The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Give Us The World Back [Img]

notionphil

You're discounting how annoying it is to simply stand on the ship. How annoying it is to enter the ship, and how the ship has tendencies to stutter. I like the concept of the ship, but not the practice.

Furthermore, I do think most of the substantial parts of the update are doing more bad than good. That said, this is a topic for another thread or even PM, if you want to discuss this further.

Enter the ship?

Dude…you just go to extraction.

Simply stand on the ship?

I don't even get what you mean by that, unless your ship runs into space turbulence every time you're inside it.

Enter the ship?

Dude…you just go to extraction.

Simply stand on the ship?

I don't even get what you mean by that, unless your ship runs into space turbulence every time you're inside it.

1. Yes, it does.

2. Upon entering the ship, Ordis comes to spit out his dialogue for the 999th time, I get a popup with something like quests/something/something/Kubrowhint4 These both have occured enough to  make me frustrated before I'm even able to move about my ship.

3. The radio chatter is annoyingly loud, and has about as many variations as Ordis, so to simply browse the Market, Codex, or Navigation can become rather grating. The foundry likes to be heard from all areas of the lower bay.

Edited by ForgemasterHD

"For all of the impressive atmosphere DE crammed into the ship, they certainly removed an equal measure away from the world at large with the removal of the Solar Map. "

Assuming you mean this part; Your entire argument centered around the idea that the revision to the start chart removed some aspect of immersion. I am pointing out that much more immersion was added, negating the need for the star chart to supply it. It is not an "equal measure". Immersion is vastly improved.

The old star chart did a poor job of immersion anyway. I never really understood where I was, or how I was looking at whatever it is I was looking at. The entire UI is centered around being more immersive, and the navigation panel gives us a very quick and direct way of understanding how we are interacting with the space around us. The old star chart was a very ambiguous suggestion, at best.   

No - you can look at the bottom of my post for my specific requests. None of them affect the ship/view/etc. They just make the mission select feel less like a menu. Ever fly a plane, or chart a course on a ship? I have. Neither involve a menu. Both involve maps.

Anyway, there's no need to "pick sides".

It's not "awesome ship with contextual views + menu based world" VS "No atmosphere + spatial based world"

We can have "awesome ship with contextual views + spatial based world". Let's take the best of both systems, (mostly the new system) and just bring back the good parts of the old.

edit -spelling

Edited by notionphil

1. Yes, it does.

2. Upon entering the ship, Ordis comes to spit out his dialogue for the 999th time, I get a popup with something like quests/something/something/Kubrowhint4 These both have occured enough to  make me frustrated before I'm even able to move about my ship.

3. The radio chatter is annoyingly loud, and has about as many variations as Ordis, so to simply browse the Market, Codex, or Navigation can become rather grating. The foundry likes to be heard from all areas of the lower bay.

Then hows about putting the voice volume or transmissions volume really low or even off. That should get rid number 2 and 3 for you.

Then hows about putting the voice volume or transmissions volume really low or even off. That should get rid number 2 and 3 for you.

Still doesn't block the popups or the foundry issue. Also, I happen to like it when bosses or Lotus or Even a level 9999 stalker talk to me, because they don't repeat the same thing on a consistent basis.

While you're right, I'd rather have an Ordis-specific setting. I hate having to kill all transmissions for everyone just because of one rather annoying AI.

EDIT:

But seriously, this isn't the thread for this discussion. I'm more than willing to talk about this in PMs...

Edited by ForgemasterHD

No - you can look at the bottom of my post for my specific requests. None of them affect the ship/view/etc. They just make the mission select feel less like a menu. Ever fly a plane, or chart a course on a ship? I have. Neither involve a menu. Both involve maps.

It's not "awesome ship with contextual views + menu based world" VS "No atmosphere + spatial based world"

We can have "awesome ship with contextual views + spatial based world". Let's take the best of both systems, (mostly the new system) and just bring back the good parts of the old.

edit -spelling

Pretty much this to everybody shouting that old UI is better.

The new layout and setup is much better but needs some changes to make it easier, faster and more intuitive

Pretty much this to everybody shouting that old UI is better.

The new layout and setup is much better but needs some changes to make it easier, faster and more intuitive

Exactly. This is DE's first at-bat with the new UI.

It will get better. Let's just help it along.

edit -spelling

And that continues to be my point; I did not think aspects of the old menu are worth salvaging. The old 'map' you are referring too is so vague as to be impossible. You can not have a map that goes up, right, and then vertically right and have the visiting locations be earth, a grineer galleon, and then back to earth again. You have never gone "right" on a planet and wound up in space only to go "up" and then be back on Earth. The current navigation panel works better because it is not suggesting any physical movement by attempting to place a three dimensional solar system on a two dimensional map. 

