Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Some U14 Ui Suggestions With Screens

Toztman

So, what? It should be reverted because not everyone loves everything about it unconditionally? 

or maybe DE could listen to the wealth of feedback provided and action it rather than pretend theres no issues?

i dont quite get why we are meant to blindly accept what we have been given when its not as good as what we had previously?  what was wrong with the notion of enhancing the looks/visuals on something that functioned quite well, basically the win win scenario.

He may not be nicest person in UI discussions, but most UI defenders are the same or worse. He (and many others) is trying to push for improvements, but is constantly countered by biased crowd. He's tired. Please give him some slack!

its called frustration and yeah id agree, ive seen and been thru the same supposed game enhancements in several other games ive enjoyed and played over the years and ended up leaving those games (WoW/STO/Eve/Etc) as i have done here as well for now.

the honest impression im getting on the forums since U14 tho is that for those of us making serious feedback were just seen as whiny retards who who are somehow mentally incapable of adapting, our opinions are seen as wrong and invalid and that we should be silent and put up with it and move along while a lot of those who say they like it give virtually no constructive feedback when they are trying to counter other peoples supposedly wrong opinions.

there should always be feedback and it should ideally be given serious thought which is why other games have test servers to avoid splitting their community in half and letting some of their customers walk.

has anyone complained about the actual IN GAME stuff after U14?  no, everyone who liked warframe still does, has anyone complained about the UI after U14?  yes lots, if the actual game itsself was a trainwreck i could understand huge conflicting opinion but all thats happened is something seemingly far simpler, the pre-game menu/ui, i personally like the run and gun stuff, but just cant stand using that new menu/ui so much that i cant bring myself to use it to get into a game, my mood utterly ruined by something that should be a simple and efficient gateway to the game. 

/vent

its called frustration and yeah id agree, ive seen and been thru the same supposed game enhancements in several other games ive enjoyed and played over the years and ended up leaving those games (WoW/STO/Eve/Etc) as i have done here as well for now.

the honest impression im getting on the forums since U14 tho is that for those of us making serious feedback were just seen as whiny retards who who are somehow mentally incapable of adapting, our opinions are seen as wrong and invalid and that we should be silent and put up with it and move along while a lot of those who say they like it give virtually no constructive feedback when they are trying to counter other peoples supposedly wrong opinions.

there should always be feedback and it should ideally be given serious thought which is why other games have test servers to avoid splitting their community in half and letting some of their customers walk.

has anyone complained about the actual IN GAME stuff after U14?  no, everyone who liked warframe still does, has anyone complained about the UI after U14?  yes lots, if the actual game itsself was a trainwreck i could understand huge conflicting opinion but all thats happened is something seemingly far simpler, the pre-game menu/ui, i personally like the run and gun stuff, but just cant stand using that new menu/ui so much that i cant bring myself to use it to get into a game, my mood utterly ruined by something that should be a simple and efficient gateway to the game. 

/vent

No, the people that mindlessly lap up all the garbage decisions DE is throwing at them are just lemmings, not the masters of adaption to change they consider themselves to be.

• 3 weeks later...

If DE implemented things shown in the OP (especially the navigation), made the screens static (no tilting when moving the mouse) and moved the frame out of the way, it would pretty much fix all the complaints I have about the new UI. Maybe I'd even manage to convince my friend to come back who had to stop playing because of the nausea inducing UI.

Edited by Tokkobot

• 3 weeks later...

This is amazing. Eliminates most of the irks I have from the new navigation. Easy to memorize layout for a visual learner such as myself. The distinct constellation pattern REALLY helps a ton. It is so difficult to remember where things are on the current navigation when everything looks so similar and uncharacteristic.

i like these idea, especially the navigation menu. the current block system is an atrocius step backwards. i'm so glad i had the starmap filled before this update happened. as for the escape menu i could careless really, as running around in the tiny ship takes almost no time anyways. (i do dislike not being able to get to inventory except through esc menu.)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry for necroing, but all of my yes. I never was able to use the old UI very much due to how new I was to the game, but I can say for certain that the new UI is atrocious in both logical positioning (Why is Europa so far away from Jupiter?), visual achievement (Because I should totally unlock the three other nodes around me for doing one whole mission. Riiiight), and overall layout (Earth as a beginner planet is understandable, but why no longer a crossroads, either?).

As the forums clearly display, there is a large presence of negativity towards the UI revamp in u14.

Some of the big issues are the form over function Solar System, nested ESC menu that adds too many steps, and the foundry/mods which don't use their space well. 

I am in sync with a lot of the community on big issues save one.  I do not want the old UI back.

What I want is this new UI to become as useful as the old one and this will come with iteration over time.

I spent a little time making a couple mocks to help give a visual to what some of us may agree would help.

This first one is the ESC menu.

I have the current look followed by my quick redesign mock.

UqAujAv.png

HHJwOGR.png

QuKlseC.png

Next is the Solar system orbit interface.

I didn't spend much time on this but one big request is adding labels to each planet/area.  I set up a way that the planets title would resize and shift so that it would always be visible.

This is a bandaid in my opinion.  This menu needs so serious rethink, but in the mean time this sort of change would go a long way.

EDIT: I didn't have the game in front of me so the labels are incorrect but it was just to get the idea across.

1Fumzxr.png

Here is my quick mock of what could be a way to merge the old u13 star chart with the planet grouping of u14.

Up at the top right where the planet label resides I added buttons to move to the next planet without backing out to the main selection.

qR7FiOo.png

So what do you all think?

I really believe in the foundation of this UI in many ways and since they won't be redacting it, we need to get the juices flowing to help improve it.

Completely agree and i ADD PLZ Give us an interface were we can interact fully with a game pad!!! i'm really having a hard time to play cuz i always have to use my mouse to do most of the work in the UI...(even Evolve does not have this issue).

And those planets look like a Pogo Ball and that's just.... sad...

And Mods/Foundry list should be vertically and not horizontally!! TOO DAM MUCH LACK OF SPACE AND NOT AT ALL COMFORTABLE TO USE xD

Thanks!! i hope u guys fix this things after all this is a Beta game, and should be flooding with fine tuning improvements!

I love this Star map. 10 free Plats for you.

Also the way you placed "Logout " beside "Exit game" is a really good idea.

The only thing missing is an indicator how many players playing on each node / planet.. the current S.Map seem to lack that.

Agreed!!! Indeed! And now it really looks like a planet and not this:(http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/30900000/Pogo-Ball-whatever-happened-to-30965933-500-392.jpg)