Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rng And Kubrows; What Gives? (My Impressions)

ComfyOlivia

I like the RNG system, but it's flawed. DE has nothing to control a long grind. Technically, since it is completely random, there is a chance that you will NEVER get an egg from drops, unless they have some far off cap I've never heard of (but it doesn't really matter because you're doing it wrong if you deter people from playing).

I feel like most of the acquiring of the Kubrow, from doing the first mission of the quest until the Kubrow is matured is essentially flawed and is making people just not want to play.

You have to kill Jackal for the quest (easy enough, not a brilliant quest start, but it isn't sub-par). 

Then you go do a 5-Minute Corpus Survival for the Incubator Part. Again, easy, but not bad. 

Then, the grind. 

The Kubrow Egg. From what I've seen and heard, it's taking an average of around 15-20 runs (with some people running the mission for 12 hours). This is silly..... As I said earlier in the post, because the egg is based on the RNG, you can technically go without ever having it drop (it's a minuscule chance, and you are more likely to just give up after a week and try again later on, and maybe your luck changes). So basically looking at a system with no leash on it. Making people run a mission enough times to make them burn out for an item that is only part of a bigger item is FAKE CHALLENGE. You aren't testing people's knowledge or how clever they are or how skilled they are. You are testing how long they can go without giving up. This is bad game design. And I know I'm gonna get some "You go and try to design a game and see how it goes for you" comments, but honestly, I have no earthly clue how to "design" a game. It doesn't take someone with a degree to know that YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG IF YOU MAKE THE CUSTOMER UNHAPPY. (this applies unless the customer is a walking potato) Now, IF this was designed to make people irritated, they are trying one of these three things: Making People Buy Content, Not Caring, or Essentially Stabbing Themselves in the Throat with a Knife. Each of these things points to either stupidity or a pay2play mindset or both. I AM NOT SAYING THAT THEY ARE TRYING TO IRRITATE PEOPLE, I'M JUST SAYING WHAT THE CAUSE IS IF THEY WERE. Either way, the RNG system is flawed and needs to be changed. The reason it works so well for WoW and other big games is because there are lots of work-arounds and alternative methods to things. In Warframe: Want the unique mod essential to your build?  Hope the RNGods are feeling kind and give you it after a few rounds. If not, you have to find a different build or buy it off of someone.

Note: I'm also aware I might get comments about "Entitled Internet Nerd" and whatnot, but in all honestly, THIS IS ALL DIGITAL. YOU, AS A GAMER, ARE ENTITLED TO WHATEVER ANY PUBLISHER IS WILLING TO SUPPLY (sometimes at a price). There are no real restrictions. I say I want a feature in a game that I think will make it better. I get called an entitled priss. Excuse me for wanting a game I can enjoy. *courtsies*

Double-Note: Don't give me the "None of this stuff has to be free, so stop being an entitled baby." I respond to this with the fact that this game is advertised to be f2p. So unless DE is lying, and even in most cases when this is true, your point is not valid.

Personally, it took me about 15 runs to get the egg, so I can't accurately attest to these multi-hour farmings. But I can tell you that the next part is what got me.

The power cell for an Incubator take 2 Control Modules (pretty easy to find), 4500 Nano Spores (not ezpz but by no means hard) and One Argon Crystal, then it takes 8 hours to finish. Argon Crystals are something you pray to the RNGods for. You get 5 of em when you don't need any. You go and try to get some, and you get none (or at least it seems like it.) Yesterday, I spent a good 5-6 hours running voids, and got 0 Argon Crystals. By that point I couldn't really be bothered to farm them any longer and just bought the Kubrow Starter Kit for 65 plat, which basically turns what can easily be days of farming in to ~2$. In all honesty, I never even made the power core or anything after it that you may have needed. 

I was kinda pooped at this point.

I rushed the hatching a bit with my leftover plat. I ended up with with a beautiful Purple-Eyed, Male, Sahasa Kubrow, which I promptly went to go look up names for. Names like Max, Bear, Cindy, Spot, and others came up. I then named this beautiful (I mean super manly Reptile-Canine) OShieet. I was a very proud father of a S#&$-smearing dog-like creature. So I was curious. How long does this Lizard-Bulldog-Rhino thing take to mature to the point of being able to actually use it? I researched and found out that the DEvs won't tell us. Why? Idk. I thought "All right, if they won't tell us entitled computer geeks when our little S#&$ stains will be ready to go kill some space commies and science nuts, then I'll wait. I mean, it can't be too long, right?" Wrong :D. It's been 24 hours since my baby-scaley-thing hatched. So, by other building times and such, the next time increment it will be ready at is three days. DE, I love that you are trying to make things more exciting by letting things be a surprise. But surprises don't work by telling someone they are getting a surprise and letting them wait for it.

In all honesty, players, at this point, it is more worth your time and patience to go and work for an hour, make 5 dollars, and throw it at the game and buy the Kubrow Starting Kit. On top of all the grinding you will do in game, you will spend roughly 150-200k Credits and tons of resources just hatching the damn thing. In all honesty, we don't even know if the things are worth the grind and stress to make. All we know is that they're annoying to get and that they are cute when young. Oh, and that the Ship AI is making people's ears bleed whining about the Kubrow.

Edited by CoRRh

Got 3 eggs in one day, 10 runs. Its not that rare.

This is kinda blunt, but speak for yourself. On any thread you will find one or two cases of people finding a couple with no effort, and then a huge amount of "it took me a couple of hours" and then a couple of "I have grinded for it for almost 10 hours and I still don't have it.

Thus the curse of a functioning RNG.

i think its a quest flag bug that affects a few people .....rng isnt the only reason that irems dont drop

Very true and a good point, but think of how long there have been complaints of the RNG screwing people over. This isn't a new thing, it's just become even bigger.
Edited by CoRRh

To be fair, coolbro taking time to mature should be a given, considering how it's supposed to... yknow, MATURE. And wasn't watching it grow one of the advertised draws of getting a coolbro vs a sentinel?

Argon use in U14 is good, but the (unchanged?) ORDEAL to obtain argon is not.

To be fair, coolbro taking time to mature should be a given, considering how it's supposed to... yknow, MATURE. And wasn't watching it grow one of the advertised draws of getting a coolbro vs a sentinel?

Argon use in U14 is good, but the (unchanged?) ORDEAL to obtain argon is not.

I agree fully. I don't think it should be a "Throw resources in to it, rush it. and there ya have it." In all honesty, I'm fine with it taking 3 days. I just want to know if it WILL take three days. The combo of it being long and not knowing how long it is, is not great. If it was only one of the two, I'd be up to it, and would have no complaints as far as that goes.

In all honesty, I don't even feel like playing. I'd rather just watch SNL on Netflix and check back in every once in a while than sit here and play while I wait for it.

Sorry, one last edit.

Watching it grow would be great if that's what actually happened. They only thing you can do with it while it's not mature is do the interact cut scene. You don't feed it, you don't groom it, you just get to stare at it doing the same couple of animations.

Edited by CoRRh