Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Low Fps Because Of Hardware? Fps Around 20-40 (Cpu = No, Gpu = No, Ram = No, What Else?)

Zpraycle

I've been getting a low fps since the beginning.

I've tried all kinds of possible solutions but none of them helped me.

At first i thought it was my CPU bottlenecking me.

The reason for that is that i upgraded to a new graphic card: PNY Nvidia GTX 660 XLR8 edition resently.
And i get around the same fps (maybe 10 fps more) that i got with my old card: Radeon HD 4850.
I checked with GPU-Z and my gpu load is only 5-10% (really low) (yes i have the latest drivers).
My CPU load (with task manager) is at around 65% though.

The requirements told me that my cpu should support it (as the rest of the system).

Just wondering, does this game use multithreathening?

EDIT: 

After a lot of research about the issue, there are a few things that can be concluded that could NOT be a possible problem:

- CPU: my cpu load is only at 40-60% in game. i don't see this as bottleneck

- GPU: after upgrading from hd4850 to GTX 660 i didn't see that much of a difference and the gpu load is only at 11-35%

- RAM: i got 8GB and before 4GB (first single channel then dual channel) and no changes in fps.

The only possible problem i found could be my motherboard not supporting PCI-e 2.0 and something to do with Hypertransport on my cpu.

But then again i could play games just fine on high settings like BF3.

Things i tried without performance change:

- Install the latest drivers.

- Make sure temperatures are not too high.

- resetting bios to default

- making sure my specs are good enough (via the minimum requirements) mine is good enough.

- Changing ANY settings in game affecting graphics. It doesn't matter: everything LOW or everything HIGH = almost same fps 2% fps difference.

- Chaning Nvidia control panel settings from everything on quality settings or everything on performance settings. = almost no fps difference in warframe just like ingame settings.

Specs:

CPU: AMD phenom II x4 40 (3.00GHz)

GPU: PNY Nvidia gtx 660 XLR8 edition

Power supply: 650 Watt

8GB RAM 1333MHz

N68-s3 ucc motherboard
Samsung 1TB HDD
Windows 7 64 bit

Here is a link with my dxdiag file:

http://pastebin.com/vmaKEHBC

I have about the same problem as described here:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/21292-bad-performance-when-i-probably-should-not-have/

Edited by DuTchEr95

Try this : http://www.razerzone.com/gamebooster

It is a program that close all unnecessary processes and restores them after you exit the game. On some game it works like magic. On some not so much.

On my laptop in warframe I gain like 5-10 fps using this program. See if it helps.

Good luck

I tried that before but unfortunately it doesn't give me any performance boost :(

So i was in the livestream today. and i asked in chat if there will be any more optimalization for the cpu etc.

and he said yes, friday when the new update comes out there will be a big improvement for the cpu.

So all i can do now i think is wait until friday to see if i get better performance :) (i really hope so!)

That's awesome news. Especially since I also have a Phenom II x4 (a 945 though) @ 3 GHz and I also suffer from the same problems since the start of the open beta.

Let's hope we get lucky and it helps us finally play this as it was intended. I've already posted a few times in the General Bugs area and even started my own topic with detailed system specs and analysis and I would be happy to see that it wasn't for nothing... ;)

That's awesome news. Especially since I also have a Phenom II x4 (a 945 though) @ 3 GHz and I also suffer from the same problems since the start of the open beta.

Let's hope we get lucky and it helps us finally play this as it was intended. I've already posted a few times in the General Bugs area and even started my own topic with detailed system specs and analysis and I would be happy to see that it wasn't for nothing... ;)

ok so the update happend and they stated cpu and gpu would improve.:

"- Performance optimizations! Fixed portal/occlusion not working in network games, reduced network replication set. This should give a nice boost to low/mid range hardware, reducing both CPU and GPU burden."

but nope, nothing changed.. same fps as before. :(

I'm really clueless.. i don't even think that my bad fps is because of my cpu and gpu... 

I'm starting to think it is my hard drive. since i saw that the game needs to read a lot. i did task manager. then sourcecheck or something (in dutch it says "broncontrole" so idk how it is set in english). and i see that the hard disk is at 100% most of the time when in game. and i checked and it had to do with reading. it read A LOT. idk if this is normal. but could anyone else also check this to see if their hard disk is also at 100% all the time?

ok so the update happend and they stated cpu and gpu would improve.:

"- Performance optimizations! Fixed portal/occlusion not working in network games, reduced network replication set. This should give a nice boost to low/mid range hardware, reducing both CPU and GPU burden."

but nope, nothing changed.. same fps as before. :(

I'm really clueless.. i don't even think that my bad fps is because of my cpu and gpu... 

I'm starting to think it is my hard drive. since i saw that the game needs to read a lot. i did task manager. then sourcecheck or something (in dutch it says "broncontrole" so idk how it is set in english). and i see that the hard disk is at 100% most of the time when in game. and i checked and it had to do with reading. it read A LOT. idk if this is normal. but could anyone else also check this to see if their hard disk is also at 100% all the time?

