost thought this was sarcastic.

This is really weak "lore" if you can even call it that. It just raises more questions about the past of the Tenno, while confirming some very, very basic things about them that were already established (i.e., that they are a team of Tokusatsu-style superhumans each with their own unique identities).

Strong lore would go deep intot he society of the Grineer: what they eat, what they do for entertainment, a little bit of their history, how they train, the story behind a particular weapon or enemy, how one Grineer official does business with the Corpus, etc. What we have currently just feels like kids in a playground telling some very vague story about the action figures they're playing with.

All I am saying is that this update is in the right direction to provide a very strong history, storyline and purpose for the players :/

Of course we still need lots and lots of details and hopefully more quests will push the lore of the game

I actually made a post on how it would be a great way to start: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/262718-how-to-leak-more-lore/

@ Noble-Cactus ... "action figures" - that's HILLARIOUS!

Your point about including the details of living is very well taken

There are many RPGs that have created an encyclopedic lore (eg Warhammer)

It might be telling to know what kind of games the developers at DE like to play and consider to be "essential" ... maybe then we could surmise what more we can expect in lore for Warframe

That's not it at all. Vor says

"Tenno do not control the Warframe's Divine energy. The Tenno are that energy. Each Warframe that you control is merely a glass shaping your furious light."

The Tenno are pseudo corporeal energy being that change Warframes at will.

I agree that Vor's statement here is pointing out that the _effects_ (The powers themselves) are part of the Warframe. While the Void energy that allows them to function is in the Tenno.

I still think that a physical Tenno is more likely. I read the line "The Tenno are that energy" akin to lines like "You are that warrior", "You are that force of creation" or "You are that shining star" it doesn't imply that their physical being is changed it's simply an indication that they possess the properties specified in addition to the unspoken "you are still a human person".

IMHO the Tenno are organic people that contain void energy and the Warframe can adjust their pilot to accommodate the Warframe's physiognomy.

I think it's more interesting that

The Lotus points out that she was performing the same role during the Tenno during the old war

Edited by SilentMobius

Confirmed? I see nothing that confirms that idea, in fact I see more that suggests a single Tenno per account than the counter-theory.

After all we have a story here where a Tenno-in-Warframe researches a dead Tenno and builds a copy of their Warframe for themselves. That kills the idea that Tenno+Warframe are somehow paired as the Warframe was completely lost and rebuild by a Tenno who already had a Warframe.

Unless you're positing that there is a huge cache of Tenno-without-Warframes who express all possible unique power profiles that fit with any possible Warframe we discover.

Edited by SilentMobius

Confirmed? I see nothing that confirms that idea, in fact I see more that suggests a single Tenno per account that the counter-theory.

After all we have a story here where a Tenno-in-Warframe researches a dead Tenno and builds a copy of their Warframe for themselves. That kills the idea that Tenno+Warframe are somehow paired as the Warframe was completely lost and rebuild by a Tenno who already had a Warframe.

Unless you're positing that there is a huge cache of Tenno-without-Warframes who express all possible unique power profiles that fit with any possible Warframe we discover.

I kinda see the tenno as one unique ronin that is able to control multiple shells, which would be the warframe.We build frames from our ancestors, like lotus told us with mirage so it is likely also confirming said thing that we dont control multiples tenno but a single one that is able to change his warframe.

This is simply my opinion, because if not then ordis and the armory wouldnt make sense either. Ordis refers to each of us as ,,operator'' , no matter which frame you choose. Naturally this can be countered with a code that other tenno use and so can give to each other so they can work as a group. But as we saw in the prologue, ordis is able to distinct friends and foes. This would mean that each tenno must have something that marks them as themselves(dunno how to say it better) even if they change their frames. Else everyone could steal each others ship.

As for vor, id like to know if he is kinda in love with the queens or something like that. As when he talked to us as we built the ascaris negator he said something like ,,Love for my queens...cant remember it really due to it being laggy but nvm.

Or is this kinda like a hive-style thinking? Do evrything what the queens say under any circumstances.

Organic, cybernetic, biotech or energy based, I think it's pretty clear they can switch frames. Mirage makes that blatantly obvious.

As for vor, id like to know if he is kinda in love with the queens or something like that. As when he talked to us as we built the ascaris negator he said something like ,,Love for my queens...cant remember it really due to it being laggy but nvm.

Or is this kinda like a hive-style thinking? Do evrything what the queens say under any circumstances.

I think it's ordinary patriotism. For example the British have a tendency to call the Queen "Mum".

Edited by ValhaHazred

The Grineer - which has been a dying race - somehow have been able to embark on large-scale conquest to establish a system-wide EMPIRE, crushing underfoot independent colonist enclaves as well as searching out and destroy sleeping Tenno

That was what I got from the prologue as well. Since I just began playing, we are fighting the "machine dudes" because they are trying to pull something bad on the universe and destroying tennos (but not the one in the prologue, since Vor felt connected with it somehow). 

I think it's ordinary patriotism. For example the British have a tendency to call the Queen "Mum".

Beg pardon? No we don't. We do use "ma'am" as a contraction of "Madame" though. We also used to refer to the Wife of King George VI (Queen Elizabeth's Mother) as "Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother" which is colloquially shortened to "The Queen Mum" but I don't know any situation were we call the Queen herself "Mum"

Beg pardon? No we don't. We do use "ma'am" as a contraction of "Madame" though. We also used to refer to the Wife of King George VI (Queen Elizabeth's Mother) as "Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother" which is colloquially shortened to "The Queen Mum" but I don't know any situation were we call the Queen herself "Mum"

In any situation, he might be right that vor simply is a patriot. Though then id like to know why he refers to his children being able to live on without the desease and he finally being able to die. Does that mean that grineer are likely humanoid with the only difference that the disease they fight and their support machines keep them forcefully alive as long as they arent defeated?

