Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is The Fraggor A Good Heavy Weapon?

Epicurus13

I am ready to craft myself a heavy melee weapon, and since I like hammers and armor ignore, the Fraggor seems like the right choice (not a fan of staff weapons so Amphis is out, plus I want the jumping attack to knock down)

However, several people seem to dislike this weapon and say that it is almost strictly worse than Gram or Scindo and even say that it is a waste of time. Is that true? If I choose to work on the fragged, will I generally be at a disadvantage compared to someone using a Scindo in terms of damage output and overall effectiveness?

Also, can anyone confirm that the fraggor has a better radius for its jumping attack than other weapons? I've heard this but hadn't seen proof yet.

from what ive seen frag is only really all that useful against grineer, otherwise the gram or scindo are superior, also the amphis is not a heavy weapon you get staggered out of attacks like a traditional long class weapon and can move while swinging it

Fraggor is better than Scindo on account of the armor ignore..

Fraggor is good.. If you wanna craft it, it's a pretty good heavy weapon..

Gram and Scindo are good because they deal double damage against infected i believe..

Other than that, the Fraggor is better.. For Grineer and Cortpus..

Edited by whitehorus

Apparently, the it's unique selling point is the armor ignore property, whereas scindo and gram get double damage against infestation. At first glance, this seems reasonably balanced, but what you don't see in the tooltips is that all charged attacks ignore armor anyway. Since charged attacks are generally superior on all heavy weapons at the moment, this doesn't really leave a niche for fragor imho.

Concerning the jump attack, scindo knocks down as well, and the radius is indeed pretty big already, a good bit higher then what you will cover with your charged swing anyway.

It's not bad, but I'd rather take a scindo over it any day.

My understanding is the following,

Fraggor has shortest reach of the heavy weapons

Fraggor ignores armor on every swing

Fraggor is has a massive aoe when you jump slam, and it knocks everything down in that area.

The Scindo has longest reach of heavy weapons but, is about same speed as the fraggor, it does more damage vs infected and i think ONLY its charge strike ignores armor.

The Gram is lowest damage of heavy weapons but its significantly faster and has a middle grade reach

For me personally i chose the fragor because it was a hammer, and i've found it insanely useful do to its massive aoe, that said i think the scindo is used more for pure damage.

Most of the time when you are forced into melee its vs infested, so you want a Scindo or Gram... vs corp and grin you often can choose a range optimal to whatever weapon you want to use.

It is funny i see people say this alot like " ranged>melee!" yet my friend uses 90% melee attacks and he will STOMP anyone he plays against as well. He can pretty much top damage done charts, get the most kills, and keep to the objective as well, my point is saying " but fragor is less useful because its better vs greener and corpus which you wont melee " is bull.... i melee vs these races ALL the time, as a Rhino frame once your damage is high enough and you get enough mods the fragor becomes a 2 shot kill and if i DONT charge attack.

Its all down to play style, and for some of us we are much more inclinded to go running and sliding around the room, slaughtering everything that gets between us and our objective.

Edit: just to make it more point worthy, my friend uses an ash and saryn frame and melees just fine, i also melee tons vs these races on my emeber and nyx frames so not just because my main is a rhino, can melee these races on any of the frames, once you know hot time your slides and such its pretty easy.

Edited by LordLokai

My understanding is the following,

Fraggor has shortest reach of the heavy weapons

Fraggor ignores armor on every swing

Fraggor is has a massive aoe when you jump slam, and it knocks everything down in that area.

The Scindo has longest reach of heavy weapons but, is about same speed as the fraggor, it does more damage vs infected and i think ONLY its charge strike ignores armor.

The Gram is lowest damage of heavy weapons but its significantly faster and has a middle grade reach

For me personally i chose the fragor because it was a hammer, and i've found it insanely useful do to its massive aoe, that said i think the scindo is used more for pure damage.

It is funny i see people say this alot like " ranged>melee!" yet my friend uses 90% melee attacks and he will STOMP anyone he plays against as well. He can pretty much top damage done charts, get the most kills, and keep to the objective as well, my point is saying " but fragor is less useful because its better vs greener and corpus which you wont melee " is bull.... i melee vs these races ALL the time, as a Rhino frame once your damage is high enough and you get enough mods the fragor becomes a 2 shot kill and if i DONT charge attack.

Its all down to play style, and for some of us we are much more inclinded to go running and sliding around the room, slaughtering everything that gets between us and our objective.

Edit: just to make it more point worthy, my friend uses an ash and saryn frame and melees just fine, i also melee tons vs these races on my emeber and nyx frames so not just because my main is a rhino, can melee these races on any of the frames, once you know hot time your slides and such its pretty easy.

I think you are misunderstanding me, my point is you are usually more free to choose what range you wish to engage grineer and corpus, whereas with infested you are very often swarmed and perma-staggered while trying to reload. It's those times when you really wish you had a stagger-proof heavy weapon. I play a Rhino and melee everyone when I feel like it, and charged attacks ignore armor on both fragor and scindo so the armor pen bonus often goes to waste since charge attacks are so powerful right now. The scindo bonus always works vs infested.

Grineer will let you shoot or melee or whatever you want to them most of the time, also they often run from melee whereas infested do not.

In the end play how you want with what you want, but in my opinion the Scindo is all around more beneficial to my heavy melee playstyle.

Thanks a lot for these very helpful replies - I did not know that all charged attacks ignore armor, that is a big deal!

Given that, do you think a good plan would be to use a fragged and focus on increasing its base swing speed and damage instead of charge speed and damage, so that it would be possible to use the standard attacks rather than changed attacks and get the full "bonus" of 100% armor pierce on normal swings? Right now I use a furax, which is weighted toward strong charge attacks since it has such a good charge speed and damage, but I have to say it is sometimes a bit boring to use charged only.

On the infested issue, I totally understand why most people would prefer a slashing melee. However, I like to melee all types of enemies, and it seems like the fraggor has another advantage vs. the infested because of its larger aoe for jumping slams that will help it not be at too much disadvantage. This is especially true for me because I prefer to use a shotgun as my primary, so I am usually in good shape vs. infested anyway.

What I am hearing is that if you stick to changed attacks, the gram or scindo are the better options, but that the fraggor has some advantages if you prefer to hack and slash, use the big aoe slam, or melee grineer or corpus, which I do. I think I will give it a try, and keep in mind the downsides I've read here.

Final question, is the shaking effect really that bad?

Gram Little Girl

Scindo The dad Same damage corpus More With infested

Fragor Mom More damage vs Heavy grinners Its the greneader And same damage vs Corpus

If you a want a Charge damage Rage And Damage Choose Scindo A AXE Scindo Is the best Heavy melee weapon The gram Its more like a sword So the best Sword Is gram.

STOP! HAMMER TIME!

I personally love this weapon. It sends Grineer and Corpus flying! It seems frustrating when you first use it, but with the right mods it's a fun weapon. The AOE is great, tears heavy units a new one. Charged attacks help in mobs, but its not very useful against the Infected.

Fire rate is a must for this weapon.

I would recommend Fury/Reflex Coil/Killing blow/Pressure Point

After all, this is all personal preference.

=D

It looks great with my Rhino Warframe, because its a huge hammer, what else is there to argue?