While in combat with god-knows-how-many MOAs, this is what happened to mine.

http://i.imgur.com/7pkiD0i.jpg

Still... close to 0 most of the time.

Which settings are you using?

Do you have any other programs running?

Is Warframe running in windowed mode?

From what I can tell your system should run Warframe properly. (are the drivers you're using beta drivers?)

Yeah, no big change for me, either. Might've improved a little but not to the extent that I really can say my problems are gone.

My HDD is not really taxed, though. Almost no disk activity.

You might want to use something like "Process Monitor" to verify your HDD activity. Could've been something other than Warframe. For me it's still the amount of enemies nearby that directly affect my fps. Thus, bigger rooms / more players / big enemy wave in defense = more enemies = unplayable. But my CPU still isn't used fully even when A LOT is going on, so that can't really be the bottleneck. GPU stil is pretty much cool since it's not being used to render as much as it could.

Yeah, no big change for me, either. Might've improved a little but not to the extent that I really can say my problems are gone.

My HDD is not really taxed, though. Almost no disk activity.

You might want to use something like "Process Monitor" to verify your HDD activity. Could've been something other than Warframe. For me it's still the amount of enemies nearby that directly affect my fps. Thus, bigger rooms / more players / big enemy wave in defense = more enemies = unplayable. But my CPU still isn't used fully even when A LOT is going on, so that can't really be the bottleneck. GPU stil is pretty much cool since it's not being used to render as much as it could.

I think we have about the same problem mate :( 

We should compare our hardware and see if we have something the same that could bottleneck it.

Can you post all your specs please? including CPU, RAM, GPU, HDD, motherboard, power supply etc.

Your GPU drain is low when you monitor it, due to the GPU going IDLE if nothing is happening on your screen. AMD Phenom IIX4 is a strong CPU in games that support multicore rendering, not sure about Warframe.

Yeah i know but with GPU-Z you can monitor it. if you go in game and play for a while. and alt tab back to see the gpu load. you see the load how it was before you alt-tabbed out of it. (via the red line diagram thingy). it's a small line for me it's almost never above 11% gpu load.. so i'm pretty sure it's not my CPU or GPU . but idk what could be the possible problem.

Also it doesn't seem like warframe uses multicore rendering.. only my first core is doing the most work. the other 3 are a bit behind that.

Edited by DuTchEr95

What i'm also thinking is that i seem to get a lot of visual bugs. like sparks still there after a module being picked up, grineers staying in mid air with their limbs swinging after being killed. all kind of weird visual bugs. i think this has to do with the low fps i'm getting maybe. not sure. maybe my game isn't installed correctly? but i installed it twice and didn't find a difference.. i don't know anymore. any ideas?

What i'm also thinking is that i seem to get a lot of visual bugs. like sparks still there after a module being picked up, grineers staying in mid air with their limbs swinging after being killed. all kind of weird visual bugs. i think this has to do with the low fps i'm getting maybe. not sure. maybe my game isn't installed correctly? but i installed it twice and didn't find a difference.. i don't know anymore. any ideas?

Sounds completely normal, I see them aswell. Ensure the extra power connector (PCI-E) is in and your GPU drivers are up2date. Also ensure the game is running in x64 Dx11.

The sparkle after mods are picked up are to indicate that a mod was dropped there, I'm quite sure it's intentional so you can mark it for your teammates. The rest is buggy, though. That's not something you can fix.

Sounds completely normal, I see them aswell. Ensure the extra power connector (PCI-E) is in and your GPU drivers are up2date. Also ensure the game is running in x64 Dx11.

--

Actually, Dx11 is slower for my system, so I use Dx9 even though I could be using Dx11. It's always dependent on your graphics card, drivers (yay for sucky Catalyst crap ^^) and (of course) the game engine.

As for my system in general, see https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/21292-bad-performance-when-i-probably-should-not-have/ as I'm pretty much too lazy to reiterate my whole setup and troubleshooting steps here ;)

I guess everything's either written there or can be found in the dxdiag.txt that's been posted to pastebin and linked in the OP of the topic.

But since I've seen people on this forum with much stronger (and weaker) systems than mine having the same issue and sometimes even more extreme (down to single digits fps if they are to be believed) I really suspect a bug in the game engine which needs fixin'.

At least their multiplayer performance boost (see update notes) seems to have worked. I can somewhat play 2 or 3 people multiplayer games and they run almost as good (or crappy) as solo games now. Don't give up hope - it's a beta. :)

edit: as for your visual artifacts: corpses staying in the air = visual bug that I think everyone gets right now and will probably be fixed sooner or later, sparks after picking up mod = same as when picking up ammo: as long as someone in your game hasn't picked it up, it stays - it's intentional and actually, pretty smart. So no, I'm pretty much 99% sure your game is installed correctly. And the 1% error margin is only so you don't blame me if it isn't. XD

Edited by Dusklite

Sistema operativo
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 955    33 °C
    Deneb 45nm Tecnología
RAM
    8,00 GB Doble-Canal DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)
Placa base
    ASRock 890GM Pro3 R2.0 (CPUSocket)    37 °C
Gráfica
    JM01-22 (1680x1050@60Hz)
    ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner)
Discos duros
    186GB Seagate ST3200827AS ATA Device (SATA)    39 °C
    186GB Seagate ST3200827AS ATA Device (SATA)    39 °C
Unidades ópticas
    HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24LS70 ATA Device
Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

Last Updates:

The drop in frames per second, varies by several factors, stage size, small, medium and large amount of enemies.