That is my "side" as it were. I am allowed to disagree with your suggestions for improvement. 

Edited by Acos

No. Because, the versions need to be the same for PC and PS4 and the game has officially made the console version its number one priority and the game mechanics are to be set around it entirely.

With that said, I agree.

As i said in an earlier post this is a console port now..that's a shame..:(

I personally think I feel more immersed in the warframe universe with U14 but I don't totally disagree. Most off these problems that are mentioned are more or less small over sights in the creation of the new UI but I personally like the new navigation UI. Perhaps some compromises would make it simpler.

First, my biggest draw from the new UI is that it removed the sense of connectedness of the solar system (aka the sense of progression).  Though perhaps the progression might be more obvious if for veteran players all the planets weren't unlocked (because were just sort of thrown into a circle of orbs that at least the planets are in order from merc to pluto).  Returning the node network from Pre-U14 by merely just replacing the current sectors with nodes again circling the planet might be better.  Ideally I'd like the nodes to make distinction between planetside or space vessel by the node being in space or on the planet itself with lines connecting nodes to node for that sense of progression as well as not losing the nodes visually but that is unnecessary.

Second, I think adding info to sectors could've been made more obvious but over looked in its creation.  They could just color code the sectors like say: Orange = Grineer, Green = Infested, Blue = Corpus, while keeping all the other current icons to denote nightmare (red), missions and bosses.  I also didn't even think about the players group notifications from pre-U14 which could just be simply added in like it was before when you move over the sector.

Lastly, I personally wanted a separate UI area say like left of the navigation (like the News UI is to the right) that handled Alerts, and future Operation display and progress, perhaps even the invasion system. Where you could just go there if you wanted to quick access such activities.

And that continues to be my point; I did not think aspects of the old menu are worth salvaging. The old 'map' you are referring too is so vague as to be impossible. You can not have a map that goes up, right, and then vertically right and have the visiting locations be earth, a grineer galleon, and then back to earth again. You have never gone "right" on a planet and wound up in space only to go "up" and then be back on Earth. The current navigation panel works better because it is not suggesting any physical movement by attempting to place a three dimensional solar system on a two dimensional map. 

That is my "side" as it were. I am allowed to disagree with your suggestions for improvement. 

So you consider these improvements:

-You can no longer see which faction controls a node without mousing over it

-You must exit from one interface to another, then re-enter, to switch between planets

-You can no longer see player activity on a node without mousing over it

-You can no longer even see the name of a planet without mousing over it

-You can no longer switch from solo/online without closing the navigation structure and starting to navigate from scratch

PS - It's conventional for space to be represented in 2D in popular entertainment...in everything from Star Wars to Mass Effect to Star Trek...not really a huge issue IMO.

Edit - added last point

Edited by notionphil

"For all of the impressive atmosphere DE crammed into the ship, they certainly removed an equal measure away from the world at large with the removal of the Solar Map. "

Assuming you mean this part; Your entire argument centered around the idea that the revision to the start chart removed some aspect of immersion. I am pointing out that much more immersion was added, negating the need for the star chart to supply it. It is not an "equal measure". Immersion is vastly improved.

The ship hasn't-actually-added any immersion though. It's a 3 dimensional representation of the menu.

If we need to see what will get people immersed in this game we need look no farther than Darvo. 

People love that guy and he barely exists inside the game world. But he has personality, he is funny, he had personal problems. He was a relatable character with a real story, the closest thing to human. 

The Ship has no personality, it can't be customized to add personality and has no room to be customized, Ordis is harder to relate to because he is a computer and incredibly annoying, and purposeless over all. Our Tenno character has no apparent emotions or feelings, no human like qualities visible at all. 

Immersion is not a travel system from point A to point B with a few images in the background, it is the feeling that we are part of a living breathing world and are or are in control of a real character that this ship simply does not have the room or purpose to accomplish. 

Reading this thread made me understand what people were talking about re: immersion.

Made some mockups and explanations of an idea that resulted here: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/268699-planet-view-nodemission-immersion-hybrid-images-inside/

Is this what you meant?

Hi Varzy,

What you suggested is a step forward, but not exactly what I was referring to.

I was proposing that DE keeps the flat ring of missions around the planet, but instead makes the boxes into nodes that relate spatially to eachother. There could still be a network of nodes, similar to what you drew (or what we had), but they would literally extend out from the planet itself. Some could even touch the planet, and others hover away from it (to reflect the mission type)

Rotating would still spin the planet/missions around, the only difference is instead of boxes, we have nodes that connect to eachother, and each is shown as a faction icon, with a name, mission type and player activity info.

Like this, but not drawn in 5 seconds :D

G8vIpBQ.jpg?1

Edited by notionphil