Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Plat For Dogs, A Slippery Slope

Sixty5

Let me start by saying that I love U14, It has been relatively bug free for me, and all the new content is great. 

That being said, there is one point of the update that leaves a sour taste in my mouth, and that is the way Kubrows have been monetized.

To start with there is the gene scrambling. Now I wouldn't mind this so much IF we were given the option to choose, but instead we have the option of dropping 10 plat into our Kubrow to roll the dice on it. 

In just about every other aspect of the game, the use of platinum allows you to bypass the random wall, allowing you to get what you want faster and without the same degree of hassle, but here if you want to make changes it is all up to the RNG gods.

To put it into perspective lets look at it in terms of Warframes.

You have a Rhino, you like Rhino, but your Rhino doesn't look the way you want, but instead of the normal customisation options all you have is the ability to hit the Random button for the price of 10 plat. But you do it anyway, because you want to look cool. Now instead of a Rhino you have a Volt, and you like the way he looks even less than your Rhino, so you hit it again, and you now have a Nyx with a nice colour scheme, but what you really want is a Rhino, so you go back and hit the button again and again, each time losing 10 plat.

Not ideal.

The second, and bigger issue in my eyes is the Stasis time.

For those that do not know, if you have multiple Kubrows you will need to keep all but your active one in Stasis. If you want to switch them out you will have to wait three hours before your Kubrow is ready to be used in a mission, but for the low, low price of 10 plat, you can have it ready immediately!

I'd like to point out here that i have no problem with the timewalls that exist for building gear or researching things in the dojo, it builds anticipation and rewards thinking ahead, but sticking in timewalls for changing your loadout? REALLY? 

Imagine having to wait for 3 hours everytime you went to switch out your sentinel, or hell even when switching out your Warframe and weapons. It is a time-wall for the sake of time-walls and accomplishes nothing except a cheap money grab.

So DE please remove the stupid Stasis timewall, and allow us to choose our Kubrows appearance. There is no way in hell that I am going to spend 10 plat on a random chance at getting the look I'd like, but I'd happily pay 75 for a colour palette or a pattern chooser, and I imagine a number of other people would as well.

/rant over

+1 to this. I feel gypped to spend 10 plat only to be given something completely random.

Even if you have to introduce another feature that ALLOWS us to choose what we want for a slightly higher price in Platinum, I'll buy it.

Just... don't pin us down with this dreadful RNG if we're expending our Platinum.

Edited by Trowicia

DE needs to have walls like this to get people to buy platinum and use. 

They make a huge profit of impatient people.

I have no problem with rushing things in the foundry, or with the incubating stage, none whatsoever. But having to wait 3 hours to be able to switch out which Kubrow I am using is stupid.

Would you be happy to have to wait 3 hours every time you wanted to change gun? No? didn't think so.

Sixty5, you cover alot of major points without completely B,G, and C'ing, for that, good job!

I too find it REDICULOUS that there is a 3hour wait to pull something out of stasis, that's stupid. If i have to swap koolbros for a specific mission type how am i going to do that? waste platinum. NO THANKS.

and the ability to at least decide on what color i'm getting would be nice. i wouldnt mind paying 25 plat, let alone 10, if i could just pick my own head, body, and leg patterns, then use my own color palettes (which i also already paid for) to color my koolbro. 

i do not understand why DE chose to make koolbros cosmetically different from EVERYTHING else in the game. hell, i can even color my sentinel

as an aside, if they give koolbros an appearence UI like EVERYTHING else in the game, i'd totes buy some O'dat koolbro armor and interchangeable collars

Edited by VioDuskar

In their current state, I find Kubrows to be extremely lackluster.

As in gampeplay wise (bad AI, no vacuum equivalent mod, its a chore to look after on high level missions as they tend to die quickly), and how they are monetized (as described in the OP).

They need to be more useful, because right now I can't think of single reason why I should replace my trusted Carrier Sentinel with a kubrow.

+1 to OP.

Perhaps it should be made so that players can pay credits for a luck-of-the-draw, scrambling of colours and such. And if players pay in platinum, they are allowed to pick and choose. I don't like the idea of paying real money only to end up moving in a long-winded loop of discontent. 

+1 to OP.

Perhaps it should be made so that players can pay credits for a luck-of-the-draw, scrambling of colours and such. And if players pay in platinum, they are allowed to pick and choose. I don't like the idea of paying real money only to end up moving in a long-winded loop of discontent. 

i can dig it

Yeah, these two mechanics are extremely distasteful.  The stasis recovery time is 3 hours... many people don't even have that much time in a single sitting.  If I'm about to run a capture mission and decide I want to use my Sunika, I can't just switch out and use him.

So far I've been content with Warframe as a F2P game because I've been in control of what my money buys.  And nothing has felt like a terrible money-grab... until now.  This kind of stuff is disrespectful to players and the reason why I play no other F2P games.  I'm willing to shell out when it's deserved but I will not allow myself to be mistreated by game developers.  

DE needs to have walls like this to get people to buy platinum and use. 

They make a huge profit of impatient people.

Warframe's monetization strategy has until now always been pay4convenience and pay4fabulousity.

Now it's pay4convenience, pay4chance-of-fabulousity, and frankly that sucks. I'm not about to pay plat just to have a *chance* at my doge looking halfway decent. If I'm going to pay plat, it's going to be a matter of me customizing my doge completely. I'd be willing to pay more to allow this, but there's enough RNG in the game already, I'm sure as hell not going to accept it in the cash store, not when I buy plat to *escape* RNG.

Edit: Also the 'get doge out of stasis' timer also sounds terrible, but I can't speak directly on that since I only have one doge and haven't put him in stasis yet. It punishes players who don't have time to play often and doesn't even make sense from a lore perspective since Tenno come out of cryosleep in a matter of minutes, not hours.

Edited by Cpl_Facehugger

I wonder if things like this are being used as a test case.

Some big tax-evading, unethical business wants to muscle in on Warframe with its digital usury. Perhaps our DEv team is testing the community response while the issue is on our collective mind?

Or could it be that they're hoping to demonstrate that the PWE lottery model won't work for Warframe because of the established community consensus?

We'd do well to keep watching this stuff closely.