3. If you do the Mirage quest, the lines spoken there seem to have it that we discover an old Warframe and then, rather than resurrect that Warframe, we learn from her past and build the Warframe that has long been forgotten in order to add it to our own collection.

Actually, what happens is that Lotus finds a MEMORY.  Since the Tenno are incorporeal beings, it seems reasonable that they can somehow stamp some of their identity into the fabric of the universe. Or possibly Lotus stores all memories of all Tenno like an uber backup system, and the ones for Mirage's original operator are so old that they have gone a bit wonky with bit rot.  Lotus is able to extract the specifications for the Mirage warframe from the memory and burns them to a disc for us to build a new one with.  The Mirage warframe is long gone, there is nothing to revive.

That's not it at all. Vor says

"Tenno do not control the Warframe's Divine energy. The Tenno are that energy. Each Warframe that you control is merely a glass shaping your furious light."

The Tenno are pseudo corporeal energy being that change Warframes at will.

This has been my head-canon for many months. Vor said something similar in a codex entry for one of the old events, where he talks about Warframes being a "conduit" for "demons from the void".

Actually, what happens is that Lotus finds a MEMORY. Since the Tenno are incorporeal beings, it seems reasonable that they can somehow stamp some of their identity into the fabric of the universe. Or possibly Lotus stores all memories of all Tenno like an uber backup system, and the ones for Mirage's original operator are so old that they have gone a bit wonky with bit rot. Lotus is able to extract the specifications for the Mirage warframe from the memory and burns them to a disc for us to build a new one with. The Mirage warframe is long gone, there is nothing to revive.

This has been my head-canon for many months. Vor said something similar in a codex entry for one of the old events, where he talks about Warframes being a "conduit" for "demons from the void".

The Tenno produce energy, there is nothing beyond interpretation of a sentance that can be read either way to suggest the Tenno are not corporeal. In fact it flies in the face of what the devs have stated. Just don't state headcannon as fact when it's not. You'll run into people like me who say they are a hive mind and möbius who says they're shapeshifters. None of us has any claim to be truely correct right now. Edited by NevanChambers

I stand corrected. Wonder where I got that from.

Did anyone notice Ordis lost his memories from the old war too?

Indeed!  Must be some form of MASS amnesia ...

However, one key difference is that Ordis also has BEHAVIORAL malfunctions in addition to memory deficits caused by either:

1. Ordis simply has more damage than the Tenno or The Lotus

Which raises the question of whether in original form did Ordis have the same sense of humor or are his/its current ironic and dry wit merely the result of a bad sector or code error

As an aside ...

Human are the only species that are known to appreciate irony

Bonobos, chimpanzees, rats and dogs apparently laugh when subjected to skin tickling - just like human babies - but that has not be demonstrated to be equivalent or correspond to true humor

2. Ordis was damaged in a manner different from the Tenno or The Lotus

While traumatic repression (painful childhood, wartime PTSD), intentional reprogramming (mind wipe to erase guilt of Orokin betrayal) or physical deterioration (cryosleep dementia) could be reasons for the Tenno's memory loss, Ordis may have had its memory selectively erased for the second cause listed for the Tenno or degraded over time if the ship was "mothballed" for an extended period, thus similar to the third cause listed

The REASON why Ordis has no memory of the Old War for now is that it is a PLOT DEVICE ...

Once again DE wants to tantalize with fragmentary clues while simultaneously stir the pot a bit more by adding yet another "what in the world?" moment to the game  

Edited by ElHefe

@ TheStag ... I agree with your point that Vor is not an unimpeachable information source

For that matter, maybe NO ONE is - even The Lotus

Since the story so far is a mystery/who done it, then we would circumspect to be critical of everything to be ready for anything yet to come ... 

Why aren't they? You're pretty much saying "I don't want to accept what they're saying so I'm going to pretend like what they're saying isn't credible". Understand that these characters are the medium through which DE is revealing the story. You're meant to accept what they are saying.

@ AntoineFlemming ... perhaps I should have emphasized "maybe" a bit more

Honestly, I read the unfolding Lore two ways and at the same time ...

1. Each character provides completely truthful and accurate information

2. Remain skeptical until there is a consistent and cross-referenced verification

While I would prefer the former, the later is safer

@ AntoineFlemming ... perhaps I should have emphasized "maybe" a bit more

Honestly, I read the unfolding Lore two ways and at the same time ...

1. Each character provides completely truthful and accurate information

2. Remain skeptical until there is a consistent and cross-referenced verification

While I would prefer the former, the later is safer

I've said this when this idea came up a month or two ago, but to me, it doesn't make sense to have a character provide false information, because it sort of has the same effect as if they don't provide info at all. I believe that these characters, and the codex page, are the way that devs release this info, because if nothing in the game were true, then that really leaves us with no information at all, and that's not ok. The devs aren't going to talk out every bit of lore on their devstreams. So we're left to actually look at what the characters say and what the Codex says. If we don't believe one character, then on what grounds do we believe another one? We can choose to reject what the characters say just like we can choose to reject the fact that people have gone to the Moon, and there are people who do. But so far, there's been pretty good consistency, at least when it comes to the Orokin/Tenno lore. I do believe that the way the Codex and current dialogue and other lore has been worded, that there were initially one of each frame+Tenno, and that the Tenno took on the identity of their frames - as in their frames were their names. Valkyr and Nova are those that especially come to mind. But there's not enough to accurately know about this.

This game's lore is like trying to read a noval that has been burnt in a fire.

That implies it was ever whole to begin with. It's more like reading over an author's shoulder as he writes the notes during the planning phase of a new novel.

Edited by ValhaHazred