With each update has increased the size and complexity of the scenarios.

Performance also varies with the amount of players at the game.

According to these changes, I play game 20-80 frames per second.

2D3i6xbl.jpg

Personally, my graphics card seems insufficient and outdated. (> _>)
Edited by NEOZEROCORE

Its the cpu lol

I have the same cpu, and it sucks.

I sometimes get upto 40fps in the mission.

I can downsample from 2160p and have the same fps, infact its slight a little more. But the frigging UI is too small to read, otherwise I'd stick to 2160p

Ok so the visual bugs i get are normal bugs in game.

Hmm.. I read somewhere to reset your BIOS to default after you reinstalled windows with someone that played sims 3 on low fps but other game like bf3 at good fps (exactly what i have right now with this game). i did reinstall windows a few weeks ago. I'll try and do that now and see if it works. but i'm almost 100% sure it won't work for me. since i don't see any reason why it would fix fps issues in only one game. + i didn't touch that much in the bios, only activated UCC.

The problem is that changing any setting doesn't matter which makes me confused. everyone keeps saying "change this setting, put this setting off, use dx11 64-bit mode" none of any setting i change works for this game. i keep getting only maybe 1-4% fps difference if i change everything to ultimate low to everything ultimate max, expect for the use of dx11 that gives me a little bit lower fps if it's on (i think). but ingame settings don't matter at all for me.

Ok so the visual bugs i get are normal bugs in game.

Hmm.. I read somewhere to reset your BIOS to default after you reinstalled windows with someone that played sims 3 on low fps but other game like bf3 at good fps (exactly what i have right now with this game). i did reinstall windows a few weeks ago. I'll try and do that now and see if it works. but i'm almost 100% sure it won't work for me. since i don't see any reason why it would fix fps issues in only one game. + i didn't touch that much in the bios, only activated UCC.

The problem is that changing any setting doesn't matter which makes me confused. everyone keeps saying "change this setting, put this setting off, use dx11 64-bit mode" none of any setting i change works for this game. i keep getting only maybe 1-4% fps difference if i change everything to ultimate low to everything ultimate max, expect for the use of dx11 that gives me a little bit lower fps if it's on (i think). but ingame settings don't matter at all for me.

Resetting BIOS would be nonsense, unless you had enabled some sort of a power-save mode in the past. The game, at its current state, is just poorly optimized for other than brand new systems.

Resetting BIOS would be nonsense, unless you had enabled some sort of a power-save mode in the past. The game, at its current state, is just poorly optimized for other than brand new systems.

I went to the BIOS and there were 3 settings to reset as default to: normal default, performance default (IDE/SATA) and performance default (RAID). the first one the normal one didn't help me. but the performance default IDE/SATA somehow did a little bit. not that much though. but i got a better fps in some missions. it's still no stable 60 fps unfortunately. around 40 fps avg.

But how come they wrote that very low specs(in the requirements) should be able to run stable. i'm sure they tested it before they posted those requirements, meaning they would get decent fps with those specs. it would make no sense that newer specs than that are written in the requirements should perform worse. 

Edited by DuTchEr95

Well, the 660 isn't a terribly powerful card, so I HIGHLY doubt your CPU is bottlenecking it. I'm using an OC'd 965 atm with a S#&$ty 6670 (480 is being rma'd) and getting 40+ fps at all times for the most part. Most likely just an optimization issue with the game and your specific hardware.

Well, the 660 isn't a terribly powerful card, so I HIGHLY doubt your CPU is bottlenecking it. I'm using an OC'd 965 atm with a S#&$ty 6670 (480 is being rma'd) and getting 40+ fps at all times for the most part. Most likely just an optimization issue with the game and your specific hardware.

seems like a lot of other people get the same problem here:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/21292-bad-performance-when-i-probably-should-not-have/page-2

Some people even have a very good PC and still get low fps in this game.

Could this topic be moved to the "performance bugs" section possibly?

I Updated my information with a dxdiag file and with what i tried already and what can't be the possible cause of my fps problem.

Moved to the appropriate subforum. 

There are a few different threads that share many similarities with the posts found in this one. We are currently investigating the culprit and hope to have some more information in the future. Sorry for the inconvenience. 

Moved to the appropriate subforum. 

There are a few different threads that share many similarities with the posts found in this one. We are currently investigating the culprit and hope to have some more information in the future. Sorry for the inconvenience. 

Thank you! :)

I really hope you guys can find the solution to the fps problems.

I'm already happy that you guys are looking into this :)

Thanks again.

Edited by DuTchEr95

• 3 weeks later...