Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Arguably Most Disastrous Major Update In Warframe?

elijahpw

I don't think you understand, OP. you're giving yourself some sort of importance beyond being a player. No, players aren't testers, DE hires QA for that. However, that doesn't mean players will never run into bugs or that they shouldn't report them. In a game that has a lot of players like Warframe has (based on Steam numbers alone), there is no amount of testing that will find every bug before release. The players aren't testers, but they are extremely valuable in any game, to help find and report bugs, due to the huge variety of pc configurations that brings.

Of course, some bugs were just bugs with game logic and not technical. For that, I do give DE a little flack for always giving a date and then forcing themselves to hit that date, at the expense of their health, the game's stability, and subsequently, the players.

But with that said, I have run into no bugs so far. You can count me lucky, but my point there is that DE did test it a lot, and they did squash plenty of bugs pre-release, I'm sure. Being a developer in a big studio, I recognize just how many bugs actually appear when there's even a mild change. For DE to have released what is clearly Warframe's largest update in terms of systems and UI changes, I find it commendable that I didn't run into any noticeable bugs. The number that do exist will clear themselves up, in part as more people with various play styles and systems play the game. This doesn't mean the update wasn't ready for release, but that with any update, there will be bugs.

Sometimes a game will make a huge update, but it didn't really change much internally, just added more content. If the game seems bug-free after the update, people often mistake this for incredible dedication and bug testing, when really the content was never a risk of having many bugs anyway. For U14, this was not the case. U14 changed a lot of underlying systems, including allowing it to all work with existing accounts even though I'm sure many opted to play the prologue.

My only advice to DE is to stop making promises on dates. Be stringent, but don't be stubborn. If you can't make a release date, nothing changes. Just tell people by the evening (DE timezone), and they can stop waiting. Just go home, get some rest, and come back ready to put the game through its paces for potential release. You'll disappoint some folks who were eager to play, but you'll avoid a lot more who run into game breaking bugs.

I find it commendable that I didn't run into any noticeable bugs. 

I find it commendable, too. Specially when with just a quick visit to the bug megathread you see there are literally dozens of detected bugs DE is working on, dozens more reported but still unconfirmed (many of them inherited from the previous update and some others repaired in previous updates but returning to life), and 4 hotfixes in 4 days. Since I started playing this game more than a year ago, mostly on a daily basis, this is by far the most bug-filled update.

I love the quest system (more because of its potential than the few things available right now) and the beautiful new UI (cumbersome, but is a nice treat paying that usefulness for the inmersion capability gained). And there are still more things to come, showed in livestreams but not implemented yet.

But hurry is an enemy of quality. This update was launched too early, as you point out. And the culprits are not only DE and the Hype train, but we the players asking constantly for more content and overhaul mechanics. Much I dislike Blizzard right now, DE should make a sacred rule of one of their most repeated comments - "It will be done when it is done".

Edited by Kachocalvo

Even before this release, players like you have been whinning all over the forum as if fire is in their pants and condemning DE this and that, because of the release delay, non-stop. Many of these bugs got to all of us, not just you.

Never have I whine about delay. In fact, I like delay. You assuming too much. DE could just ignore the whiner, they have the power. They the one who decide too release it in this state, untested. The bugs got to all of us, and that my friend is the problem. Taking away players experience with barrage of bugs is not good for their future.

It's a privilage to be the first to get hand on this update, and I couldn't thank DE enough for this. I'm sure DE has tried and true before releasing this update.

There is no privilege, neither I expect one. The only privilege we have here is to QA and bug testing their product. Yes, its a product sold to the consumer. Money was involved. I understand the present of bug, but glaring amount of bugs is too much. There suppose to be a standard/baseline that an update need to pass before release for consumption.

There is no privilege, neither I expect one. The only privilege we have here is to QA and bug testing their product. Yes, its a product sold to the consumer. Money was involved. I understand the present of bug, but glaring amount of bugs is too much. There suppose to be a standard/baseline that an update need to pass before release for consumption.

A small studio like DE can only do so much testing on their own. With an update this huge bugs are to be expected, and instead of whining about how many there are just report them so they can be fixed. We're technically beta testers, we're supposed to encounter bugs.

I've run into a number of bugs that delayed my enjoyment of this update (like the Corpus Raid Cache bug for example), but I think for me so long as the company that makes this game keeps changing things in an effort to improve them, and does a good job at it, I'm pretty satisfied. That's why the bugs didn't annoy me too much.

Well. I think the lack of expectation and the willingness to do other things when I was blocked out helped with being patient. :)

I really enjoy this update. The Ship UI is amazing, if needing some streamlining (as many people have pointed out, too many clicks!), and it really makes you feel like you're your character in the Warframe world. The quests (particularly the first encounter with Vor) are a much more badass introduction to Warframe, and more intuitive. Quests will be an amazing way to run content in the future, there's a lot that can be done using it as a base (I'm hoping for replayable quests, personally). And Mirage is a pretty different style of Warframe, good looking too. Plus...

Anyways. I'm rambling. As always there's problems and bugs, but this update makes the game better than it was, so a thumb's up from me.

Last thing: I think some of the changes to Infested really show the possibility of the game going in the right direction. Although they're small, things like Leapers dodging (even if it's kind of funny to see themselves rolling across the map) and the Ancients doing auras (and the infernal Disrupter Ancient no longer K/Oing our energy) and return of Suicide Runner stagger shows DE is listening to player's concerns about challenging enemies. If anything, THAT'S the best good sign from this update.

A small studio like DE can only do so much testing on their own. With an update this huge bugs are to be expected, and instead of whining about how many there are just report them so they can be fixed. We're technically beta testers, we're supposed to encounter bugs.

Except that they set an arbitrary release date for no reason and ended up skipping a lot of testing because of it. Remember how it got released early in the morning? You don't do that if you're taking the time to test it properly.